Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wheelsmcfly
Topic Author

Roku 4- Is it loud or just me??

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Rook 4 owners. When you got yours did it appear to run a lot louder than previous versions or is it just my ears???

clocks

Re: Roku 4- Is it loud or just me??

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:22 pm

wheelsmcfly wrote:
Rook 4 owners. When you got yours did it appear to run a lot louder than previous versions or is it just my ears???

Does it sound like a fan? There has been speculation that, unlike the older units, Roku 4 has a fan in it.

jikdoc

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:49 pm

the fan noise is very loud, to the point where it drowns out sound at a normal volume. plus it doesn't turn off, the fan seems to be at full volume 100% of the time. not sure if i want to keep it...

clocks

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:53 pm

jikdoc wrote:
the fan noise is very loud, to the point where it drowns out sound at a normal volume. plus it doesn't turn off, the fan seems to be at full volume 100% of the time. not sure if i want to keep it...

That is troubling. My fan is quiet, but I fear it will get worse, since others are reporting theirs is already loud.

wheelsmcfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:56 pm

It's a fan and it is really loud yes. So loud in fact that I can hear it in another room when the TV is off. Glad I'm not going crazy! I wonder if a software update could fix that??

clocks

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Do you guys hear the fan the whole time the box is in use, or just when streaming? Any variation?

raqball

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 pm

I can't hear the fan on mine unless I put my ear close to the unit. It's on but not very loud..
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

clocks

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 pm

raqball wrote:
I can't hear the fan on mine unless I put my ear close to the unit. It's on but not very loud..

That has been my experience also, but I realized I have not really tried streaming anything for more than a few second yet. So I am firing up a movie now to see if I hear the fan ratchet up. I don't have 4k, so I can only check it at 1080p.

If the fan gets loud/noticeable, I am sending it back. Streaming boxes should be silent.

Kanyon21

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 pm

I just got mine up and running. I stepped out of the room and came back in and could hear the fan running. As long as we are watching tv, it is just a low buzz in the background. It is very noticeable when we have the volume low. Still not that big of a deal because it reminds me of my computer running so it is not anything new.

There is the option to have it shut off after 30 mins of inactivity so we are testing that out. It does make me wonder what it takes to get it turn back on though. I guess I will find out.

clocks

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Ok, after watching about 45min or so of a movie, the Roku 4 sounds like a laptop. Not terrible by any means, but I'm not too happy with this design choice.

wheelsmcfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:45 pm

clocks wrote:
Ok, after watching about 45min or so of a movie, the Roku 4 sounds like a laptop. Not terrible by any means, but I'm not too happy with this design choice.

Exactly right. It sounds like a laptop that has an overactive fan. Hope this can get fixed in the future. Love the speed but the sound is annoying!

ogmint

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 am

I received and connected my Roku 4 up this evening. Within a few moments of linking it to my account, the fan turned on and stayed on the entire time I was testing and viewing content. It is very loud. The sound is easily noticeable when viewing a program and often drowns out the sound of the movie. After closer inspection, it seems like the blade of the fan is hitting the inside of the top of the box. The top of the Roku is a bit concaved and with very little pressure on the top, the fan gets even louder and/or stops. I don't recommend trying that though. This has to be a defect. I have yet to see a review that mentions this noise. Roku needs to make this right and I highly doubt a software update will fix this issue.
I own or have owned the Roku, Roku XD, Roku 3, Roku 4, Nexus Player and Chromecast

wingrider

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 am

I'm disappointed, bigger I could have lived with but bigger and noisy no thank you, seems like a step backwards. I'll pass :(

clocks

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:50 am

What's also odd, is the fan doesn't seem to turn off until the unit goes into sleep mode. Last night it spun for about a half hour after I stopped streaming until the unit finally went to sleep. If the design requires the fan even went the unit is idling, that is a major concern. How bad will it be during the warm summer months?!?!

syphan

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:37 am

I will keep an eye on this post but if there too many complaints regarding fan noise I think I will pass. Its a pity as I bought the previous models and they were great. Might have to wait for a second generation model to come out once all the bugs have been worked out :cry:
Roku XD 2050
Roku LT
Roku XS
Roku 3