Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Elijah_Baley

Re: Looks like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:32 am

FX4 wrote:
I have never had an issue with my Roku 2XSs. At one time I was running 5 of the things all purchased at different times. I suspected back when people were complaining and I still do that people had some kind of network related issue that was buggering the things up. The one real ding I give Roku is their IP stack is not particularly robust or tolerant of network errors.

A network error that only the Roku2 XS is vulnerable to? That seems to be a pretty far stretch. My network system, for various reasons, was rebuilt from top to bottom several times while my Roku2 XS was under my roof and the reboots continued. I even tested it at a friends house and it rebooted regularly there.

You may have had good luck with your XSs and there are a number more that did and do BUT there are also a pretty large number of folks that have problems.

I think that the XS is just unstable and what tips them over the threshold is not known but once the failure, whatever it is, is exposed it very rarely recovers.

But this is really a moot point for me as I no longer have an XS.

I really hope, and believe, that those that think the 3 is going to fail like the XS because of firmware that is intended for the 4 being forced onto it are completely wrong and delusional in that belief. But conspiracy theorists are not always wrong as several recent (in term of the last few years) news stories and revelations have shown so I continue to keep my fingers crossed; but I would never harbor any superstitious beliefs.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:13 am

@ Weezknight,
What you are seeing is a bug in the new r7.00 firmware for the bcm2835 products including the RSS and the 2XS. A bug was filed more than a week ago. When you choose 720P or 1080P in the Display Type settings, you are asking for progressive. Your TV doesn't support either. The 6.2 software knowing that your TV didn't support 1080P would actually set the output resolution to 1080i for your TV. The current 7.0 software sets the resolution to 640x480P for the same TV, which is, as I've pointed out, incorrect. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give you any information about when this bug will be fixed. I can say that Roku does listen to customer feedback and treats the matter of customer satisfaction very seriously.
Thanks for your patience,
RokuDale

FX4

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
FX4 wrote:
I have never had an issue with my Roku 2XSs. At one time I was running 5 of the things all purchased at different times. I suspected back when people were complaining and I still do that people had some kind of network related issue that was buggering the things up. The one real ding I give Roku is their IP stack is not particularly robust or tolerant of network errors.

A network error that only the Roku2 XS is vulnerable to? That seems to be a pretty far stretch. My network system, for various reasons, was rebuilt from top to bottom several times while my Roku2 XS was under my roof and the reboots continued. I even tested it at a friends house and it rebooted regularly there.

You may have had good luck with your XSs and there are a number more that did and do BUT there are also a pretty large number of folks that have problems.

I think that the XS is just unstable and what tips them over the threshold is not known but once the failure, whatever it is, is exposed it very rarely recovers.

But this is really a moot point for me as I no longer have an XS.

I really hope, and believe, that those that think the 3 is going to fail like the XS because of firmware that is intended for the 4 being forced onto it are completely wrong and delusional in that belief. But conspiracy theorists are not always wrong as several recent (in term of the last few years) news stories and revelations have shown so I continue to keep my fingers crossed; but I would never harbor any superstitious beliefs.

If I saw problems on my Roku 2XSs sooner or later I would see it on my Roku 3s, but yeah you can see it on one box and not the others. Different hardware, it is going to respond to problems differently. I still run 3 Roku 2XSs. I haven't checked them lately and this OS7 may be a problem but as of the last 6.2 release they were running fine. They are in guest bedrooms so they don't see a lot of activity these days.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

kdtresh

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:55 pm

my 2XS has been [mostly] solid for almost two years. since the update (around nov 24) it has been freezing [on average] at least once a day, requiring a power cycle to get it back.

mrjlturner

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:01 pm

kdtresh wrote:
my 2XS has been [mostly] solid for almost two years. since the update (around nov 24) it has been freezing [on average] at least once a day, requiring a power cycle to get it back.

Talked w/ one of the MODs today that is working w/ me on this issue. He posted this on another thread:

----
Okay, this is a total shot in the dark, but for any of you experiencing this freezing issue, can you try something specific? Go to the Roku settings, select 'Audio' and assuming you have menu volume on, please try setting it to 'off'. See if that makes any difference with the freezing.

This setting only turns off the menu sound effects. It does not affect audio when watching content or playing games.
----

Give it a try and see if it helps on the lockups!
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

Voldemort

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:20 pm

RokuDale wrote:
@ Weezknight,
What you are seeing is a bug in the new r7.00 firmware for the bcm2835 products including the RSS and the 2XS. A bug was filed more than a week ago. When you choose 720P or 1080P in the Display Type settings, you are asking for progressive. Your TV doesn't support either. The 6.2 software knowing that your TV didn't support 1080P would actually set the output resolution to 1080i for your TV. The current 7.0 software sets the resolution to 640x480P for the same TV, which is, as I've pointed out, incorrect. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give you any information about when this bug will be fixed. I can say that Roku does listen to customer feedback and treats the matter of customer satisfaction very seriously.
RokuDale

Wow. First, thanks for posting this.

There are a lot of problems with this update. People are posting suggestions from anonymous mods. If some mod wants to send me an email detailing all the fixes, I would be happy to post it without attribution.

I don't know what customers Roku is listening to, but most want you to roll back the update until it is finished. I am confident you could get a group of tech savvy enthusiasts to assist in the testing of the update. Sign me up.

Roku should be embarrassed that the Roku 2 XS has been broken for most of the last three years. This isn't an 'SE' model or a stick. The Roku 2 XS was Roku's flagship and most of us paid a lot of money for them.

That's what *I* want Roku to hear.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Grand Total

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:11 pm

RokuDale wrote:
I can say that Roku does listen to customer feedback and treats the matter of customer satisfaction very seriously.
Actions, as the saying goes, speak louder than words.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.

Narcisa

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:05 am

Actually, I was mistaken...my model is an XD, not an XS. So these problems are hitting the XD, too.

What is so difficult about freezing updates at the latest stable release for the older models?

I see occasional references to "end-user" problems and LAN connectivity. That's rubbish. I maintain networks for a company that has a 26 million dollar budget, I think I know network problems when I see them.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:01 am

Narcisa wrote:
What is so difficult about freezing updates at the latest stable release for the older models?

I see occasional references to "end-user" problems and LAN connectivity. That's rubbish. I maintain networks for a company that has a 26 million dollar budget, I think I know network problems when I see them.

You enjoy supporting multiple operating systems? Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10? Fun isn't it? You wouldn't prefer everyone on the same OS? And you enjoy supporting Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016? Everyone using the same version of Microsoft Word?

I suspect you'd prefer everyone on the same OS and software versions if possible. And, I suspect those that do the companies books would appreciate the business sense of having to maintain a single version of things, since that's actually more cost efficient.

Sure, some users might find an issue or two with the upgrade, but I'm certain someone with your knowledge and expertise would seek to resolve issues as quickly as possible with as little detrimental impact as you can, but be aware that thinks can go wrong.

Roku 7.0 went through a months-long beta testing (a family member was part of this) but, from what I'm reading, the testing on the older devices didn't catch all the major issues.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

captivater

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:41 am

Basil wrote:
Roku 7.0 went through a months-long beta testing (a family member was part of this) but, from what I'm reading, the testing on the older devices didn't catch all the major issues.

Agreed the update shouldn't have been pushed to the older units. There's no effort to expend if the unit is declared EOL.

One too many issues slipped through the testing process. Look, the undertaking of simultaneously pushing the SW to three or four different HW permutations is something they probably could've done without. That type of development is a huge challenge even for the likes of desktop OS companies. I think they're somewhat overwhelmed, and my bet is that they're prioritizing Roku 4 issues before anything else.

Basil

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:21 am

captivater wrote:
Agreed the update shouldn't have been pushed to the older units. There's no effort to expend if the unit is declared EOL.

One too many issues slipped through the testing process. Look, the undertaking of simultaneously pushing the SW to three or four different HW permutations is something they probably could've done without. That type of development is a huge challenge even for the likes of desktop OS companies. I think they're somewhat overwhelmed, and my bet is that they're prioritizing Roku 4 issues before anything else.

My impression is that Roku 2 (new one) and Roku 3 issues were a greater focus. Roku OS 7.0 rolled out with the Roku 4 box, and the other devices afterwards. The family member in beta didn't test an older device (although there is an older Roku in that household, the testing done was Roku 3).

I suspect (but don't know) that Roku decided that the best option was to continue to support older boxes on a newer OS, rather than either support multiple OS or EOL a bunch of otherwise perfectly good boxes.

I suspect the older boxes can support the newer OS, but the bugs aren't worked out. Ideally, Roku should have had better testing on oder boxes or continued to support multiple OS with older boxes.

My gut tells me that beta testing didn't pick up all these issues. Whether that was because the testing was inadequate, or if Roku suffered from "Go Fever" I don't know.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

Weezknight

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:54 pm

RokuDale wrote:
@ Weezknight,
RokuDale

Fantastic news that they know what is causing the problem.

Very disappointed to hear, though, that there is no way to communicate to me when the product will be returned to a state in which I can use it for its intended use, something that I've been able to do for nearly 18 months. As a customer I'm not sure how you think I should feel, but disappointed is definitely the word that comes to mind.

Again, I'm glad that things are being worked on, but with the ambiguity about when this error will be resolved, I would like Roku to know that I will be using that time to look into alternatives to their product, something I will do begrudgingly since I really do love the Roku product. With so many great deals being offered this time of year, I'm hoping they come to a resolution for this quicker than I find another product.

bcm00re

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:04 pm

RokuDale wrote:
@ Weezknight,
I can say that Roku does listen to customer feedback and treats the matter of customer satisfaction very seriously.
RokuDale
If this is true, then why has it been almost a month since Roku rolled out version 7 software breaking WatchESPN's ability to watch NCAA Football Replays? Throughout this entire time, WatchESPN (and NCAA Football Replays) have continued to work just fine on AppleTV, XBOX, and on a PC.

Basil

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:18 pm

bcm00re wrote:
RokuDale wrote:
@ Weezknight,
RokuDale
If this is true, then why has it been almost a month since Roku rolled out version 7 software breaking WatchESPN's ability to watch NCAA Football Replays? Throughout this entire time, WatchESPN (and NCAA Football Replays) have continued to work just fine on AppleTV, XBOX, and on a PC.

Yeah, fer reelz. Why hazn't Roku pressed the Magic Fixit Button? It's not like stuff has to be coded and tested and such. Everyone knows they can just press the Magic Fixit Button if they wanted to. They must be a bunch of lying liars.

Or...

While I'm frustrated as others with the WatchESPN replays not working (at least, none of the ones I've wanted to watch work on my Roku 3, model 4200) I'm not going to call a Roku employee a liar because fixing stuff takes longer than I want it to.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

bcm00re

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Basil wrote:
While I'm frustrated as others with the WatchESPN replays not working (at least, none of the ones I've wanted to watch work on my Roku 3, model 4200) I'm not going to call a Roku employee a liar because fixing stuff takes longer than I want it to.
Perhaps you don't understand software development as well as someone who has worked it for about 20 years like myself. First and foremost, the fact Roku even released -- or rather pushed (because we were forced to it without any choice) -- this version 7 software without properly testing it is extremely unprofessional and makes the company look really, really bad. NCAA Football is probably the biggest, most popular sport in the USA right now (at least as far at $$$$ goes) and the fact they didn't even bother to verify their software "upgrade" worked properly with it reeks of sloppy workmanship that was rushed to release. And the fact their software engineers aren't smart enough to fix this (very big) problem after almost a month shows they don't have the best or brightest working for them -- but I guess we already knew that because that same team released this bug-ridden version 7 software in the first place. If Roku's software team was using any configuration control tools at all for software development, it should be fairly easy to isolate the source of the problem. Part of me has to wonder if their software development is being done offshore like in India -- that sure would explain a lot. Even without understanding the problem there is absolutely no reason that Roku boxes couldn't be rolled back to the previous software version (that worked fine with WatchESPN and everything else), but since that would cost Roku a lot of time and money they would rather just let their customers suffer with this half-baked version 7 software.

What Roku needs now is some bad press on this matter because until they are worried about it effecting their bottom dollar they seeming aren't worrying about it.