Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Exrace

Re: Looks like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:00 pm

I purchased a Roku 4 and trying to use on a older panny plasma system with a HDMI to DVI adapter connection.
The same cable and adapter works fine with the HDMI connection from my cable box.

When I first plugged in the roku the unit displayed fine until the latest update was applied.
After the update the plasma will no longer display video but the same cable and adapter will power a wide screen PC monitor at 720p.

Roku Model: Roku 4
Plasma: TH-42PHD7UY with DVI board
Roku Cable Connection: HDMI to DVI with Single link

-psiu-

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Have the 2XS and it's been relatively stable for around a year, after the last big upgrade followed by a couple updates (it would reset after a couple hours of watching).

After the update to 7 this time, which I hadn't realized was coming:

I've had two separate freezes in the main menus, light still blinking when remote is pushed, requiring a power cycle to revive;
Few more days and assorted spots during the day of "no network connection". Need to manually connect, sometimes it wants to pretend it doesn't remember the wifi login. It also likes to pretend there isn't a wired network available either at times;
Okay, I guess the previous Youtube version was ok! I take it all back and can we please have that one back? This one is essentially unusable with how slow/non-responsive it is.

Anyone one from Roku want me to PM any info? I have the model/serial, TV, ISP, most recent time info all written up.
Roku 2 XS

DallasGG

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:47 am

-psiu- wrote:
Have the 2XS and it's been relatively stable for around a year, after the last big upgrade followed by a couple updates (it would reset after a couple hours of watching).

I've had two separate freezes in the main menus, light still blinking when remote is pushed, requiring a power cycle to revive;
Few more days and assorted spots during the day of "no network connection". Need to manually connect, sometimes it wants to pretend it doesn't remember the wifi login. It also likes to pretend there isn't a wired network available either at times;
Okay, I guess the previous Youtube version was ok! I take it all back and can we please have that one back? This one is essentially unusable with how slow/non-responsive it is.

Anyone one from Roku want me to PM any info? I have the model/serial, TV, ISP, most recent time info all written up.

I have 2 Roku 2 XS's. Both of them have experienced the problem of freezing at the main menu with the light still blinking when the remote is pushed. The problem occurs when I haven't used them for awhile (a few hours or a day or so). When I hit the remote control to scroll over to select a channel, it scrolls over one time and then immediately freezes up. The only solution to get them working again is to power them off and back on. Then they start working again. The Roku 2 XS's were working very well with the last software. Now they're not. Roku, please fix the software so Roku 2 XS's won't freeze up!

Voldemort

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:49 am

Same here.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Tecmo SB Guy

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 pm

I have a Roku 3 and I've experience minor freezing problems since the 7.0 firmware came out.

I first noticed it with HBO Now where all of a sudden trying to use the replay button (the button above the rewind button on the remote) will occasionally cause the channel to freeze and I have to do a soft reboot to get the Roku working good again.

I thought it just might be that channel but then I saw the same thing happen when I play YouTube videos. I experienced freezing when I try to rewind the video.

I didn't have these problems before 7.0. My Roku was working just about perfect then. I sure hope the next software update after 7.0 will fix these problems.

Pompey

Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:30 pm

DallasGG wrote:
-psiu- wrote:

I have 2 Roku 2 XS's. Both of them have experienced the problem of freezing at the main menu with the light still blinking when the remote is pushed. The problem occurs when I haven't used them for awhile (a few hours or a day or so). When I hit the remote control to scroll over to select a channel, it scrolls over one time and then immediately freezes up. The only solution to get them working again is to power them off and back on. Then they start working again. The Roku 2 XS's were working very well with the last software. Now they're not. Roku, please fix the software so Roku 2 XS's won't freeze up!

I describe my similar experience at this thread ..... viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90961
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

zborgerd

Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:14 pm

7.0 hit our Roku 2 XS a week or two ago.

I've seen it freeze about 3-4 times now, requiring a power cycle. LED blinks when remote buttons are pressed, but nothing happens.

Roku (company) bricked one of my XS units a year or two ago. My situation wasn't unique, as several others reported it. Hoping that they didn't do it again.

robb213

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:41 pm

I've already sent in a ticket to support, and to the numerous affected channels, but figured I'd speak of my troubles here for those wondering "anyone else have this problem?".

So since updating to v7 build 9021, I've had daily problems.

1) Some channels get stuck in a buffer loop that won't go away, which is quickly fixed by resuming again. Channels that do this often for example are FXNow, Funimation, and Crunchyroll. Even troubleshooting with extremes on my own network (student in networking/power user here), can't solve it. But I assume this is more of a developer updated needed situation due to the OS update.

2) When the above repeats multiple times (I usually do a quick resume every episode or every few depending on the channel), after so many times the video stops playing, audio continues, and the Roku 3 keeps playing catch up with video frames speeding along. During this time the unit isn't responsive at all via the remote. Sometimes after 15 seconds or so of this the unit will allow me some control, or will eventually just freeze and reboot. In either case I need to reboot the unit.

To me this sounds like a temperature problem, but the issue is as amazing as it sounds my unit is rather cool, no hotter than a DTA box I have, cooler than the air spitting out of my water cooling loop for my PC CPU and...you get the point; it's in a well-ventilated area, so I'm positive it's not overheating.

All these problems started happening exactly when the OS/firmware update rolled out--couldn't be happier with the product before it, for many many months. Some users report similar things here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90974

------------------
Roku 3 (4200X)
v7 - 9021

xquestx

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Well I just wanted to let people know I'm also having problems with firmware 7 and My two roku 2 xs , both are freezing randomly , crashes with reboots, frozen remote. this all started happening on both after the firmware updates. any update on this situation? thanks.

beq

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:20 pm

+1

Seeing all these issues as well with our Roku 3's after 7.0 update. The playback freezes, stuttering, video lag, etc seem to pop up more often after doing Instant Replays.

Has Roku Co reproduced these issues with their test units?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:31 pm

No issues.

Roku 3 (4200) running 7.0 b9021
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

socantra

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Basil wrote:
No issues.

Roku 3 (4200) running 7.0 b9021

+1
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

beq

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:22 pm

I wonder if it's an issue of any channel using the standard Roku player vs custom players?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm

beq wrote:
I wonder if it's an issue of any channel using the standard Roku player vs custom players?

I use Hulu, Sling TV, Smithsonian, and Watch ESPN the most, and I'm not experiencing any issues. Don't they use custom players?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Elijah_Baley

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Basil wrote:
beq wrote:

I use Hulu, Sling TV, Smithsonian, and Watch ESPN the most, and I'm not experiencing any issues. Don't they use custom players?

I know that Watch ESPN uses the standard Roku player and I believe that Sling and the Smithsonian channel both do as well. I have no idea about Hulu.

Almost all channels, except for Netflix, use the standard player because for very few is there any reason to write a custom player. Even the new fancy Plex channel is using the standard player although Plex has said that they will be writing a custom channel for use in the channel they have not done that yet.

The standard player is more than sufficient for almost all playback needs.

Also I will just add that I am seeing none of the problems reported in this thread but I have had a few reboots while using FF and RW but I do not think that is related. However it may be related to the 7.x firmware being less stable than earlier releases as I virtually never had my Roku 3s reboot before.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.