Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

LukeBK
Topic Author

Here is a unboxing of the Roku SE

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:53 am

This should answer some everyone's questions about the Roku SE hardware. If you have any questions let me know but I'll be working on a side by side performance test of the Roku SE and the Roku 1 as quickly as I can.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-se-unboxing-comparison-to-the-roku-1/

vnazario

Re: Here is a unboxing of the Roku SE

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:34 am

LukeBK wrote:
This should answer some everyone's questions about the Roku SE hardware. If you have any questions let me know but I'll be working on a side by side performance test of the Roku SE and the Roku 1 as quickly as I can.

Hello:

One difference I did notice with the unboxing of the SE was that the SE did not include the analog video cables that are indeed included in the box with the Roku 1. Maybe others can point out other differences.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

LukeBK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:49 am

Here is the Roku SE vs the Roku 1 user experience test.
http://cordcuttersnews.com/the-roku-se-vs-the-roku-1-user-experience-test/

Billy T Kidd

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:01 pm

The apparent lack of A/V cables is no problem for me.I have a million of 'em uselessly laying around in drawers all over the house :lol: :lol: :lol:

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Use the model number, Luke!

Frustrating to watch all video and not see the number mentioned - and that can help with many questions.

vnazario

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:39 pm

EnTerr wrote:

Frustrating to watch all video and not see the number mentioned - and that can help with many questions.

Hi EnTerr:

Actually, the model number was mentioned for both units. Coincidentally same model number for both the Roku 1 and SE from the video. Model 2710X. Also, both boxes had the same 6.2 firmware. So, the video comparison is indeed a re-branded Roku 1.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Heyitsrick

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:14 pm

vnazario wrote:
EnTerr wrote:

Hi EnTerr:

Actually, the model number was mentioned for both units. Coincidentally same model number for both the Roku 1 and SE from the video. Model 2710X. Also, both boxes had the same 6.2 firmware. So, the video comparison is indeed a re-branded Roku 1.

Yeah, that's what I noticed right away - the model numbers were exactly the same.

LukeBK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:22 pm

The more I use these the more they feel like the same device.

Speed apps etc work the same. Models numbers are the same etc.

AdmiralObvious

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:07 pm

LukeBK wrote:

I suspect that the difference between the two lies with the remote. The standard Roku 1 remote has a SlingTV quick launch button whereas the SE remote swaps it out with a Vudu button. I'm guessing Walmart paid them a fee to do that. The agreement probably calls for a set number of units hence the limited time availability.

The (sizeable?) fee and omitting the composite cables probably lowers the cost enough to where Roku can still make money even though retailers are selling this for $25.

Heyitsrick

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:23 pm

AdmiralObvious wrote:
LukeBK wrote:

I suspect that the difference between the two lies with the remote. The standard Roku 1 remote has a SlingTV quick launch button whereas the SE remote swaps it out with a Vudu button. I'm guessing Walmart paid them a fee to do that. The agreement probably calls for a set number of units hence the limited time availability.

The (sizeable?) fee and omitting the composite cables probably lowers the cost enough to where Roku can still make money even though retailers are selling this for $25.

But then it would be the "Roku WE", no? :)

AdmiralObvious

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
AdmiralObvious wrote:
LukeBK wrote:

But then it would be the "Roku WE", no? :)

They're also being sold at Best Buy, Kohls and at online retailers such as Amazon. I think in the past all the Vudu equipped ones were sold only at Walmart.

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:29 pm

vnazario wrote:
EnTerr wrote:

Hi EnTerr:

Not in the video i watched - the one that opened the topic saying "should answer some everyone's questions" (http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-se-unbo ... he-roku-1/) did not mention model#.

I just re-watched the video end-to-end because i could not believe i am such an idiot to miss it AND complain about something i specifically was listening for. It's not there. Now you go ahead and waste some time trying to find out at which second exactly the number is mentioned :wink: (But yes, now i read @Voldemort's it's 2710SE).

Voldemort

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:38 pm

LukeBK wrote:

Thank you. Glad to see the RCA connectors. Not worried about the composite cables. $0.99 buy it now on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5m-5FT-Triple ... Sw7PBToVu~

Between this and the $25 FTV Stick, a lot of people ought to be getting a taste of OTT this Christmas.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

mchasal

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:03 pm

EnTerr wrote:
Not in the video i watched - the one that opened the topic saying "should answer some everyone's questions" (http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-se-unbo ... he-roku-1/) did not mention model#.

I just re-watched the video end-to-end because i could not believe i am such an idiot to miss it AND complain about something i specifically was listening for. It's not there. Now you go ahead and waste some time trying to find out at which second exactly the number is mentioned :wink: (But yes, now i read @Voldemort's it's 2710SE).

It's in the 2nd "User Experience" video mentioned in that article. Specifically at about 0:35:
https://youtu.be/xl0-067MVQY?t=35s

vnazario

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 pm

mchasal wrote:
EnTerr wrote:

It's in the 2nd "User Experience" video mentioned in that article. Specifically at about 0:35:
https://youtu.be/xl0-067MVQY?t=35s

Hello:

Correct. It was mentioned at the beginning of the video. The video poster checked on the configuration screen on both models and both said 2710. The configuration screens won't say SE, RE, X or other packaging/retailing designations. With that said, both seem to have the same internal hardware. The differences are:

1. SE does not include the component/analog cable
2. SE IR remote is somewhat different than the Roku 1
3. SE is supposed to be shipped with Roku OS 7 out of the box (although the SE unit tested was still running version 6.2)
4. Shortcut button designations have changed
5. SE promotional/limited time pricing of $25 instead of `$40 to $50 which is what the Roku 1 usually sells for.

Am I missing anything else here?

I personally would've preferred a re-branded older Roku 2 to have component AND headphone capabilities than a re-branded Roku 1. Even if it cost say ~$35 to ~$45 a bit more than the SE.
vnazario