Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jrijr
Topic Author

Holiday 2015 Programming

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 am

As we get into the holiday season, I am curious about finding the classic Thanksgiving and Christmas broadcasts, including:

* The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (on NBC)
* Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
* Frosty the Snowman
* Hallmark Channel holiday movies

I have Sling TV, so I can enjoy TBS "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve, but I'm just looking for other options to enjoy things with the family.

Thanks in advance!
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Holiday 2015 Programming

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:43 am

jrijr wrote:
As we get into the holiday season, I am curious about finding the classic Thanksgiving and Christmas broadcasts, including:

* Frosty the Snowman

I have Sling TV, so I can enjoy TBS "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve, but I'm just looking for other options to enjoy things with the family.

Thanks in advance!

Hallmark content is on Feeln ($4/month to $24/year).
Frosty is available on Amazon Instant Video ($10 purchase).
NBC content generally requires authentication against a TV provider (think cable).
Rudolph is difficult to find online, unless CBS offers it as part of CBS All Access. Even then, unless it's part of their on-demand content, you'd need to be in a market that streams live content to watch it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Darnell

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:22 pm

jrijr wrote:

* Frosty the Snowman

Thanks in advance!

So you can't get channels OTA? Since of course most of what you seek will air OTA.

But here's what I would do if I wanted those and was doing it before even cord cutting.

* The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (on NBC) - To get it live, you'd have to go OTA.
* Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - As was mentioned, you will be hard pressed to find this one anywhere online. If you don't have OTA for this one, you may have to buy the classics in a DVD or Blu-ray box set.
* Frosty the Snowman You can get this on Netflix, or just buy it on Google Play.
* Hallmark Channel holiday movies - You can use the recommendation already mentioned. Or if you know a show/movie you like. You can probably buy it from a service like Google Play.

jrijr
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:40 pm

I live ~60 miles from Indianapolis, where my nearest affiliates broadcast from. I have tried three different antennas, and cannot get a clear signal from NBC, ABC, CBS or FOX. So, as much as love my Roku, I don't get much local coverage. And, none of those stations broadcast on Roku for news.

I appreciate the tips... We've been trying to find The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - found it on ABC's website, but they lock it to computers, and we can't watch on iPad. Now if someone can provide a work-around to that, it would be appreciated. :wink:
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:09 pm

jrijr wrote:
I live ~60 miles from Indianapolis, where my nearest affiliates broadcast from. I have tried three different antennas, and cannot get a clear signal from NBC, ABC, CBS or FOX. So, as much as love my Roku, I don't get much local coverage. And, none of those stations broadcast on Roku for news.

I appreciate the tips... We've been trying to find The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - found it on ABC's website, but they lock it to computers, and we can't watch on iPad. Now if someone can provide a work-around to that, it would be appreciated. :wink:

The Great Pumpkin is available for streaming digital purchase on Vudu for $9.99 in SD, $13.99 in HD @ http://www.vudu.com/movies/?_escaped_fragment_=content/133980/Its-the-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown#!content/133980/Its-the-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown. If you purchase it on Vudu you can view it on any device with their app like the Roku.

If you go to the website http://www.canistream.it/ and search tv and movies for Charlie Brown you will find a lot of content available for streaming on the Roku via purchase or rental. Might even find some on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime if you have subscriptions to those. Might see holiday themed films and tv shows appearing in November and December on those channels.

Happy holidays and happy streaming!

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

jrijr
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:25 am

Blowing the dust off a bit...

Does anyone know if I can stream the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade through my Roku? Or, is it available to watch online somewhere?

Thank you!

mike_ekim

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:19 am

When I was a kid, and when my kids were young, it was cool when holiday shows were only available on TV at certain times during the holidays. Guess I'm old.