Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Elijah_Baley
Topic Author

Rdio has apparently filed for bankruptcy

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:18 pm

I must have missed the initial announcement but:

As Rdio files for bankruptcy, Pandora picks it up for $75 million

I found this little section intriguing:
Using Rdio's technology could radically change the face of Pandora. Thus far, Pandora has focused on algorithmically generated radio stations based on your tastes, but Rdio's service was a full-featured competitor to Spotify that let you play any song or album you wanted from its vast catalog. Pandora has never had specific music on demand features, so this would be a major shift in strategy that would let it compete more directly with Spotify. Pandora says it expects to offer an "expanded listening experience" by the end of 2016, which would presumably include Rdio's on-demand streaming features.

Good/bad, who knows but, since I am currently a Pandora one user I think it will be a good thing for me over time.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

raqball

Re: Rdio has apparently filed for bankruptcy

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:

Using Rdio's technology could radically change the face of Pandora. Thus far, Pandora has focused on algorithmically generated radio stations based on your tastes, but Rdio's service was a full-featured competitor to Spotify that let you play any song or album you wanted from its vast catalog. Pandora has never had specific music on demand features, so this would be a major shift in strategy that would let it compete more directly with Spotify. Pandora says it expects to offer an "expanded listening experience" by the end of 2016, which would presumably include Rdio's on-demand streaming features.

Good/bad, who knows but, since I am currently a Pandora one user I think it will be a good thing for me over time.

Pandora is probably next.. They lose millions upon millions every year..

Pandora stock crashed more than 30% after the company posted a loss of $85.9 million in the third quarter.

Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/pandora- ... ss-2015-10
Last edited by raqball on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

Elijah_Baley
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:44 pm

raqball wrote:
Pandora is probably next.. They lose millions every year..

Can you provide a link to support that statement? I have thought that Pandora has been profitable for at least the last few years.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Squatting Hen

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Sucks that we will still have the "wonderful " button on the remote. I am not a fan.

twiceover

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Trying to make the conversion from Slacker Radio to Spotify, but quite honestly Spotify isn't great when it comes to "radio". I don't want to make a bunch of playlists, but that's what all my friends do. Seems like too much work.

beq

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:10 pm

It's too bad, the Rdio channel on the Roku has a much better interface than the Spotify channel. Unfortunately Roku doesn't have many other "on-demand" music subscription services. No Google Play Music (surprisingly), no Apple Music (not surprisingly). And I recall having wanted a Rhapsody channel a long time ago, to no avail.

Squatting Hen wrote:
Sucks that we will still have the "wonderful " button on the remote.

Heh I was thinking the same thing (not that I have one of those remotes with the Rdio button).

Squatting Hen

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Yep. Rdio button on the just released Roku 4.

clocks

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Squatting Hen wrote:
Yep. Rdio button on the just released Roku 4.

This is why I am not a fan of the dedicated buttons on the remotes.

fluke

Pandora to acquire Rdio for $75 million

Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:24 am

Tech Crunch just reported that Rdio is claiming itself to be bankrupted and Pandora will be buying it out:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/16/confir ... shut-down/

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:36 am

Merged threads.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

dfgsrzwer

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:00 am

twiceover wrote:
Trying to make the conversion from Slacker Radio to Spotify, but quite honestly Spotify isn't great when it comes to "radio". I don't want to make a bunch of playlists, but that's what all my friends do. Seems like too much work.

Slacker is the service I use, and I like it a lot. Unfortunately, though I prefer to listen on Roku, the UI leaves much to be desired and playlists have to be setup on other devices. But it is still better than Pandora's "premium" service (the description of which did not impress me and was the determining factor when I made my choice). I do also have Amazon Music (complimentary; if I had to pay extra I would not have it) but that does not work on Roku and I have no desire to listen to music on an Android device.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

gkl

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:

Good. I like both Spotify and Pandora, but Spotify still has a lousy family plan and it hasn't done what is needed to its Roku app despite a lot of requests from its subscribers. I'd drop it in a heartbeat if I could get the music I want through Pandora instead and if Pandora offers a better family plan and Roku channel. Right now, I use free Pandora and pay for Spotify.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

beq

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:35 am

I wonder how long the Rdio channel on the Roku will continue to function (ie. I wonder when Rdio will enter bankruptcy, and if the service and apps will immediately stop then).

EDIT: Rdio said the paid subscription will be stopped starting today (Nov 23). No word when the (free) service overall will shut down, the expectation is early 2016?