Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

juan2watch

Re: Looks like 7.0 firmware is rolling out

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:50 am

Last week I found that my Roku HD (2500X) finally updated to version 7.0 9044. Have noted zero problems since then. Previous to that it was stuck on 6.2 and would reboot a few times a day when in sleep mode presumably because it was trying to upgrade, but couldn't. Works fine with 7.0 now and seems just as fast (or slow, lol) as before.

dfgsrzwer

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am

Voldemort wrote:
RokuDale wrote:
Rolling back firmware after new firmware has rolled out comes with the risk of losing the usage of these major streaming channels that now depend on the newer firmware for their services and new features.
rokudale

Valid argument. I would add that it is not reasonable to expect Roku to support unlimited versions of firmware. On the other hand, you should be able to empathize with consumers who purchased a product which has stopped working due to a manufacturer update. Roku could offer a complete refund or a free upgrade (the Roku SE only sold for $25) to people who have been harmed by updates. I think a reasonable accommodation would be to 1) let people opt out of updates -- accepting the consequences of no support and potential application incompatibilities -- and letting users choose among older firmwares.

I purposely left out your final comment as although I agree with it, it isn't exactly true.

The rest of your post is good in theory but would never work in practice. Customers would then complain they were not aware of the consequences.
You can't please everyone, and the current policy is the best compromise.

Giving away free Rokus is not logistically practical either; not everyone's Roku "stopped working".
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Voldemort

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:16 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
I purposely left out your final comment as although I agree with it, it isn't exactly true.

Voldemort wrote:
Simply denying the problem exists is bad business.

This? Are you saying the problems have not been denied or that denying problems is not bad business? It's very true.

1. DENIAL:
RokuShawnS in Dec 27 2013 wrote:
I've been with Roku for almost 3 years. Almost every single time a firmware update gets sent out, you will see people posting with similar problems. In general, it's usually not the firmware that caused the problem, though it might be a symptom. Mostly, the problem is on the end-user side, rather than the unit itself.

2. CONFESSION:
RokuShawnS in Jan 21 2014 wrote:
We've identified an issue that is causing the problem. There isn't a way currently that I know of to mitigate the issue.

It should be fixed within the time frame of the next major firmware release (version release, not build release).

3. NO COMMENT:
RokuShawnS in Feb 18 2014 wrote:
I can't confirm anything, except that the fix for the freeze/restart issue is in the next major software update, as stated previously.

dfgsrzwer wrote:
The rest of your post is good in theory but would never work in practice. Customers would then complain they were not aware of the consequences.
You can't please everyone, and the current policy is the best compromise.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether breaking a product that worked until the end of the return period and deliberately preventing repair of that product is the best compromise.

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Giving away free Rokus is not logistically practical either; not everyone's Roku "stopped working".

I once bought a computer from Gateway. If was a 486 and gave me four or five years of good service before I moved on. About a month after recycling the computer, I got a post card in the mail saying the computer was part of a class action lawsuit. Apparently, there was a problem with the floppy disk. The post card said I did not need to do anything unless I wanted to opt out. Many months later, I got a note saying the suit had been settled and that I was entitled to a replacement PC. I'm guessing the lawyers got an even better settlement. I don't know the details of the suit, but I suspect it could have been avoided if they had sent out some floppy drives when the problem was reported.

So, it's really not a matter of what is logistically practical.

Also, Roku offered to replace my three R2XSs. They simply never followed through. When RokuShawnS PM'd me on the same subject, I thought he was going to tell me there had been a mix up, but he just wanted to warn me not to publish the email addresses of Roku employees.

Roku knew the Roku 2 XS was broken when they were ordering Roku SEs for Black Friday. They were aware of the streamer's history. It would probably have been a good idea to appease the sufferers -- especially with new televisions and Roku 4s hitting the shelves.

What should bother the rest of Roku Nation is this...

RokuShawnS in Feb 18 2014 wrote:
The Roku 2XS runs on the same software (more or less) that the Roku 3 does. So when the Roku 3 gets, say, version 5.4 firmware, it's a pretty safe bet the 2XS will as well. I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future.

because this is the root of the problem and this will be a problem for all older Rokus. Roku simply is not big enough to support the number of products they sell.

If you want to turn off features that are turned off by default and count to three before you arrow right, that's up to you. Have fun!
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com