Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Voldemort

Re: Looks like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

The quality of the updates has, traditionally, deteriorated with the age of the streamer. Roku 2 XS users have suffered through some terrible update cycles. The worst came after he release of the Roku 3. Now the focus of Roku development and testing is on the Roku 4 and, well, welcome to the club.

I do not use my Rokus much these days, but I have had to get up and cycle power a few times since getting the update. It happens before you run any app -- just navigating the tiles. In fact, it usually happens with the first arrow right press. When this happens, you can see that the Roku is reacting to remote input as the led on the front blinks after each button press. Otherwise, the box is hosed. The only remedy is to cycle power.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

DallasGG

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:34 pm

If the Roku 2 XS's are having so many problems with them freezing up, I'm curious why Roku wouldn't roll back the update for those models. I know that a fix for these freeze-ups won't be coming along very quickly so why doesn't Roku just roll back the update to an earlier version which was VERY VERY stable!!! What exactly were the advantages of getting version 7.0 anyway?

TheMadGasser

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:42 pm

I have a Roku 2 XS, thankfully after 3-4 years of service, I have had very little issues (other than how some channels work on an older unit). But, right after the latest firmware update (around Thanksgiving) I started having issues with my player. So far that I can tell is that it's a connection issue. At first, the Roku wouldn't recognize my router, even though it's been connected to it for years. I found a work around by connecting it with and ethernet cable and then switched it over the wi-fi. That worked perfectly and I was able to keep it on wi-fi until today.

My player was working fine, but having issues with load time. Then, it decided that it no longer wanted to stay connected via wi-fi. But here's the funny part. When looking at the network connection, it showed that it not only recognized my router but also had excellent signal strength. When I clicked on any of the channels, they either hung in their start up screen or just displayed a blank screen. With a impatient toddler starting to crawl up my nerves, I turned on my PS3 to connect online and had not a single issue (other than what he wanted to watch was on a Roku channel).

Anyone with an older model like mine have this issue?

I do want to say that my wife thinks the new start up screen is cute. I like the updated graphics on the Nebula theme, but I wish there was a way to keep the seasonal and promotional themes, but that's a different thread. If I need to PM someone info, I can. I am not at the location of my Roku, so the info won't be immediate.

TheMadGasser

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:55 pm

DallasGG wrote:
If the Roku 2 XS's are having so many problems with them freezing up, I'm curious why Roku wouldn't roll back the update for those models. I know that a fix for these freeze-ups won't be coming along very quickly so why doesn't Roku just roll back the update to an earlier version which was VERY VERY stable!!! What exactly were the advantages of getting version 7.0 anyway?

My assumption is like most companies, they want to their customers to feel that they will stand behind their product, no matter how old it gets, but they would rather you upgrade every so many years with the latest model. This isn't a totally shrewd business plan for anything in the technology field because there comes a point where hardware can't be upgraded. Not to mention that the Roku is constantly on and the heat that it produces (notice there are no vent holes) over time simply wears the unit out.

As to why they won't roll back, I am also under the assumption that they have no way of sending out device specific updates. That's also why there is this forum. Enough people let them know something is wrong, they will fix it and add it into a update patch.

I love my XS, but I am finding that there are more channels that interest me, I will eventually bog down my unit. I am currently running 102 channels/apps. I am looking into upgrading to a 4 after tax season and putting the XS in my son's room or in the game room. But until then, I am not giving up on my XS.

Voldemort

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:36 pm

DallasGG wrote:

My recollection is that the Roku 2 XS issues surfaced with the introduction of the ads on the right side of the screen. So, this is, first and foremost, a matter of generating revenue off the ads. Not sure what this update does.

zborgerd

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:59 pm

TheMadGasser wrote:
DallasGG wrote:

My assumption is like most companies, they want to their customers to feel that they will stand behind their product, no matter how old it gets, but they would rather you upgrade every so many years with the latest model. This isn't a totally shrewd business plan for anything in the technology field because there comes a point where hardware can't be upgraded. Not to mention that the Roku is constantly on and the heat that it produces (notice there are no vent holes) over time simply wears the unit out.

As to why they won't roll back, I am also under the assumption that they have no way of sending out device specific updates. That's also why there is this forum. Enough people let them know something is wrong, they will fix it and add it into a update patch.

I love my XS, but I am finding that there are more channels that interest me, I will eventually bog down my unit. I am currently running 102 channels/apps. I am looking into upgrading to a 4 after tax season and putting the XS in my son's room or in the game room. But until then, I am not giving up on my XS.

It's a shrewd business plan if the updates are mandatory and they break more than they fix. I would rather that they just leave the box alone if it is working and isn't bringing in any substantial feature improvements. Fact is, they have broken a perfectly working device several times. The quality control, particularly on the 2 XS updates, has been abysmal.

Roku may profit on the box but they also do make channel revenue, so there is some incentive to keep you on the device instead of sending you to a competitor's platform; Amazon, Google, Apple, etc.

Fact is, if they cause the lockups and don't fix them, people will leave and buy someone else's product. Nobody has any interest in rebooting a device every few days.

DallasGG

Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 pm

I really doubt I'll buy another Roku after this latest fiasco with the update to the Roku 2 XS's causing frequent freeze-ups. I can live with a device freezing up say, once a month, but when it's on a daily basis, it doesn't give me much confidence in the product. I wonder if they even tested this update on the Roku 2 XS's...I really doubt it!

Voldemort

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:21 am

TheMadGasser wrote:
I am also under the assumption that they have no way of sending out device specific updates.

This is not true. First, they roll out on a staggered basis, so they can target devices or models. Second, they once rolled back a particularly catastrophic update.

robb213

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Basil wrote:
beq wrote:
I wonder if it's an issue of any channel using the standard Roku player vs custom players?

I use Hulu, Sling TV, Smithsonian, and Watch ESPN the most, and I'm not experiencing any issues. Don't they use custom players?

I know that Watch ESPN uses the standard Roku player and I believe that Sling and the Smithsonian channel both do as well. I have no idea about Hulu.

Almost all channels, except for Netflix, use the standard player because for very few is there any reason to write a custom player. Even the new fancy Plex channel is using the standard player although Plex has said that they will be writing a custom channel for use in the channel they have not done that yet.

The standard player is more than sufficient for almost all playback needs.

Also I will just add that I am seeing none of the problems reported in this thread but I have had a few reboots while using FF and RW but I do not think that is related. However it may be related to the 7.x firmware being less stable than earlier releases as I virtually never had my Roku 3s reboot before.

He may be onto something. I thought about the players before and noticed how Netflix is pretty much problem free, while others that use the Roku channel framework (FXNow, Funimation, PBS, etc) have all given me problems--didn't think much of it at the time.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Plex released their experimental player alongside the visual/UI overhaul on the Roku?

-psiu-

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Voldemort wrote:
TheMadGasser wrote:
I am also under the assumption that they have no way of sending out device specific updates.

This is not true. First, they roll out on a staggered basis, so they can target devices or models. Second, they once rolled back a particularly catastrophic update.

This might not be catastrophic, but maybe disastrous would apply? Anyway, the WAF is plummeting, and at this point, the Twig of Flame may be coming out from a spare TV rather quickly.

Like others have mentioned, the marketplace is...competitive. Don't actively give us reasons to look at the competition! :?
Roku 2 XS

Voldemort

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:10 pm

This update has actually been worse than the catastrophic one and, frankly, seems to be more universal. The last one simply caused the Roku to spontaneously reboot. This one causes it to hang so I have to get out of bed, unplug the Roku, and plug it back in.

Hybride

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:40 am

Voldemort wrote:
This update has actually been worse than the catastrophic one and, frankly, seems to be more universal. The last one simply caused the Roku to spontaneously reboot. This one causes it to hang so I have to get out of bed, unplug the Roku, and plug it back in.

Ohh man, that sounds terrible. Getting out of bed and whatnot, I hope you have the power to survive through that in future.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:56 am

Voldemort wrote:
DallasGG wrote:

My recollection is that the Roku 2 XS issues surfaced with the introduction of the ads on the right side of the screen. So, this is, first and foremost, a matter of generating revenue off the ads. Not sure what this update does.

The only thing I noticed that this version does that 6.2 did not (other than response to remote commands more slowly...and Youtube (which did its own update at the same time) often crashing the device) on my XD is that it will automatically detect your analog display even if you were running 720/1080 HDMI before. That's one step forward, 3 steps back as far as I am concerned. If it's not broke don't fix it. The older models did not need (or even want) this update.

Edit---I almost forgot something very irritating, but may be very limited as far as other people experiencing it. Other remotes are sending signals to the Roku that were not sending before the update. This is especially annoying if I am "watching" two TVs at a time.
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Voldemort

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:10 am

Hybride wrote:
Voldemort wrote:

Ohh man, that sounds terrible. Getting out of bed and whatnot, I hope you have the power to survive through that in future.

It's not necessary to survive. I have the option of avoiding.

Weezknight

Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Voldemort wrote:

Agreed. Past updates caused reboots which were fine. The HDCP handshake issues with V.7 have made my Roku Stick nearly useless on 1 of the TV's in my house, which, unfortunately, happens to be the TV that gets 95% of the usage.

I'm REALLY hoping for a rollback or a quick update to solve the problems, otherwise there are a lot of Holiday offers out there for competitive products that don't seem to be problematic.