Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bacon
Topic Author

Looks like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Just hit my Roku 2.
Last edited by Bacon on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon
Topic Author

Re: Look like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Found my first bug: live streams in FX NOW completely crash the Roku. Worked fine before.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:40 pm

What build did you get? I'm wondering if it's the same build they gave to developers to try out some new components (which is pretty horrendous and obviously not ready for release).

-JT

Grand Total

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:21 pm

renojim wrote:
What build did you get? I'm wondering if it's the same build they gave to developers to try out some new components (which is pretty horrendous and obviously not ready for release).
Number one improvement I'd like to see is the ability to prevent updates. Unfortunately that will never be implemented as they continue to try to monetize the platform.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.

Bacon
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:44 pm

renojim wrote:

-JT

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Grand Total wrote:
renojim wrote:
Number one improvement I'd like to see is the ability to prevent updates. Unfortunately that will never be implemented as they continue to try to monetize the platform.

You could always unplug your Roku from the internet...

Grand Total

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:49 am

mikebdoss wrote:
You could always unplug your Roku from the internet...
My Roku spent a couple of months unplugged from the power earlier this year. That worked pretty well too.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.

Tecmo SB Guy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:50 am

YouTube is a little "different" now.

The Good:

I see the YouTube channel banner every time I enter the channel now which indicates to me that the channel for lack of a better word for me "resets", so HD should play on every video. The loss of HD problem should disappear now.

Also I noticed the channel makes a different sound when you go through the menu items, picking a video to play. Not important but something I noticed.

Edited to add:

I forgot to add there seems to be a "remember where you left off in the video" feature now. For example, when you play a long video on YouTube on your laptop, if you don't finish it, the next time you go back to it, it'll remember where you left off and go back 20 seconds before playing. I haven't tested it a lot but this feature seems to on the Roku now.

The Bad:

I noticed most of the live streams don't play now. I'll click "OK' to play it and it'll immediately act like the video has played and ended and counts down to a new "not live" video.
Last edited by Tecmo SB Guy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

boostlag

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:00 am

Tecmo SB Guy wrote:

The Good:

I see the YouTube channel banner every time I enter the channel now which indicates to me that the channel for lack of a better word for me "resets", so HD should play on every video. The loss of HD problem should disappear now.

Also I noticed the channel makes a different sound when you go through the menu items, picking a video to play. Not important but something I noticed.

The Bad:

I noticed most of the live streams don't play now. I'll click "OK' to play it and it'll immediately act like the video has played and ended and counts down to a new "not live" video.

does youtube steam 1080p now on older Rokus?

Tecmo SB Guy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 am

boostlag wrote:

does youtube steam 1080p now on older Rokus?

Sorry I only have enough speed on my connection to get to 720p so somebody else will have to chime in about that.

Bacon
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:51 am

You can turn off the menu sounds in the settings. The channel is still limited to 720p though.

boostlag

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:11 am

Bacon wrote:
You can turn off the menu sounds in the settings. The channel is still limited to 720p though.

thats really disappointing, I can only assume Roku 4 will be using the same app. I dont know why it can't be in 1080p, clearly its a software limitation than hardware. Youtube app looks noticeably washed out and soft next to ps3/ps4/xbone. However Netflix looks great on Roku.

bvd1022

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Tecmo SB Guy wrote:

The Good:

Edited to add:

I forgot to add there seems to be a "remember where you left off in the video" feature now. For example, when you play a long video on YouTube on your laptop, if you don't finish it, the next time you go back to it, it'll remember where you left off and go back 20 seconds before playing. I haven't tested it a lot but this feature seems to on the Roku now.

The Bad:

I tested out YouTube last night on my Roku 3 after the firmware update to 7.0. I noticed the slight difference in the sound it makes that you’re talking about, but unfortunately the update has not fixed the major issue with Roku’s YouTube channel/app. If you try to play a playlist you may get one or two videos to play, but what will end up happening is on a second or third video you will get a playback error message.

For whatever reason, Roku is the only device that has this issue with their YouTube channel/app of all the streaming devices I have tested and use. I don’t know if it’s a compatibility issue in that Google releases a version of YouTube that is almost identical on every device and obviously some devices work better with certain apps than others or, if it is some sort of glitch that causes this issue, but I end up having to use my Sony Blu-Ray player or my Amazon Fire TV to use YouTube. Roku is my primary streaming device and I would much rather be able to use their YouTube channel/app without any issues as it will save me time from not having to go back and forth between devices.

dfgsrzwer

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm assuming (hoping*) that the new firmware is for current Rokus and not 2011(second generation) , as I have not seen it. I know that the first generation Rokus are not getting it.

*really really hoping...
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Elijah_Baley

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:53 pm

One of my Roku 3s has received the new software, it is the newest one. My other Roku 3, my Roku 2 XS and my Roku 1 has not received it.

The Roku 3 that has received it seems rock solid but about 85% of its usage is Plex and another 13% or so is the MLS. Those both are working fine.

I have had a reboot or two in the MLS channel while using the arrow keys to advance through the first few minutes of commentator drivel or halftime but that happens on my other Roku 3 as well and happened on the new one before the update.

With what I do I really see no significant change except the graphics in some of the menus are different. Not better or worse just different.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.