Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 14
 
tman
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 am

Just chipping in on this. Two Roku 2 XS's, both recently 'upgraded' to v7 automatically, now experiencing random remote freezes. Have to reboot (pull the power) to get them back online. Both are running at 720P, but I haven't seen any freezes during app use or playback (mainly Netflix, Plex use), just the remote stops responding (but commands are being registered according to the light on the unit).

Come on Roku. This seems to be a very widespread problem. Get it fixed.
 
DallasGG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:27 am

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:40 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Those of you experiencing this issue: Go into settings and under audio, set the menu volume to "off." QA is interested in knowing if this stops the freezing you're experiencing.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith


I have two Roku 2 XS's. Both of them were freezing almost daily. I turned off the audio as described above. I also turned off the screen saver. Neither of my Rokus have frozen since I did this...in almost a week of daily usage. I'm a bit skeptical that these simple changes made a difference with the freezing issue but I'd be curious to know if anyone else was able to get rid of their freezes by trying this.
 
JohnS-MI
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:29 am

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:52 am

My Roku 2 XS has had the same freezes as others report here. Starting from screensaver, then "home" I get home page but it is either already frozen or freezes as I hit an arrow button to navigate. I got the impression from one of the threads on this topic, that processor may be doing something and isn't ready for the navigation arrow button pushes (I normally would hit an arrow key VERY quickly after hitting home, less than a second). Today, I waited a few seconds, 5 or 10??, before navigating. First time in a couple of weeks that it DIDN'T hangup. It may have been the luck of the draw or the hesitation vs navigating too fast may have something to do with it.

Also checked settings as advised. I only had the "official" three screen savers and use default. My menu audio was set to low and I set it to off (AFTER the above observation). I plan to leave the menu audio off and give the home screen a few seconds to stabilize before navigating. Hopefully one of those will end the freezes. A few seconds before navigating is a LOT faster than rebooting.
 
mrjlturner
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Agreed John. There seems to be something in that "wait" period before doing any navigation, most of the time. I did just have a total BSOD when attempting to start a 'The Tonight Show' episode on my 2XS that had been sitting for about 9 hours. Not sure what just happened there...but I think it is part of this 7.0 instability. I know that the DEVs are aware that there are issues in this firmware, and they are looking at the code diligently to figure out what has caused these instabilities. Hopefully there will be another code push within the month to address these issues :)
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
 
mc510
Topic Author
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:39 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Those of you experiencing this issue: Go into settings and under audio, set the menu volume to "off." QA is interested in knowing if this stops the freezing you're experiencing.

You can tell QA that turning off menu audio does NOT resolve the issue; still occurring in the same way.
 
kdtresh
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:29 am

after disabling menu audio, i have not had any freezes in the past few days, albeit with lighter than normal use. i left the clock screensaver active, for what it's worth. i'm reporting this success second-hand, since i haven't really used it much, so it's possible they've just been waiting every time they wake the unit up to see if it freezes before navigation, which may be avoiding the issue, as others have mentioned.
 
richddean
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Those of you experiencing this issue: Go into settings and under audio, set the menu volume to "off." QA is interested in knowing if this stops the freezing you're experiencing.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith


I have the Roku 2 XS and have been having the issue where the Roku remote becomes unresponsive after the latest OS upgrade. I did what Shawn suggested and turned off the menu volume (I left the default roku clock screen saver on). This fixed my issue for the last 4-5 days. For the heck of it I tried turning the volume back on, because I like the sound feedback when navigating on the Roku. Ironically it locked up again when I selected the volume level of "low" from the "off" position. I rebooted and turned it back off. Hopefully this helps the developers in fixing this issue.
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks guys and gals. Forwarding this information back over to QA.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
BAC
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 am

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:23 pm

I have always had the audio off and have used the default screen saver. (We’ve had 5 Rokus for several years.)
Our units have been freezing since the software upgrade. It is very irritating. We either wind up unplugging the unit, or we reset the unit every 30 minutes preemptively.
 
Dogmeat
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:51 pm

I also am having freezing problems with my XD since the upgrade. My box freezes when navigating the Roku homepage, specifically moving from the list on the left, to the subscribed service logos on the right. The video focus selects the first logo it reaches on the right, and then freezes. Sometimes I get the advertisement on the extreme far right, sometimes the screen does not move fully left to expose that advertising. The box continues to blink it's led when it receives a command from the remote.
 
-psiu-
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:13 am
Location: SE MI

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:48 am

After the 9044 update, I turned menu sounds back on just to see what would happen. Had another freeze requiring power cycle this morning ~11:30.

This time it was in Netflix - wife left it on a show page, woke it up, hit back to the main Netflix menu, then...freeze o' doom. (Have had it happen on the home screen, in Amazon, in PBS, all since the initial 7.0 update, all the same way.)

Also, network still refuses to come up automatically for me, and I have had it just lose connection while idle as well.
Roku 2 XS
 
eavega2020
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 am

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:24 am

Just got the 9044 update installed on my XS (3100X). Last night the system became totally unusable. It kept trying to scroll the menus and randomly select a video. After a reboot it stabilized long enough to launch a video, but within a minute started with the random remote commands to ffd and reverse the video being played. Tried rebooting again, pulled the remote batteries, but still the random commands to scroll up and down, eventually selecting the same video over and over even after hard reboots, which would tell me that the navigation commands must be on some kind of loop. I was not even able to control the system with the app remote.

This was with the navigation sounds off, but the screensaver still on.

I've now turned the screensaver off, navigation sounds are still off, remote is still off (batteries removed), and I am controlling the unit with the app remote for now. For the last 10 min the unit has behaved as expected. I'll update if this changes.

-E
 
theJanice
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm

I just joined these forums to say My Roku 2 xs started freezing randomly as well, same as everyone else. Mostly while unattended but also after a show ends on netflix and I go to use the remote to start another show. This started upon the 7.0 upgrade. Prior to 7.0 the box was rock solid. :(

I just set menu volume to zero. I'll report back if it affects freezing issues. thanks.
 
eavega2020
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 am

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:51 am

eavega2020 wrote:
Just got the 9044 update installed on my XS (3100X). Last night the system became totally unusable. It kept trying to scroll the menus and randomly select a video. After a reboot it stabilized long enough to launch a video, but within a minute started with the random remote commands to ffd and reverse the video being played. Tried rebooting again, pulled the remote batteries, but still the random commands to scroll up and down, eventually selecting the same video over and over even after hard reboots, which would tell me that the navigation commands must be on some kind of loop. I was not even able to control the system with the app remote.

This was with the navigation sounds off, but the screensaver still on.

I've now turned the screensaver off, navigation sounds are still off, remote is still off (batteries removed), and I am controlling the unit with the app remote for now. For the last 10 min the unit has behaved as expected. I'll update if this changes.

-E


After the upgrade and turning menu sounds and screen saver off, still experiencing remote control freezing at the end of a video. Actually remote freezes during playback. I tried to pause the video during playback and remote was unresponsive. Using the app remote works fine.

Eric
 
wingrider
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 am

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:20 am

eavega2020 wrote:
eavega2020 wrote:
Just got the 9044 update installed on my XS (3100X). Last night the system became totally unusable. It kept trying to scroll the menus and randomly select a video. After a reboot it stabilized long enough to launch a video, but within a minute started with the random remote commands to ffd and reverse the video being played. Tried rebooting again, pulled the remote batteries, but still the random commands to scroll up and down, eventually selecting the same video over and over even after hard reboots, which would tell me that the navigation commands must be on some kind of loop. I was not even able to control the system with the app remote.

This was with the navigation sounds off, but the screensaver still on.

I've now turned the screensaver off, navigation sounds are still off, remote is still off (batteries removed), and I am controlling the unit with the app remote for now. For the last 10 min the unit has behaved as expected. I'll update if this changes.

-E


After the upgrade and turning menu sounds and screen saver off, still experiencing remote control freezing at the end of a video. Actually remote freezes during playback. I tried to pause the video during playback and remote was unresponsive. Using the app remote works fine.

Eric




Oh boy I get to join the update club the same thing is happening with my 2XS did the turn off menu audio and use the stock screen saver tip and still NF freeze's and the unit will not respond for a long time to the remotes buttons. Thanks Roku
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 14

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dkhawkee and 15 guests