Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MikeyC
Topic Author

Ditch WDTV Live or go with Roku 4?

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:24 pm

So I'm still trying to figure this out. I have a Roku stick in my bedroom and its great for streaming stuff in stereo (no AV receiver in the bedroom, just the TV). However in my media room, I have a complete home theater set up with a Denon AVR-S710W receiver. I use a WDTV live to stream movies and content from my media server. The little WD box handles pretty much everything I throw at it, with no transcoding needed from my media server. However, the WD TV box is a little outdated and does not have all the other streaming apps that a Roku has. My question is, can the new Roku 4 handle what my WD box currently does. I stream blu-ray rips untouched, most are Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD (all 8 channels). Thanks for any info.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Ditch WDTV Live or go with Roku 4?

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:16 pm

MikeyC wrote:
So I'm still trying to figure this out. I have a Roku stick in my bedroom and its great for streaming stuff in stereo (no AV receiver in the bedroom, just the TV). However in my media room, I have a complete home theater set up with a Denon AVR-S710W receiver. I use a WDTV live to stream movies and content from my media server. The little WD box handles pretty much everything I throw at it, with no transcoding needed from my media server. However, the WD TV box is a little outdated and does not have all the other streaming apps that a Roku has. My question is, can the new Roku 4 handle what my WD box currently does. I stream blu-ray rips untouched, most are Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD (all 8 channels). Thanks for any info.

I assume you won't throw out your WDTV when/if you get the Roku, so why not use both?

Rokus generally don't handle all the same file formats as other boxes, but if you encode your rips in a Roku-friendly format, you're good to go.

david0406

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:34 pm

MikeyC wrote:

My WDTV Live is painfully slow compared to my R3. I would not ditch the WD just because you need it for what you described above. From a purely streaming standpoint I would probably go with the R4. Just don't ditch the WD.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express

brienj

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 am

MikeyC wrote:

The Roku 3 will stream DTS-HD in MKV containers if you use the Serviio media server. Dolby TrueHD won't work however. I am not sure if the Roku 4 will even support Dolby TrueHD, since it only says Dolby Plus 7.1 in the specs, but then again, the Roku 3 doesn't say it supports DTS-HD, but it does.