Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

waciii
Topic Author

Wide Variety of Roku 4 Issues

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:51 pm

New to the forum, wondering if anyone can suggest some advice. Have had a couple of Roku 2 XS with rare problems that at worst were solved with a power-off restart. Recently got a Roku 4 and expected similar seemless operations but have encountered a wide variety of issues.

-- Have been using the earbuds with the Remote a lot so Remote Battery life may contribute to issues.
-- Bought 3 relatively cheap HDMI cables of EBay which I would not have thought were a problem and have been switching between two regularly when issues arise.
-- Regularly come back after being away to blank screen or "audio only" notation on the TV
-- Power-off restarts and remote battery changes and HDMI cable switch eventually seem to get back to a Dancing Roku restart but there's no clear straight-path to accomplishing this every time
-- Have had the Remote Audio "de-couple" and required a restart to recover
-- Have had the Remote jam through repeat up-navigation to the top of menus and required a restart to recover.
-- Have a lot of variation of "floating" between pixelated-def vs. high-def which may or may not be a device issue or my network
-- Normal hangs like the 2 XS have occurred but are not of great concern.
-- Major problem is the power-off restart when I can't get a screen and having to replace batts, switch cables, and power-off multiple times with the permutations of the changes to recover.

Temp is 60C and Fan 25% at the moment and WiFi is receiving 362 Glitch/sec with b8792.

Advice appreciated?

Eric5676

Re: Wide Variety of Roku 4 Issues

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:35 pm

I did a forum search for my issues and found this thread so here's a bump.

We have found that leaving the Roku on and deactivating the auto shutdown has eliminated a number of quirks that we had and some of which you mentioned in the OP. Try deactivating that feature and just leaving the Roku 4 on all the time and seeing what happens.

I'm someone that typically likes to turn off electronic items when not in use so this goes against my grain but that's what we had to do and what was recommended in other Roku 4 threads for some of that behavior.

I haven't had another problem since except for the remote battery consumption which I will get in to momentarily.

Temp is 60C and Fan 25% at the moment and WiFi is receiving 362 Glitch/sec with b8792.

This is very good. You are definitely not overheating.

Here is our remaining issue and I gather this is an issue common for many, most, or possibly even all Roku owners:

Our issue remaining on the Roku 4 is the remote battery life. We blew through the batteries that came with the unit quickly.

I understand the use of the earbuds bleeds batteries a lot faster so we have taken that into account.

The Roku 4 gets roughly 6-7 hours of use with the headphones in a 24 hour period. Most of that happens overnight with my mother who is the primary user. ;) She unplugs the headphones when she is not using the Roku.

Brand new AA Energizer alkalines last barely two weeks with this regiment, best case scenario.

We're considering trying lithiums or going the rechargeable route. It's a shame these remotes are such battery hogs. I've never seen anything like it.

Does anyone have any recommendations along these lines or any further tips? Is this a technical issue or is this just the lay of the land for these devices? Other than this we are very happy with the Roku 4. :)

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Wide Variety of Roku 4 Issues

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 pm

The Roku 4 gets roughly 6-7 hours of use with the headphones in a 24 hour period.

Rechargeables are probably the best solution for that much use.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R