Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

steelersrule
Topic Author

Is the ROKU 4 just a BAD product?

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I am not trolling. I have three ROKU 3's, and a ROKU 1 running right now.

I am asking because there seems to be a PLETHORA of threads in this ROKU Forum about the ROKU 4 just having not just one problem, but multiple problems.

And they seem to run the gamut from the apps themselves on the ROKU 4, to power issues, etc....

Sounds like ROKU never should have released this unit. It was not ready for prime time it seems.

Did ROKU make a mistake?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Is the ROKU 4 just a BAD product?

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:22 pm

steelersrule wrote:
I am not trolling. I have three ROKU 3's, and a ROKU 1 running right now.

I am asking because there seems to be a PLETHORA of threads in this ROKU Forum about the ROKU 4 just having not just one problem, but multiple problems.

And they seem to run the gamut from the apps themselves on the ROKU 4, to power issues, etc....

Sounds like ROKU never should have released this unit. It was not ready for prime time it seems.

Did ROKU make a mistake?

Go back and read the threads about the Roku 3 when it came out. The discussions were similar about all sorts of topics. There are definitely some bad Roku 4 units, but I'd wager most are just fine.

twiceover

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:17 pm

It'll smooth out. Unfortunately I need a new unit sooner rather than later so looks like I'm buying the next refurb Roku3.

Roku keeps sending me emails about my old N1000 that is on my account offering me a discount to move up, but no discount to move up to the R4. Sigh.

LDBetaGuy

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:51 pm

In my opinion, the inclusion of a cooling fan was the major mistake. I think most other issues will be resolved with software updates. The fan noise was why I returnd two Roku 4 units and went back to a Roku 3. The Roku 4 should have been designed with passive cooling, even if this would have necessitated a radically differnt design.

clocks

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:29 pm

LDBetaGuy wrote:
In my opinion, the inclusion of a cooling fan was the major mistake. I think most other issues will be resolved with software updates. The fan noise was why I returnd two Roku 4 units and went back to a Roku 3. The Roku 4 should have been designed with passive cooling, even if this would have necessitated a radically differnt design.

I agree 100%.

JW1200

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Good points folks. I have a R3 and 2 R2 XS's. I am chomping at the bit to get a R4, but I won't till they get it straighten out.

TheEndless

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:12 pm

LDBetaGuy wrote:

Devil's advocate... aside from during reboot, I never hear the fan in my Roku 4, and it's literally sitting two feet away from me on my desk where I do all of my development.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

vnazario

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:44 am

TheEndless wrote:
LDBetaGuy wrote:

Devil's advocate... aside from during reboot, I never hear the fan in my Roku 4, and it's literally sitting two feet away from me on my desk where I do all of my development.

Hello:

I guess we are at both ends of the spectrum here. We have those lucky ones that have no problems and those with many problems. IMO Roku 4 is a "Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best" product. It seems that there are many defective units out there and not just a handful.

I would play it safe and buy a Roku 3 instead. But, if you want to risk getting a Roku 4, don't order online and just buy at a local store with good CS and return policy like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. in case you need to get it exchanged quickly.

I would like to get one myself, but instead I am monitoring Roku's handling and progress with this. When the storm calms down and issues are resolved and it seems Roku 4 is "now" a reliable product, I will then take the plunge and get one.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

knuckle

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 am

IDK about that ... do you see a lot of issues on this forum? yes but this is Roku forum,folks with problems come here for help ... lets assume that 10,000 units have sold and of those 200 had a problem ( which Roku is very proactive about taking care of) which would you expect to see more of here -- posts by the 200 having problems or the 9,800 who have none? It is a case of "bad news travels faster than good" I think.When the HD came out the board was full of reports of how it was over heating and such so I went out and got one, joined the beta and put it to the test -- rock solid as far as I can see but it went from a hand full of units were over heating to "don't buy that model it will burn your house down"

Don't get me wrong if you got a defective unit by all means contact Roku,exchange it or what ever one feels they need to do but if the forum had 200 posts of users with TheEndless' experience would we be having this conversation? Would he be "the lucky one" or would he be the norm?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Voldemort

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:33 am

I think you are presuming a lot. What is the ratio of Roku refurbs to posters? 1000:1? Most people who have problems with inexpensive electronics, simply return the inexpensive electronics for a refund. If your '200' is accurate, can we assume there were 20,000 defective units. The fact is that no one outside of Roku management knows how many 'defective' units shipped or even how many Roku 4s were returned for any reason. We don't even know how many were purchased.

People on these forums have speculated that the defect was lack of a heat sink pad between the processor and the sink. If the Roku 4 relies on a pad for cooling, they will all fail in time. Heat sink compound is designed to account for microscopic irregularities in the surface of a processor not to bridge a gap between a heat sink and a processor.

knuckle wrote:
IDK about that ... do you see a lot of issues on this forum? yes but this is Roku forum,folks with problems come here for help ... lets assume that 10,000 units have sold and of those 200 had a problem ( which Roku is very proactive about taking care of) which would you expect to see more of here -- posts by the 200 having problems or the 9,800 who have none? It is a case of "bad news travels faster than good" I think.When the HD came out the board was full of reports of how it was over heating and such so I went out and got one, joined the beta and put it to the test -- rock solid as far as I can see but it went from a hand full of units were over heating to "don't buy that model it will burn your house down"

Don't get me wrong if you got a defective unit by all means contact Roku,exchange it or what ever one feels they need to do but if the forum had 200 posts of users with TheEndless' experience would we be having this conversation? Would he be "the lucky one" or would he be the norm?
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

knuckle

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:53 am

do we know how many R 4s have sold?

you ask
What is the ratio of Roku refurbs to posters?
is that even knowable? how many bought a refurb unit off Amazon not even knowing it was a refurb?How many posters come here having bought what they believe to be the latest and greatest roku model only to discover the bought a discontinued item? My use of 200 vs 10,000 does not represent actual numbers ( only Roku knows what those numbers are) I used them to demonstrate the way this forum works ... of the Roku owners who are pleased with the product how many visit here? My guess is a very low percentage as compared with those experiencing difficulties.Currently Amazon reviews rate the R4 at 3 and 1/2 stars and Amazon is set up to request reviews from all buyers ( both positive and negative) where here one is much more likely to see the negative because this is perceived as a "help" forum -- does this clarify my last post?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Voldemort

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 am

knuckle wrote:
do we know how many R 4s have sold?

No. That's my point. We have no idea about any of this. Roku is very secretive -- which is not uncommon. We do not know if the failures reported here are typical or an anomaly. We do not know if there was a manufacturing problem or a design flaw. It's pointless to do math with so many unknowns.

knuckle wrote:
you ask
What is the ratio of Roku refurbs to posters?
is that even knowable? how many bought a refurb unit off Amazon not even knowing it was a refurb?How many posters come here having bought what they believe to be the latest and greatest roku model only to discover the bought a discontinued item? My use of 200 vs 10,000 does not represent actual numbers ( only Roku knows what those numbers are) I used them to demonstrate the way this forum works ... of the Roku owners who are pleased with the product how many visit here? My guess is a very low percentage as compared with those experiencing difficulties.Currently Amazon reviews rate the R4 at 3 and 1/2 stars and Amazon is set up to request reviews from all buyers ( both positive and negative) where here one is much more likely to see the negative because this is perceived as a "help" forum -- does this clarify my last post?

Your post is fine. It's just speculative. This is an enthusiast forum which is not known to most Roku owners. You cannot really extrapolate from posts here.

I think the Amazon posts are negative despite the overall lukewarm 3.5. To be fair, 295 total reviews on Amazon is not a lot. 24% of the reviews are one star and most of those mention loudness or fan noise. Ditto on the 11% of two star reviews. I would not speculate that 35% of Rokus are loud or defective.

I don't think the reviews matter much anyway. People who bother to post an uncompensated review are extremely happy or extremely unhappy.

I also do not think that the heat issues are the only factor in determining whether the R4 is 'just a BAD product'. I would have to rate the goodness or badness of the Roku 4 on the following...

- price
- features
- durability
- performance

Fan/heat issues come under durability. I would not get a streamer with a fan unless the fan enabled additional features, improved performance, or ensured durability.

Relative price is not a selling point for the R4. Only Apple charges more. The Roku 3 and 4k Fire TV are about half the price of the R4. Even with problems reported here, it's too early to know anything about durability. From Roku's chart, the Roku 4 distinguishes itself from the Roku 3 with...

- 4k support
- 802.11ac MIMO wireless
- faster processor
- optical out
- remote finder

I would like to hear from those who are using 4k via the Roku. Is it because they can stream stuff which their 4k television cannot stream? If so, what? Is it because the quality is better? If so, how?

I would like to hear from those who are using the r4 wirelessly. Has AC solved problems encountered with previous models?

I would like to hear how the faster processor has improved usage (other than 4k).

I think optical out is for people with obsolete equipment. A lot of the Apple enthusiasts have been using this $30 device to solve the problem.

I'd like to dismiss the remote finder as a gimmick, but I spend a lot of time looking for mine ;-)

Let's stipulate that passive cooling is better than active and talk about whether the R4 is a worthwhile upgrade otherwise.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

thomasfxlt

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:39 am

I will add that I'm on my 3rd Roku 4 and it appears to have a resolved fan issue. My fan is typically running at 25% and is quieter than other equipment in my rack at that speed. Why or how the unit is running cooler or the fan quieter, I don't know.

mike_ekim

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 am

Today I would buy a Roku 4.

If my mom wanted one I would recommend a Roku 3.

Z06Gal

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 pm

TheEndless wrote:
LDBetaGuy wrote:

This has been my experience as well. I have 2 Roku 4's and the only way I can hear the fan is to put my ear right up against it. So far I am thrilled with them