Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario

Re: Roku 4- Is it loud or just me??

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:33 pm

RumShark wrote:
Posting more information for my unit. I've never owned a Roku device before, so I'm unsure what I should expect, but this seems loud. Much louder than the example video posted by the reviewer.
https://youtu.be/HotYTGxcBt0

Hello:

Do not click on above link. It looks really suspicious. This source is quoting from this link but if you look at his link, it seems risky. Not to mention it is a user with just 2 posts:

This is a short vid demonstrating the fan noise I'm experiencing.... ugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hip3H8WN26k

Shawn: Please banish this user if indeed this link is malware/spyware related.

I apologize if I am wrong and being paranoid but the above URL seems like it is not legit. Use your own judgement. Just be careful. You don't want spyware/malware on your machines for clicking on links like these.
Last edited by vnazario on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

raqball

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:44 pm

A lot of url shortners ect use youtu.be..

I sandboxed and opened the link, looks legit to me..
Roku 3
Harmony Elite
Yamaha YSP-1600
Tivo Roamio with lifetime

ogmint

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:45 pm

vnazario wrote:
RumShark wrote:
Posting more information for my unit. I've never owned a Roku device before, so I'm unsure what I should expect, but this seems loud. Much louder than the example video posted by the reviewer.

Hello:

Do not click on above link. It looks really suspicious. This source is quoting from this link but if you look at his link, it seems risky. Not to mention it is a user with just 2 posts:

This is a short vid demonstrating the fan noise I'm experiencing.... ugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hip3H8WN26k

Shawn: Please banish this user if indeed this link is malware/spyware related.

It's not malware or spyware related. That is a legit YouTube link and URL. YouTu.be is a domain that is owned by YouTube. But I agree that you should "click responsibly".
Last edited by ogmint on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I own or have owned the Roku, Roku XD, Roku 3, Roku 4, Nexus Player and Chromecast

vnazario

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:46 pm

raqball wrote:
A lot of url shortners ect use youtu.be..

I sandboxed and opened the link, looks legit to me..

Hello:

Ok then. Thanks for verifying. Better safe than sorry.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

dssonic

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:09 pm

The fan isn't nearly as loud as I'd feared. As others pointed out, it is similar to a laptop fan. If I sit in a typical spot (8-10 feet away) I can hear the fan if the room is perfectly silent but it is very quiet. When watching tv or with other noise in the background (refrigerator, air conditioning, etc.) you can't hear it at all.

RumShark

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 pm

RumShark wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to freak out anybody with the shortened url (I just used the copy link feature on the YouTube page. Here's the full link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HotYTGxcBt0

Am I crazy thinking this is loud?

I only have a few posts because this is my first roku device...

vnazario

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:44 pm

RumShark wrote:
RumShark wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to freak out anybody with the shortened url (I just used the copy link feature on the YouTube page. Here's the full link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HotYTGxcBt0

I only have a few posts because this is my first roku device...

Hello:

I'm sorry for the over-reaction. again, better safe than sorry. You can never be too careful when dealing with suspicious looking links.
vnazario

marcmc

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:09 pm

RumShark wrote:
RumShark wrote:

RumShark - No, you're not crazy. Mine is also loud like this. Amazing that such an obtrusive noise is produced by a device that also delivers sound. Really defeats the point. I'm sending mine back immediately and sticking with the previous model.

wheelsmcfly
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:24 pm

RumShark you aren't crazy at all. Thank you for your video. Mine sounds exactly like that and I don't believe that is normal. I already asked for a replacement from Amazon. If the replacement isn't any quieter I'm going send it back again.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:31 pm

We could some more diagnosing of the fan noise.
Go to the secret platform screen.
Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

The temp and current fanspeed will be displayed. Please post results and maybe how loud you believe it is. The fan should be nearly silent at around 25%.

clocks

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:37 pm

RumShark wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HotYTGxcBt0

Mine sounds similar to this, and I think this is "normal" for this unit. It isn't too bad while watching something, but if the tv is off and I walk into the room, I can hear the fan going.

Disappointing. Just doesn't seem right for a streaming box. Tempted to return mine.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Also if you go into the settings/system/control other devices(CEC). you can enable system standby. If your TV supports CEC, turning off the TV will cause the Roku4 to go into standby mode, and vice-versa.
Last edited by RokuDale on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcmc

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:54 pm

RokuDale wrote:
We could some more diagnosing of the fan noise.
Go to the secret platform screen.
Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

The temp and current fanspeed will be displayed. Please post results and maybe how loud you believe it is. The fan should be nearly silent at around 25%.

Results here: temp 78 C, fan 85%, between 65-70 decibels.

Sometimes revs higher and louder, but once it hits the levels mentioned above, it stays there unless box goes to sleep. Roku in well ventilated area, fan ports not blocked.

Edit: Ambient temp around 70F, no direct sunlight. Fan noise starts when watching YouTube or HockeyStreams or Netflix. Haven't tried others. Even after stopping streaming and returning to home page, Roku remains at temp and fan speed above, with same noise level. Fan stays at 85%, temp between 77C and 80C, even when not streaming.
Last edited by marcmc on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:00 pm

I should have also asked, please post your ambient temperature around the box. And what were you running on it at the time? Is it sitting with direct sunlight on it? thanks. If it varies in temp, please post the range.
thanks again.
dale

clocks

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 pm

RokuDale wrote:
I should have also asked, please post your ambient temperature around the box. And what were you running on it at the time? Is it sitting with direct sunlight on it? thanks. If it varies in temp, please post the range.
thanks again.
dale

I'm testing mine a bit now. It's completely open area, on hard surface, etc.. How long to stream 1080p before the fan speed should peak? Also, how long after streaming before fan should spin down? Yesterday is was spinning while the unit still idle, the full 30min until the stand-by mode finally turned everything off. That seemed odd, because for instance a gaming videocard, usually the fans kick off a min or so once done gaming with it.

- Been about 10-15min. Fan is mostly quiet
- Room temp about 68 degrees
- 58c / 25%

Edit:
After about 35min - 59c / 25% Seems pretty stable. Now I'll see how long before fans spin down.

Edit2:
Been sitting idle for about 10min, and even with the fan still at 25%, the temp has risen to 66c. So temp started at 45c, went to 58-59 while streaming 1080p netflix, and now has gone up to 66c from the home screen?!?! I expected it to drop back down to the lower 50s/upper 40s.
Last edited by clocks on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.