Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

beq
Topic Author

Free, ad-supported movie/tv channels?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Someone asked me about free, ad-supported channels for just watching flicks or whatnot (they're not picky).

What are the better options on the Roku? Conversely, which ones have mostly redundant content and not worth adding?

- Crackle
- Viewster
- Popcornflix
- Snagfilms
- FilmRise
- adRise channels (Tubi TV, Vanguard, ???)
- Float Left Interactive channels (WatchFreeFlix, OVGuide, ???)
- ???

P.S. http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/19/tubi-t ... g-service/

Turns out Tubi TV is the same company as adRise (I'd thought adRise just makes apps for different clients). So does Tubi carry all the content from all the other adRise apps (is it a superset)?

Similar question for Float Left Interactive et al -- do they have one flagship app that has all the content from all the sister apps?

Desert Dingo

Re: Free, ad-supported movie/tv channels?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:53 am

beq wrote:
Someone asked me about free, ad-supported channels for just watching flicks or whatnot (they're not picky).

What are the better options on the Roku? Conversely, which ones have mostly redundant content and not worth adding?

- Crackle
- Viewster
- Popcornflix
- Snagfilms
- FilmRise
- adRise channels (Tubi TV, Vanguard, ???)
- Float Left Interactive channels (WatchFreeFlix, OVGuide, ???)
- ???

P.S. http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/19/tubi-t ... g-service/

Turns out Tubi TV is the same company as adRise (I'd thought adRise just makes apps for different clients). So does Tubi carry all the content from all the other adRise apps (is it a superset)?

Similar question for Float Left Interactive et al -- do they have one flagship app that has all the content from all the sister apps?

Ad-Rise channel or anything supported/developed by...I do not even bother with anymore. I do not mind movies or tv shows with commercials ...but every 2-4 minutes of viewing movie, and then a commercial, NO THANK YOU Ad-Rise.

mike_ekim

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:07 am

-Crunchyroll for Anime. I don't know who does their ads, but sometimes they glitch and can be annoying i.e. the same ad 10 times in a row in the same break.

Edit: Some new channels I haven't taken much time to test out yet, but I have a cheap cable package without ABC Family or The CW so these streaming options may be nice to have (and apparently with ABC you can authenticate with cable for new content/live stream, or don't authenticate and wait a week for new content):
-Watch ABC
-Watch ABC Family
-CW Seed

(edited again to fix channel names)

kbd48

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 am

Putting aside Crackle's irritating Roku app, I would say they top the list. Tubi TV has better content recently. PBS, NBC, FoxNow, History, A&E, CWseed, ABC, ABC Family, Crunchyroll, all those in varying degrees of usefulness and selection offer free content that would keep someone busy watching TV for quite awhile.
Edit: forgot to ad PlutoTV and Filmon have lots of content.

gkl

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Here are the Roku channels I have loaded right now that are free and provide at least some free content (some are audio, some video, some are a mix):

YouTube
Podcast
Pandora
iHeart Radio
Live365
TuneIn
Smithsonian Channel
WeatherNation TV
SkyNews
MHz Live
NBC
HuffPost Live
History
Popcornflix Kids
PBS Kids
Chaplin Channel
CNBC
Bloomberg TV
CBSNews
ABCNews
Red Bull TV
ebru
byutv
MLB.TV (Free Game of the Day)
WatchESPN (free content on the ESPN3 service)
NewsOn
Popular Science
Portico
Watch ABC
PlutoTV

My favorites through Nowhere:

Deutsche World
France 24
NHK World
Russia Today
C-SPAN
Live Well Network
Classic Arts Showcase

Others I have had loaded in the past:

Crackle
Popcornflix
the b/w
AMGTV
MiCasa

There are a lot more than that even excluding all the religious and shopping channels.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Exress
Apple TV 3
1 Mohu Sky, 1 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

beq
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone for all the useful recommendations, will pass them along.

dennphill

Re: Free, ad-supported movie/tv channels? - CAS

Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:36 am

I've posted elsewhere (June 2015, but closed posts now) that I was very happy to find Classic Arts Showcase feed on the Nowhere TV channel. After several months - last Fall - the feed became very spotty. Still like that. There were/are periods of "Loading - please wait" black screens that went from seconds on then a fine picture for seconds, OR minutes off, then sometimes back on or the ROKU (both on a ROKU 2 on wireless and a 3 on my ethernet) would frequently reset...or I could just use the back button an reload the channel. Then sometimes it was fine for up to a half-hour or so, then for no reason the buffering came on to the point is was frequently unwatchable. Email - after halving given contributions to the Nowhereman - blamed either my connection (not an issue - cable TV with reliable 50 Mbps d/l speed), my in-home wireless (but the same whether the wireless ROKU or the ethernet ROKU), or the actual feed form the provider (Classic Arts Showcase itself). (Re: the latter claim, I took my ROKU out to Seattle last month when visiting family (and they have Comcast and a local PBS station that also shows CAS, and with the ROKU on and watching CAS, when it began buffering, there was no such issue with the cable PBS CAS channel.) The problem is the spotty feed that the Nowhereman provides for the ROKU feed channels. Wish they would upgrade their equipment, or whatever so that the station was reliably watchable. I really think the CAS programming is interesting and enjoyable. By the way on both my ROKUs, there is very little buffering on the Metropolitan Opera (for pay) streaming channel, or Amazon Prime (currently a member) or the few other ROKU channels I view. The problem is with the Nowhere TV CAS feed. I should admit that the other Nowhere TV channels I occasionally watch - mostly the Archive TV and movie feeds - do not have a problem. Just (unfortunately) CAS.