Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Isaac-

Re: Roku 4- Is it loud or just me??

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 pm

@rokudale
Ambient temperature is around 70. The box is behind the tv so it might be a bit warmer but not much
Cpu @ 77c
Fan @ 85%
I was streaming hulu in 1080p but the fan will run at high speed even on the home screen.
Please understand that this is a very loud noise. Comparable in volume to a microwave or refrigerator. It truly runes the viewing experience. This is the 4th or 5th Roku I have purchased and this is the only time I've ever been unhappy with one of your products.

clocks

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Starting to wonder if the CPU runs as max no matter what it is doing, rather than throttling down when idle. My unit continues to get warmer, long after stopping streaming.

nickmford

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:16 pm

As others have mentioned, the Roku 4 fan is the first thing you'll notice when firing up the unit. It sounds like my laptop except instead of being audible during heavy load, it's always on. Compared to the silent Roku 3 I can see why some people would complain. If you have the AC in the house running the fan noise is undetectable. If the room is completely silent the fan noise becomes an issue during dialog scenes with limited ambient noise. Since I purchased locally at Best Buy, I'll try exchanging and seeing if the replacement model makes any noise tomorrow.

raqball

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 pm

RokuDale wrote:
We could some more diagnosing of the fan noise.
Go to the secret platform screen.
Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

The temp and current fanspeed will be displayed. Please post results and maybe how loud you believe it is. The fan should be nearly silent at around 25%.

As previously stated mine is not loud but it can be heard in a quiet room if I listen carefully.

I watched Sling TV for about an hour and here were my readings

Temp: 68C
Fan: 25%
Room Temp was about: 72F

I'll test again tomorrow after watching more content.

Thanks!
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

streaming29

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:16 am

RokuDale wrote:
Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

The temp and current fanspeed will be displayed. Please post results and maybe how loud you believe it is. The fan should be nearly silent at around 25%.

Temp 70
Fan 25
Noise - Loud. It was unacceptably loud from the second I plugged it in. At first I thought there was an old Apple II floppy disc spinning up in there.

wheelsmcfly
Topic Author

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:22 am

I've been steaming a PBS show for ten minutes at 720p. The temp is at 75 and the fan is at 85%. Same results with Netflix and Hulu. Fan is loud enough I can hear it over the show I'm watching and when I'm not steaming anything it's loud enough that I can hear it in the room next door with the door closed.

wingrider

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:33 am

After some thought about what I want and need in an upgrade from my 2xs I'm going to go with the 2. I had been waiting a long time on the four I'm sure its a wonderful device but it's way more than what I need. And frankly I don't want something that big or that requires a fan I'm spoiled on small and silent. When it comes time down the road to upgrade to a new TV I'll look for a set that has 4K streaming built in. I'm a big fan of Roku just not big Roku's with a fan :)

gene0915

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:56 am

Wow, I sure hope this is fixable with a software update. I'd love to get a Roku 4 (was VERY close to per-ordering) but feared something like this and decided to wait for reviews. Glad I waited. If this can be solved, I'll put it on my Christmas list. If it can't, another Roku 3 I guess. :)

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:19 am

fan speed is controlled by the software.
Make sure your Roku-4 is positioned right side up. This means the flat surface is up. The top has the "Find My Remote" button. The bottom is rubberized. If you look carefully you will see the "Reset" switch there.
When reporting temp and fan speed. Please also touch the top and bottom of the Roku-4 and report if you feel they are too hot to touch.
dale
Last edited by RokuDale on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

raqball

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:20 am

2 hours steaming Twit this morning.

Temp: 66C
Fan: 25%
Room Temp: 70F

Top of box is warm to the touch and the bottom of the box is slightly warmer. I hear a slight buzzing sound if I get close to the unit..
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

twiceover

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 am

RokuDale wrote:
fan speed is controlled by the software.
Make sure your Roku-4 is positioned right side up. This means the flat surface is up. The top has the "Find My Remote" button. The bottom is rubberized. If you look carefully you will see the "Reset" switch there.
When reporting temp and fan speed. Please also touch the top and bottom of the Roku-4 and report if you feel they are too hot to touch.
dale

Is it required to run the unit flat on a surface with "top up"? If so that basically kills it for me as I don't have entertainment stands and my 2XS units are just tied to my tv mounts.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:46 am

Primarily we don't want the top side down. Vertical orientation is ok but the preferred orientation is with the purple Roku tag down.
The flow of the air in the Roku-4 is intake on the purple Roku tag side and outlet next to the USB port. It would be best for outlet to be on top where hot inside air can be exhausted and cooler air comes in from the bottom.

twiceover

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:50 am

RokuDale wrote:
Primarily we don't want the top side down. Vertical orientation is ok but the preferred orientation is with the purple Roku tag down.
The flow of the air in the Roku-4 is intake on the purple Roku tag side and outlet next to the USB port. It would be best for outlet to be on top where hot inside air can be exhausted and cooler air comes in from the bottom.

Good to know. If my Wal-Mart has them stocked I might get one today. Honestly the old units I just connect the cables and drop it behind the TV and have never thought a second about them again. Been there like that for a few years now, lol. I'll have to rig something up to ensure vertical orientation. Or maybe I take one for the team, crack it open, and start the Roku4 modding community. :twisted:

RumShark

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:13 am

RokuDale wrote:
Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

I can see why mine is loud now. 25% at immediate startup is nearly silent. even 85% isn't super loud...

Location: on top of entertainment center (wood surface), nothing within 8 inches of all sides. No direct light.

Ambient temperature: 67F

Reading 1: cold start up, 15 min idle at menu
Temperature: 85C
Fanspeed: 85%
http://imgur.com/ZmQpaYn

Reading 2: 5 minutes streaming Amazon 1080 video
Temperature: 90C
Fanspeed: 100%
http://imgur.com/h6XH8AQ

Reading 3: Stopped streaming, let sit idle 20 minutes
Temperature: 89C
Fanspeed: 100%

Edit: now idling at between 89-93C, fanspeed 100%

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:57 am

@RumShark,
Sorry for the inconvenience and trouble this unit is bringing you.
I have a couple questions.
Does the top feel very hot? hot? warm? lukewarm? cool? to the touch?
Bottom temp?
Can you detect warm air coming out of the side where the fan is? Next to the USB port there are about 7 exhaust ventilation holes.
thanks
dale