Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ValuedCustomer

Re: Looks like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:59 pm

I almost forgot something very irritating, but may be very limited as far as other people experiencing it. Other remotes are sending signals to the Roku that were not sending before the update. This is especially annoying if I am "watching" two TVs at a time.

I also have noticed this strange new anomaly on my 2XS. It is now picking up Infrared signals from my Motorola cable box remote. I couldn't figure out why it kept waking up when using the DVR. It seems that any key that is pushed on the Motorola cable box remote registers on the Roku as the last key that was pushed on the Roku remote. So if the last button pressed on the Roku IR remote was "up", every key pushed on the cable box remote is registered as the "up" button by the ROKU. Bizarre! There was never any such interference prior to the Roku 7.0 upgrade.

Wondering if all these erroneous IR signals may be leading to the lockup issue. When it locks up, it will still blink whenever a button is pushed, but there is no "on screen" response. The only way to get it working after that is to pull the power plug out.

ROKU, please push out a downgrade to to all 2XS devices until the problem is found. 7.0 is obviously not ready for prime time.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:35 am

@weezknight
What is the make and model of the tv you are using that no longer works with the Roku streaming stick? What display resolution do you have configured?
thanks
rokudale

SmilingBob

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 am

We have a Roku2 (new version, fast) along with (3) Roku LTs that we use in every TV room. Last night, I noticed that SlingTV was not working on the LT, displaying a message that I needed to update my Roku system software to the newest version. They are all on 6.2 (Roku2 is already at 7) and indeed the update showed as available to 7 and it initiated the update, rebooted and then - nothing. Still at 6.2 and SlingTV still does not work. I tried to do the update multiple times, no dice. Anyone else getting this?

dfgsrzwer

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:54 am

ValuedCustomer wrote:
I almost forgot something very irritating, but may be very limited as far as other people experiencing it. Other remotes are sending signals to the Roku that were not sending before the update. This is especially annoying if I am "watching" two TVs at a time.

I also have noticed this strange new anomaly on my 2XS. It is now picking up Infrared signals from my Motorola cable box remote. I couldn't figure out why it kept waking up when using the DVR. It seems that any key that is pushed on the Motorola cable box remote registers on the Roku as the last key that was pushed on the Roku remote. So if the last button pressed on the Roku IR remote was "up", every key pushed on the cable box remote is registered as the "up" button by the ROKU. Bizarre! There was never any such interference prior to the Roku 7.0 upgrade.

What's really worrying is that people with data caps may be unwittingly starting streaming apps while using their remotes to control their other devices. The only way to he sure is to unplug the Roku while not in use. I know I have seen the light flash on my unused Roku while watching OTA TV and changing the volume or channel.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Narcisa

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:36 am

OS 7 broke my Roku 2 XS. Unquestionably.

I'm seeing all the same signs others are seeing:

- freezing
- random reboots in ALL apps
- the remote signals for my TV (Sanyo) are being recognized by the Roku (for example, volume down causes a Netflix movie to pause)

I now cannot watch an entire movie or even TV show without a random reboot!!!

This isn't happening on my other unit, a Roku 2.

My Roku 2 XS worked perfectly before this "update".

Why do you roll out updates that break older models??? Don't you test anything??? Leave the old models alone!! Roll this update back for the older models, WE DON'T NEED WHATEVER THIS HAS TO OFFER!!

People should not have to upgrade just because they don't want a now-broken Roku that worked perfectly a few weeks ago! Breaking these units is like stealing users' property!

FIX THIS!!!!

Narcisa

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:10 am

I've now tried 3 times to watch American Horror Story #8.

I cannot get half-way through.

Since Fast Forward is not available for these episodes, therefore I cannot reasonably go to the ROKU REBOOT POINTS in the episode, I have given up on seeing this.

Gee, thanks, Roku, for the fabulous update that broke my Roku.

PS: In the same vein, you also ruined my viewing of "The Expanse."

Elijah_Baley

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:47 am

The Roku 2 XS has been unstable for years. The basic instability, which Roku has never acknowledged, is actually in every XS but not every XS exhibits it, gets exposed by a software update or a channel install or any of a number of other things but once exposed it very rarely goes away.

It is not any particular single thing that causes the problem but many different things can expose it. The update did not "break" anyones XS because they are all broken already.

Think of the XSs as having a balance inside them and as stuff gets added and changed and removed the balance gets weights added and removed form both sides. Most of the time the weights get removed and added evenly but from time to time something causes the weights to get placed unevenly and the balance tips. When it so tips it gets stuck and the XS becomes unstable. After the XS becomes unstable many things can easily cause reboots but the most common is playing local media.

The kind and nature of the media that consistently causes reboots has been extensively tested by me and reported to Roku through their poor at best beta program but they never found the problem or even admitted that the problem was real blaming the channel I was using in spite of the fact that it happened in EVERY local media channel I tested including RoksBox, Chaneru, Plex, PlayOn, MyMedia and even Roku Media Player. (their own local media channel)

Roku never even offered to exchange my XS so that they could test a known improperly operating XS. In spite of many many hours spent by me attempting to test and diagnose the reboots. I got the feeling that Roku really did not care and simply wanted to string me along until I finally shut up. It worked, I partially retired my XS by relegating it to playing music which did not cause reboots.

I finally solved my XS problem; I sold it. I informed the purchaser of the reboot issue but he wanted it for the bundled "Angry Birds" more than playing anything. He already had a couple of Roku 3s and the "Angry Birds" installs on all game compatible Rokus on the same account. So it was a real win-win for everyone. He got "Angry Birds" on all his Rokus and I got rid of a major source of headaches.

Roku, for some reason, has failed to provide any decent support to the XS users and I would not expect any different handling at this point. They treat the XS like the proverbial "red headed step child" and just want them all to fail so the problems they cause will go away completely.

I do not know why Roku has handled the XS issues so poorly but they have and no one should expect them to do any differently at this time. The XS is at unofficial "end of life" and all owners of them should treat them as such. If they are currently working well they may continue to do so for the indefinite future but they also may fail after any change at any time and become effectively unusable.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Abc12345

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:07 am

New AppleTV in the stocking? Been dealing with the reboot of all ESPN ncaa football replays for a month. Where is the acknowledgement from Roku that they broke that with 7.0 release? Does anyone there read their own customer forum? Everything breaks. It's how you handle the situation when your product breaks that defines you. Not pretty.

Narcisa

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:28 am

I never play local media.

The idiot-proof solution would be to not update the XS! Why "fix" what isn't broken? From what I gather, the XS has been stable for about a year. They should have just left it alone. Failing that simple reasoning, they should roll the XS models back to the previous OS.

This strong-arming users to upgrade is a form of theft, in my mind. I know it's pervasive in the industry but it's still wrong.

Narcisa

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:30 am

And now, from what I am hearing about ESPN, I'm screwed the next time I want to see tennis replays.

For me, that is a MAJOR issue.

I'm going to investigate Apple TV.

Narcisa

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:43 am

Awhile ago, SONY started these same shenanigans and now I don't know anyone who would buy a SONY streaming product.

dfgsrzwer

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:07 am

Narcisa wrote:
Awhile ago, SONY started these same shenanigans and now I don't know anyone who would buy a SONY streaming product.

I still own a Sony OTT box, and though I have not used it for a year I do remember it randomly rebooting as well.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Voldemort

Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:14 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
The Roku 2 XS has been unstable for years. The basic instability, which Roku has never acknowledged, is actually in every XS but not every XS exhibits it, gets exposed by a software update or a channel install or any of a number of other things but once exposed it very rarely goes away.

It is not any particular single thing that causes the problem but many different things can expose it. The update did not "break" anyones XS because they are all broken already.

That isn't really how things work. Computers are simple devices. You fill memory locations with instructions, addresses. and data and the computer runs those. The same thing happens every time you do this on the same hardware. I have domain over a large fleet of Roku 2 XS streamers. My experiences are not anecdotal. The case could be made that the R2XS was the best streamer Roku ever made.

The first R2XS stability problem (that I recall) came in March of 2013. March of 2013 was also the launch of the Roku 3. The instability was attributed to a new Plex app, but, in hindsight, was likely a consequence of the first time Roku shoehorned Roku 3 firmware into the Roku 2 XS. December of 2013 marked the first time Roku 2 XS problems were linked to an update (5.3 b3049). That thread is eight pages long. In another thread, it was speculated that the update was intended to block root access. Roku scrubbed the forums of information related to this at the same time.

RokuShawnS in Dec 27 2013 wrote:
I've been with Roku for almost 3 years. Almost every single time a firmware update gets sent out, you will see people posting with similar problems. In general, it's usually not the firmware that caused the problem, though it might be a symptom. Mostly, the problem is on the end-user side, rather than the unit itself.

RokuShawnS in Jan 21 2014 wrote:
We've identified an issue that is causing the problem. There isn't a way currently that I know of to mitigate the issue.

It should be fixed within the time frame of the next major firmware release (version release, not build release).

RokuShawnS in Feb 18 2014 wrote:
I can't confirm anything, except that the fix for the freeze/restart issue is in the next major software update, as stated previously.

The Roku 2XS runs on the same software (more or less) that the Roku 3 does. So when the Roku 3 gets, say, version 5.4 firmware, it's a pretty safe bet the 2XS will as well. I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future.

The eight page thread became very contentious and many of the participants no longer post here. It ends without resolution on March 24 2014. As with this update, there were multiple threads and this one runs sixteen pages through May 27 2014 with this post from RokuShawnS...

RokuShawnS in May 27 2014 wrote:
This thread will be locked due to the nature of the recent comments. I don't mind a redux thread, but KEEP IT ON TOPIC, and with any updated information for Engineering to help reproduce.

As it stands, Roku does not publicly comment on bugs, other than to confirm them, prior to releasing a fix. You may get more information or receive fixes earlier if you join our beta program.

In July of 2014, 5.5 rolled out and with that this thirteen page thread which ends in December with YOU attributing the problems to a hardware bug :mrgreen:

With the release of 6.1 reboots returned. By this point (April of 2015), few were engaged in the discussion. Now, we have 7.0 and the Roku 2 XS is unstable again. That's the Cliff's Notes (yes I am that old) version of the Roku 2 XS update history. Since the launch of the Roku 3, the R2XS has been unstable except for brief periods before updates -- the proverbial calm before the storm.

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Think of the XSs as having a balance inside them and as stuff gets added and changed and removed the balance gets weights added and removed form both sides. Most of the time the weights get removed and added evenly but from time to time something causes the weights to get placed unevenly and the balance tips. When it so tips it gets stuck and the XS becomes unstable. After the XS becomes unstable many things can easily cause reboots but the most common is playing local media.

The kind and nature of the media that consistently causes reboots has been extensively tested by me and reported to Roku through their poor at best beta program but they never found the problem or even admitted that the problem was real blaming the channel I was using in spite of the fact that it happened in EVERY local media channel I tested including RoksBox, Chaneru, Plex, PlayOn, MyMedia and even Roku Media Player. (their own local media channel)

Per RokuShawnS (above), is that software is being written for the Roku 3 and shoehorned into the Roku 2 XS. That is why the best solution is to freeze the Roku 2 XS at the last stable update. This cycle of pain is organic to their update process. Beta testers are telling us bugs are found before launch and that Roku knowingly launches buggy updates.

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Roku never even offered to exchange my XS so that they could test a known improperly operating XS. In spite of many many hours spent by me attempting to test and diagnose the reboots. I got the feeling that Roku really did not care and simply wanted to string me along until I finally shut up. It worked, I partially retired my XS by relegating it to playing music which did not cause reboots.

I finally solved my XS problem; I sold it.

Roku, for some reason, has failed to provide any decent support to the XS users and I would not expect any different handling at this point. They treat the XS like the proverbial "red headed step child" and just want them all to fail so the problems they cause will go away completely.

I do not know why Roku has handled the XS issues so poorly but they have and no one should expect them to do any differently at this time. The XS is at unofficial "end of life" and all owners of them should treat them as such. If they are currently working well they may continue to do so for the indefinite future but they also may fail after any change at any time and become effectively unusable.

The problem is that the Roku 3 is now the Roku 2 XS and the Roku 4 is the Roku 3. If they are developing and testing on the Roku 4 and shoehorning into the Roku 3, then the cycle migrates to the Roku 3s.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Weezknight

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:23 am

RokuDale wrote:
@weezknight
What is the make and model of the tv you are using that no longer works with the Roku streaming stick? What display resolution do you have configured?
thanks
rokudale

S/N on the streaming stick is: 2L644A053295
TV Model: Panasonic CT-27HL15
HDMI connection is 420p / 1080i only.

It is an older Television but it never had these problems until the day v.7 showed up. The HDCP handshake through HDMI always allowed the TV to scale itself to 1080i when 1080 was selected on the stick.

I have the Roku set to display at 1080, which is where it has always been. In the past if I tried to select 720 (which the TV cannot do), the entire screen wold go blank and I would have to do a full reset to start over. Now, since v.7, I can select 720 or 1080 and the display is showing a pale, stretched, screen that is certainly not 720 or 1080.

The biggest thing telling me there is a problem is that the stick is clearly not sending the proper signal. If I select 720 it should error out on the TV, but it does not. Instead it shows the same resolution as 1080, which, as I said, is not showing in 1080 (it's more like 4:3 420 res).

FX4

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:54 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:

I finally solved my XS problem; I sold it. I informed the purchaser of the reboot issue but he wanted it for the bundled "Angry Birds" more than playing anything. He already had a couple of Roku 3s and the "Angry Birds" installs on all game compatible Rokus on the same account. So it was a real win-win for everyone. He got "Angry Birds" on all his Rokus and I got rid of a major source of headaches.

I have never had an issue with my Roku 2XSs. At one time I was running 5 of the things all purchased at different times. I suspected back when people were complaining and I still do that people had some kind of network related issue that was buggering the things up. The one real ding I give Roku is their IP stack is not particularly robust or tolerant of network errors.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)