Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Elijah_Baley
Topic Author

Scam using USTVnow info

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:12 pm

A friend of mine that currently lives in France and uses USTVnow through a Roku received an email proportioning to be from USTVnow. He is not good a dealing with things like this as he is old enough to make me feel young so I contacted USTVnow for him and discovered that the email is a scam.

Since I know that a number people here use USTVnow I thought I would share the email and USTVnow's response:

The initial email was:

Dear ustvnow customer/client,

We are emailing you today because of an unfortunate circumstance that has taken place. Im sure many of you have heard about the growing copyright laws accross North America and how it is affecting bussinesses such as ours. Well today marks both a positive and negative day for ustvnow customers.

Unfortunately ustvnow is being forced to close its doors due to some copyright problems however we have been given some time for users to move over to another company that we were able to secure a percentage within. The company is called UseMyTv.com . This company is similar to ustvnow but also different. At ustvnow you were always limited to just 25-30 channels , all of which were based out of the United States.

The difference with Usemytv.com is that you get access to over 200 channels in HD , all of which are available to users from anywhere in the world, and also include channels from around the world. This means that you will get access to popular channels from the United States including Espn, Fox Sports, Abc, Nbc, Cbs, Fox, Usa Network, and more; popular channels from the United Kingdom including Sky Sports, Box nation, At The Races, Espn UK, and more; popular channels from Canada including Sportsnets, TSNs, Locals and more. With this we also have guaranteed as well as upon request coverage of your favorite sports like every NFL game, every NHL game, every NBA game, every EPL game, and more.

The price at UseMyTV.com currently is just 9.99 however that is the price only for the next few days because we are sending this email to users for the first time. Once it gets closer to the end of the month in which USTVNow will be no more functional, the price at UseMyTV.com will jump to 29.99 per month. However if you signup today and get yourself locked in at just 9.99 , we will honor that price from now on for an unlimited ammount of time.

We know that this is a bittersweet email, however there is much more honey to this situation , than anything else. We have made a major step in live online entertainment streaming from adding more channels to guaranteeing sports coverage that we could never do before.

What are you waiting for now? Run over to http://www.UseMyTV.com and register today to begin enjoying great coverage of all of your favorite channels from around the world.

//USTVNow Management
View this email in your browser
You are receiving this email because of your relationship with USTVNow. Please reconfirm your interest in receiving emails from us. If you do not wish to receive any more emails, you can unsubscribe here.
This message was sent to xxxxxxxxxxxx.com by ustvnowcom@gmail.com
38 Summit Ext, Mount Holly, Ontario, 05758

The response form USTVnow was:

HI xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Yes, a scam and it is not true.

As per our development team, we don't have any relationship with usemytv.com.
None of its statement is accurate about us.

Also, according to scamadvicer:
http://www.scamadviser.com/is-usemytv.com-safe.html
Usemytv.com is a Lithuania based company and not safe to do business with.

USTVnow is a United States based company with good review.

Kindly forward the email that you received to care@nationphone.com for further review.

Thanks and regards,

Mina
Customer Support Agent

28 West 27th Street 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10001
U.S.A
Tel: +1 (917) 746-8788 Fax: +1 (646) 514-4663

I have forwarded the scam email as requested and I hope that this post might help some to not get trapped by this scam.

Sorry for the length of the post but I did not want to edit out anything except the personal info.

EDIT: During my correspondence with USTVnow I asked if their database could have been hacked and they said "Not to our knowledge but we will look into it."

I do not know how much info has been compromised or how the address was found but I think that USTVnow is getting on top of it.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Scam using USTVnow info

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm

I got the same email purported to be from USTVNow as well (though it was in my spam folder). Something most certainly happened to their email database if a) this is a scam and b) lots of us got it.

vnazario

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello:

I got it as well last night. I immediately went to USTVNow website to see if there would be a "Shutdown notice" and to my surprise not a peep. But now I see that indeed my suspicions of it being a scam were true. Thanks Elijah for the confirmation.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

beq

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Interesting thanks :shock: Hope there hasn't been a DB breach...

I don't have this email but it could've been bounced at SMTP HELO, I'll have to check my server logs (I have custom rules to reject certain spam at the MX gateway level before mailbox delivery).

Seems the "scam" service is advertising a £9.99/month (GBP) promo rate, which is $15-16 (USD). Wants your CC for recurring billing, says to contact them to cancel. Seems to be website streaming via your PC or mobile, no mention of a Roku channel.

taomaster99

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:49 am

I received this email too a couple of days ago. Fortunately I only signed up for there free trial a long time ago so if they were hacked they didn't get my credit info.

lion7718

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:32 pm

taomaster99 wrote:
I received this email too a couple of days ago. Fortunately I only signed up for there free trial a long time ago so if they were hacked they didn't get my credit info.

Same :D
Roku Stick: 3800R
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

beq

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:04 pm

beq wrote:
Seems to be website streaming via your PC or mobile, no mention of a Roku channel.

Welp, I just saw earlier that a rep for UseMyTv.com actually posted to this forum looking to hire a Brightscript developer to make a Roku channel :mrgreen: Can't seem to find that user or thread anymore, probably already removed.