Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Voldemort

Re: Help choosing Roku4 -vs- Roku3

Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:40 pm

kdford wrote:
Thanks for all the help and opinions guys. My current plan is to wait a couple of weeks and see if there are any deep discounts floated for Roku3. If so, I'll pick up three of them and be good to go for the next 3 years or so. If not, I'll grab Roku4's.

** just another note -- The last time I tried the roku media player, it wasn't even an option. Compared to something like Plex's UI, I can't imagine searching through hundreds of videos in the roku media player interface. I think they were all just icons too, not even thumbnails. Has this improved in more recent versions of the USB media player interface?

Thanks Again,

Kevin

Kevin, if you can wait longer, wait longer. My gut tells me that you want a Roku 4, but, if you can sit tight for a month and a half you will get some meaningful reviews of the new products and have a chance to survey Black Friday deals.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Heyitsrick

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:34 pm

kdford wrote:
Thanks for all the help and opinions guys. My current plan is to wait a couple of weeks and see if there are any deep discounts floated for Roku3. If so, I'll pick up three of them and be good to go for the next 3 years or so. If not, I'll grab Roku4's.

** just another note -- The last time I tried the roku media player, it wasn't even an option. Compared to something like Plex's UI, I can't imagine searching through hundreds of videos in the roku media player interface. I think they were all just icons too, not even thumbnails. Has this improved in more recent versions of the USB media player interface?

Thanks Again,

Kevin

I certainly don't know what will happen with discounts and all, but given that the Roku 4 is priced at $129.99 and Roku 3 at $99.99, it does give Roku the ability to keep that pricing intact on the Roku 3. Time will tell.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:47 pm

The Roku 4 can decode multichannel AAC(5.1) where as the Roku 3 can not.

The USB/RMP player doesn't do any decoding of video or audio or photos, it just serves as an interface to your dlna server or your USB filesystem. Once it identifies files it believes might be playable it presents them to you to select and then it passes the filename on to the firmware to do the actual playback.

Bacon

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:23 pm

RokuDale wrote:
If you have a 1080p tv the roku4 with display photos at 1080p resolution.
The Roku3 currently only displays photos as 720p resolution and then scales that up to 1080p for a 1080p monitor.
The Roku4 can go into sleep mode, saving power when not in use, whereas the Roku3 is always on.

It's a bit ridiculous 1080p tv owners need a 4K roku device to display the UI and photos in 1080p...

HarryWarden

Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:17 am

RokuDale wrote:

Good to hear. That was one feature I've been hoping for.

mikeyts

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:11 am

RokuDale wrote:

Decode it into what? Multichannel LPCM over HDMI? Can it decode any other formats, like DD 5.1 or DD+ 5.1? Can it read the downstream device's audio capabilities from its EDID block and send what it can handle?

Voldemort

Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:04 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
I certainly don't know what will happen with discounts and all, but given that the Roku 4 is priced at $129.99 and Roku 3 at $99.99, it does give Roku the ability to keep that pricing intact on the Roku 3. Time will tell.

Roku BF discounts have become a tradition (the Roki 1 was $28 at Walmart last year), but there will likely be other deals to consider. For instance, if a Sling TV subscription makes sense, there is the Roku bundle that currently discounts the Roku 3 50% but does not yet apply to the new model. That is quite a differentiator. The ads will be out in a few weeks. If op waits until 30 days before BF, he will at least have the opportunity to return of price adjust if a better deal comes along.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 am

mulitchannel aac is downmixed to stereo lpcm.
It has the same downstream audio transfer capabilities as does the Roku-3.
It cannot decode DD,DD+, or DTS but will send it out the hdmi and optical connector if it knows the receiver can handle those formats.
It can also decode multichannel flac and alac, downmixing to stereo lpcm before sending to headphones or hdmi and optical.

Heyitsrick

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:31 am

Voldemort wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:

Roku BF discounts have become a tradition (the Roki 1 was $28 at Walmart last year), but there will likely be other deals to consider. For instance, if a Sling TV subscription makes sense, there is the Roku bundle that currently discounts the Roku 3 50% but does not yet apply to the new model. That is quite a differentiator. The ads will be out in a few weeks. If op waits until 30 days before BF, he will at least have the opportunity to return of price adjust if a better deal comes along.

And Roku's own BF sale last year was for a lower-end model and the streaming stick. In both cases, the BF sales were for down-market boxes/sticks. But I understand the logic of the 30-day window. Like anything, it depends upon when you really want it. There's always going to be a future sale, but that doesn't help you when you want/need something now, right?

wingrider

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:45 am

I've been waiting on the four a long time I'm upgrading from an XS which has served me well with many many on hours on it. I wanted to skip a generation even though the three looked inviting. I'm fairly brand loyal so as long as Roku continues to build a reliable product that does what I need I'll stick with them even if it cost a bit more than the heavily subsidised competition

kdford
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:44 am

Voldemort wrote:
kdford wrote:

Thanks Again,

Kevin

Kevin, if you can wait longer, wait longer. My gut tells me that you want a Roku 4, but, if you can sit tight for a month and a half you will get some meaningful reviews of the new products and have a chance to survey Black Friday deals.

Good thought here.. I'll wait for potential BF deals. I currently have the legacy customer deal (20% off until Dec 31, 2015)...
If Roku keeps the 4 at full price, and since I've decided to only replace 2 of my players, the 3 -vs- 4 price difference is

$285-70 (2 x Roku4)
$175.20 (2 x Roku3)
----------
$110.50

Above is based on free shipping and 9.5% California sales tax.

So... Thanks EVERYBODY for all the input here, it's been helpful. I will hold off and see if the Roku 4 comes close to what I can currently get the Roku 3's for, during BF. I don't expect they will but one can hope.

clocks

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:45 am

Not sure if this helps at all (performace comparison):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvdxeaLraU

rickyjohnson

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:32 am

Black Friday Big Sale! upto 20% Off on all item store wide. offer valid 30-Nov-2015. Coupon Code: BFridaySale. grab it. visit my profile for store detail Famous Movie Jackets.
working as an Senior Seo Analyst for UK base organization for 5 years. Also doing free lancing on http://www.famousmoviejackets.com