Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dfgsrzwer

Re: Sling---and its problems

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:05 am

In any event, the last few weeks have taught me not to stay up* to watch the season premiere of The Walking Dead. I'll wait until tommorow to watch it on AMC on demand (which almost always works on Sling). As a sidenote, their website really seems to hate the android browser, often locking it up or at least never finishes loading a page. That's not a good sign either. And I remember that IE doesn't work well with it either (the only way I could change my subscription, or even login on PC, was to use Firefox as IE kept looping).

*I have to get up at 4am, and it isn't worth it
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

turbomatic

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:49 am

The last 4-5 days sling has basically been unusable for me. A handful of channels work but it seems anything with a high viewer rating won't load at all. Premier of Walking Dead this past sunday night? forget about it. ESPN hardly ever works. I have a 50MB cable connection and everything else on the Roku works fine. The only thing Sling is good for is giving you access to the WatchESPN app. When I first signed up a month ago everything worked pretty good, albeit a little slow. Now the app is sluggish as all h%ll and most channels won't even load. Wonder what changed--more users? As soon as football season is over I'm cancelling.

scottypie1234

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:46 am

Baseball playoffs this week in TBS happened.

moreace01

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:44 am

Has anyone had this issue with Sling: certain channels - in particular, ABC Family - are 2 hours behind for me. Other channels will have the right programming on (according to what I see online), but ABC Family is almost always at least 2 hours behind (if not more). I would have thought this is a settings issue, but again, other Sling channels are showing the right thing. It's so strange.

ABC Family also consistently gets stuck showing commercials over and over and over again (I mean, I know they kind of do that, but at the same commercial break it will loop through all the commercials at least twice, then probably freeze (or I will hear talking but the screen is black), and then show the ABC Family intrastitial for 3-4 minutes.

I've contacted Sling and they said they have never heard of this - and are escalating the issue. I've deleted and reinstalled the app. No luck.

I've also done a factory reset on my Roku (stick), thinking that was the problem. Nope.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

RealisticDave
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:09 pm

I was the 'originator of this thread,' and I have problems with the on-screen guide, but I've never noticed that it has anything to do with time delay. Truthfully, I almost never watch any of the Entertainment channels on Sling. But I get frustrated with the incorrect programs and timing for sporting events. I primarily watch BeIn, OneWorldSports, and UDN, and I was quite often tuning in after a match had started---or missed it completely. I have an inexpensive tablet that I keep next to my TV chair, and I have an online programming guide (I use Zap2It, but there are others...) customized with only the Sling channels. I look at upcoming programs a day or two ahead (on my tablet) to choose what I'm going to view, then go for it. (If you don't have a tablet, you could do the same thing on your computer?) I've never had a problem, even choosing programs 2 or 3 days ahead, the tablet has the correct information. So, it's not like the channels changed programming at the last minute and Sling didn't update the info. I'd be willing to bet that with channels like ABC Family or other entertainment channels, you could look at the online TV guides a week ahead and the details would be right.

I'm just hoping that Sling updates and improves their technical problems first, then we can go after them to correct the on-screen guide!

dfgsrzwer

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:33 pm

moreace01 wrote:
Has anyone had this issue with Sling: certain channels - in particular, ABC Family - are 2 hours behind for me. Other channels will have the right programming on (according to what I see online), but ABC Family is almost always at least 2 hours behind (if not more). I would have thought this is a settings issue, but again, other Sling channels are showing the right thing. It's so strange.

ABC Family also consistently gets stuck showing commercials over and over and over again (I mean, I know they kind of do that, but at the same commercial break it will loop through all the commercials at least twice, then probably freeze (or I will hear talking but the screen is black), and then show the ABC Family intrastitial for 3-4 minutes.

I've contacted Sling and they said they have never heard of this - and are escalating the issue. I've deleted and reinstalled the app. No luck.

I've also done a factory reset on my Roku (stick), thinking that was the problem. Nope.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

The channel isn't behind, just the schedule. I've had problems with the Disney (and ABC Family is a Disney channel) schedules being behind. You have to use an external schedule until Sling decides to fix it (and no, they won't admit there is a problem even though all all their apps (xbox/roku/android) have the schedule problem).

Note that this was a problem in the past, and I have not seen it lately (though to tell the truth I have not checked the schedule lately either).
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

moreace01

Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:02 am

Thanks guys. So it sounds like others have had somewhat similar problems too?

I've had two issues - one where the guide and the channel is in sync, but showing a show that should have been on hours earlier (according to say abcfamily.com's schedule), but also every once in awhile it gets so jacked up that not only is the guide showing a show that should have been on hours earlier, but the actual show that is playing is even earlier than the guide.

For example, ok, this is kind of embarrassing to admit I was watching Harry Potter weekend, but yesterday ABC Family on Sling was showing Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (and the guide said this is what was on). If I went online to ABC Family's schedule, it said it should be Prisoner of Azkaban. And if I unplugged my Roku and plugged in cable, that is what I got. Then when I plugged in the Roku again and started changing channels and came back to ABC family, it was showing the very first Harry Potter movie - even though the Sling guide said it should be Chamber of Secrets.

I had something similar happen on AMC when watching the Walking Dead marathon last weekend. It doesn't happen all the time, or at least I don't think it does. It is just really noticeable for shows that I know the schedule. I also often get errors 8-101 and 11-601.

Anyway, its all jacked up and I don't know how to fix it. It sounds like, from what I've read above, it is a problem with Sling and not my Roku.

Fgrafton

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Same problems here. Sling ap crashes and freezes every few minutes. Sling works great on my pc, so it's not a network or speed issue.

Does anyone from ROKU read these posts? Where's the fix or at least we're working on it.

alan0805

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:10 am

i have problems with sling also. i'm gonna give it a week and if there is no fix i'm gonna drop em.

thetick

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:12 am

After reading all this I'm glad I have FIOS. Sling is just a sloppy mess. Cord cutting is for those who don't want to watch TV.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

raqball

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:15 am

thetick wrote:
Cord cutting is for those who don't want to watch TV.

Really? I get 47 OTA channels and record plenty of shows on my Tivo..

My Roku rocks Netflix, Amazon and Vudu for movies and I have several other Roku channels installed that I watch regularly..

I don't know how you came to this conclusion but it's flat out false!

Sling TV? Yup garbage but other alternatives will soon follow and hopefully they will be better than Sling TV.
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

raqball

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:19 am

Fgrafton wrote:
Same problems here. Sling ap crashes and freezes every few minutes. Sling works great on my pc, so it's not a network or speed issue.

Does anyone from ROKU read these posts? Where's the fix or at least we're working on it.

Yeah I've been having nothing but problems with Sling TV. I cancelled my subscription and it runs out later this week..

It's up to Roku to fix the channel. Roku simply provides a place for the channel to reside. Sling TV needs to fix it.

There has been an update rumored to the Roku Sling TV channel but who knows if that's even true and if it is, how long before it's released? Even then, will it still be 100% garbage?
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

RealisticDave
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:20 am

I'm the person who started this thread, and earlier this week I was about to go online and comment that I hadn't had any problems for the past few weeks. I watch footie all the time on BeIn, OneWorld, and UDN, and I hadn't had any autonomous reboots or streaming 'slowdowns' for a while. I thought that maybe they had actually fixed something? But last night, USA match on ESPN crashed twice, and trying to get back to watch CONMEBOL qualifying games with the online recorder from BeIn took me numerous attempts before I finally got the match---and not an 'error, try later' message.

FYI, I rarely use it, but I also have a Firestick and Sling doesn't do any better on it. So, IMO it's not a Roku problem but a Sling problem. I'm nearing the decision to cancel Sling and get my footy from Fubu (on Roku), they have all the football I want, but no international hockey...so I'm trying to be patient before I cancel. But I agree with other people, NetFlix and Hulu gives me all the entertainment shows I want.

_FailSafe

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 pm

I just contacted SlingTV support regarding the bugs with their app on Roku 4. Here's a copy of the transcript:

KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 1:54:44 PM): Welcome to Sling TV Live Support
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 1:55:01 PM): Hello how may I assist you?
Me (11/14/2015, 1:55:01 PM): Hi Kathleen
Me (11/14/2015, 1:55:53 PM): I use the SlingTV app on my Roku 4, but it is very buggy. Are you able to share if there are plans to update the app soon to address issues of hanging and such?
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 1:56:29 PM): I would be happy to provide you with that information. Can you please verify your email address and the last 4 digits of your card on file?
Me (11/14/2015, 1:57:00 PM): <reply hidden for security reasons>
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 1:57:08 PM): Thank you one moment please
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 1:58:32 PM): I appreciate your patience. I see that you are subscribed to the Best of Live TV package along with Sports Extra. Would you like to add a phone number to your account information?
Me (11/14/2015, 1:59:19 PM): No, not today
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 1:59:34 PM): Sling TV app is not fully supported on the Roku 4, we are currently working on releasing an updated version of the app on that device as soon as possible. At this time I cannot provide you with an Estimated Time or Date.
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 2:00:14 PM): When the updated version will be released
Me (11/14/2015, 2:00:57 PM): Okay. I hope it is soon because it is extremely frustrating. I am constantly having to exit the app and restart it just to continue watching a sports event or show.
Me (11/14/2015, 2:01:22 PM): In fact, if the update does not come before the next billing period, I will just cancel the service.
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 2:02:36 PM): I understand your concerns and frustrations. Our engineers are working very hard on releasing the updated version of the app on the Roku 4 very soon. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Me (11/14/2015, 2:04:39 PM): I understand it is outside of your control--please understand I am not frustrated at you. It is just hard to justify the amount I am paying monthly for the service when it functions as poorly as it is functioning now. I will keep my fingers crossed for an updated version of the app soon.
Me (11/14/2015, 2:05:20 PM): I appreciate your help today
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 2:05:31 PM): You are welcome I will forward your feedback to our development team
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 2:05:37 PM): Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me (11/14/2015, 2:06:24 PM): No, that is all for today. Thank you for passing on the feedback, too. Thanks again
KATHLEEN Y (11/14/2015, 2:06:27 PM): It was my pleasure to assisting you today. Please note you can visit http://www.sling.com to manage your account online or to check for more information and updates on our services. Thanks for choosing Sling TV. Have an awesome day!

I have about two weeks before I will cancel the service if they do not update the app. So many other app developers have functional streaming applications--I cannot understand why SlingTV has the bugs it has. Even on my Roku 2 XS, the [supposedly supported] app was buggy and extremely slow. I mean, for goodness sake, the Roku 4 remote even comes with a dedicated SlingTV button. If the SlingTV app is not fully supported on Roku 4 (according to the their CSR), why would it have shipped on Roku 4 and have a dedicated button on the remote? Anyway, I am hoping for an updated and improved version of the app soon for everyone's sake.

RealisticDave
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Don't have a Roku 4---just a Roku 2 and a Roku Streaming Stick---but I wouldn't hold my breath for Sling engineers to "release an update" any time soon. I imagine that Sling is set up as a separate company (or separate subsidiary) of DISH, the satellite company. But I started a thread on DISH's forum in 2014 about my model of satellite receiver suddenly having the (program) timer function stop working. I worked with their tech people and was told that "a software update is the cause, and we'll be correcting the problem soon." Same answer---no specific date available. I dropped DISH service after having it for almost 19 years when Sling came along (in my case, mostly because I had more options for the programming I wanted at a lower price).

But I still subscribe to the thread that I started last year on the DISH forum, and to this date, there are still periodic posts from people with the same problem that I had. And the replies on the thread from DISH people are always the same: "the issue is being worked on..." And once in a while, the CSR acts surprised about the issue, and writes that they'll "write up a ticket to pass along to our engineers." So, seems that this organization doesn't really correct problems, for whatever reason? On the plus side, watched 2 matches and the F1 qualifying, all from South America on BeIn and UDN today---and had absolutely NO problems!