Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DallasGG

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 am

For those that are having their Roku 2 XS freeze up at the main menu, try disabling the screen saver. Ever since I did that, the freeze-ups at the main menu on my 2 Roku's have diminished greatly.

If you try this and it helps, let us know. I'm still wondering if this really helps or is just a coincidence.

Edit on 12/5/15: I think I spoke too soon. Even though I disabled the screen saver, one of my Roku 2 XS's froze up again last night...same problem...very frustrating!
Last edited by DallasGG on Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrjlturner

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:56 am

DallasGG wrote:
I updated 2 of my Roku 2 XS's to the 7.0 firmware. Both of them have experienced the same problem multiple times. The problem occurs when I haven't used my Roku 2 XS for awhile (several hours up to a day). When I try to use it after not using it for awhile, I hit the remote control one time to move over to one of my channels (which it does successfully) and then the remote control immediately freezes up and is non-responsive. The only solution to get my Roku back working again is to unplug it and plug it back in and let it reboot. This problem only started happening after I updated to the 7.0 firmware. The fact that it's happening on both of my Roku 2 XS's indicates to me that it's a software issue. This problem never happened before the firmware update. Please fix the software!

This is now a recognized issue by support. They do have some "dumps" from several units that the devs are now analyzing. This info was provided to me from one of the forum mods. They haven't been able to reproduce it themselves as of yet, though. I have the same issue on all 3 of my 3100XS units.

If it happens again, try this: Force Manual Crash: [HOME] 5x [UP] [REW] 2x [FF] 2x

Wait for the crash (about 15-25 seconds after the keypresses). If the box does crash and reboot, contact support with your device serial number & reference the crash. This will help the DEVS to track down this issue by providing yet another box w/ the issue.

Thanks!
-mrjlturner
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

davidchance

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:57 am

DallasGG wrote:
I updated 2 of my Roku 2 XS's to the 7.0 firmware. Both of them have experienced the same problem multiple times. The problem occurs when I haven't used my Roku 2 XS for awhile (several hours up to a day). When I try to use it after not using it for awhile, I hit the remote control one time to move over to one of my channels (which it does successfully) and then the remote control immediately freezes up and is non-responsive. The only solution to get my Roku back working again is to unplug it and plug it back in and let it reboot. This problem only started happening after I updated to the 7.0 firmware. The fact that it's happening on both of my Roku 2 XS's indicates to me that it's a software issue. This problem never happened before the firmware update. Please fix the software!

Count me in as having this issue as well. The first time I thought is was the remote itself since its an aftermarket eBay one, but the second and third times it happened I also noticed the button clicks being registered by the LED blinking.

NightOWLinLA

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:31 am

I'm having problems with the Roku (2 XS - sw: v7.0 build 9037) no longer connecting to my wifi.

Anyone else having wifi issues?

FireStick

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:17 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
We don't do rollbacks. Can you please PM me your Roku serial number (Settings > System > About) along with the full firmware version and build number? I'll also need the Make and Model number of your television.

Have you contacted CS, and if so, what's your case number?

C. Shawn Smith

PS: the HDCP not approved message is your television's warning message, not Roku. Try a different HDMI cable to see if that changes the behavior.

If you don't perform comprehensive testing, then perhaps you should consider coming up with a back-out plan. At the very least you should allow users to turn off automatic updates. That would let us decide whether or not we want to help you test. I have witnessed the freezing issue on a Roku XS daily since the last update.

mrjlturner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:28 pm

MODs,

My PROD 2XS locked up today. I just did a DUMP sequence on the unit, and it reset as expected. Here's the serial # so that you guys can gather the DUMP info from it.

Serial# 13C246010730

The unit is wired to a Cisco 3650 10/100 switch. The unit is connected to Samsung LED TV at 1080p via HDMI. The theme on the unit is 'Graphene'. The screensaver is the 'Digital Clock'.

Should I bother contacting support for this, since this issue seems to be wrapped around the 7.0.9037 release (at least on the 2XS units.)?

Thanks,
-mrjlturner
My ROKU Info:

Voldemort

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:35 pm

I wish they would roll back the update, relegate the R2XS to legacy status, and focus on the newer models.
FireStick wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:
We don't do rollbacks. Can you please PM me your Roku serial number (Settings > System > About) along with the full firmware version and build number? I'll also need the Make and Model number of your television.

Have you contacted CS, and if so, what's your case number?

C. Shawn Smith

PS: the HDCP not approved message is your television's warning message, not Roku. Try a different HDMI cable to see if that changes the behavior.

If you don't perform comprehensive testing, then perhaps you should consider coming up with a back-out plan. At the very least you should allow users to turn off automatic updates. That would let us decide whether or not we want to help you test. I have witnessed the freezing issue on a Roku XS daily since the last update.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

mrjlturner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:41 pm

I know it is a pain, but they will find the issue and work it out. They had issues when the went from v4 to v5 and it took them a while to get it right. While frustrating, I'm confident that they'll find the issue. They have done a pretty good job of keeping the older hardware relevant w/ software updates through the years. How many other companies will provide software upgrades to their hardware for more than 2 years?
My ROKU Info:

Voldemort

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 pm

mrjlturner wrote:
I know it is a pain, but they will find the issue and work it out. They had issues when the went from v4 to v5 and it took them a while to get it right. While frustrating, I'm confident that they'll find the issue. They have done a pretty good job of keeping the older hardware relevant w/ software updates through the years. How many other companies will provide software upgrades to their hardware for more than 2 years?

I think my Roku 2 XS fleet has 'had problems' more of the time I have owned them than they have not had problems. I do not think any recent update has enhanced 'relevance'. Why not roll the update back and invite some of those who have reported problems to work with the engineers before rolling it out broadly?

mrjlturner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:30 pm

They do that with the BETA program. Unfortunately, this bug somehow made it past the BETA program and reared its head just as they were ready to roll this to PUBLIC.
My ROKU Info:

Voldemort

Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Beta programs are only as good at the beta testers and the test program. Given the relentless onslaught of issues after each update, Roku's programs are seriously lacking.

Voldemort

Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Voldemort wrote:
Beta programs are only as good at the beta testers and the test program. Given the relentless onslaught of issues after each update, Roku's programs are seriously lacking.

I would be a very good beta tester and am available.

RockYou

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Well, at least I'm not the only one having the same annoying problems with this update (remote "not working"--though the led on the base unit recognizes when a remote button is pressed, menu elements no longer scroll smoothly, channels terminating unexpectedly). It's like they added functions/features/code for the latest/greatest Roku that just don't work on the (slightly) older products.

Roku 2 XS and streaming stick (HDMI)

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Voldemort wrote:
Voldemort wrote:

I can tell you firsthand Roku doesn't listen to their beta testers any more than they do to posts in this public forum. I'm not the only beta tester that got tired of reporting problems only to have the reports fall on deaf ears.

-JT

beq

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:10 am

renojim wrote:
Voldemort wrote:
Voldemort wrote:

I can tell you firsthand Roku doesn't listen to their beta testers any more than they do to posts in this public forum. I'm not the only beta tester that got tired of reporting problems only to have the reports fall on deaf ears.

That's unfortunate :(