Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Placeman

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:35 am

I have four Roku 2 XD's and all four of them have been having these sporadic lockups since receiving the new firmware.

berktown

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:40 am

I'm another Roku owner who is experiencing this menu freezing issue on my Roku 2 XS. It started after the upgrade. I can only fix it by unplugging the power cord. Also, I noticed the built in input name that shows on my input menu on my Sharp tv changed from Roku 2 to "Videocore."

FX4

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:48 am

I don't know if it will help you guys or not but the Roku in my wife's craft room is a 2XS and she was complaining about the same issues. I went in and updated to the latest version then turned off all the extra stuff, MGO, News screens, screen savers, etc and while very slow it seems to be working ok now. The 7.0 firmware seems to be really too much for these 2XSs IMO. Man it dogs them out.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

davidchance

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:53 am

I am / was having this issue when I first got the Ver 7 update. I must admit in the 4 days since the 9044 release I've yet to have it freeze. Fingers crossed but looking good for me.

Now I was only having it freeze occasionally before so I was having mild problems compared to others who have posted, but it shows Roku is working on fixing things even for our older players.

mc510
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:00 pm

davidchance wrote:
Now I was only having it freeze occasionally before so I was having mild problems compared to others who have posted, but it shows Roku is working on fixing things even for our older players.

Definitely good news if Roku's tinkering is fixing the problems that firmware 7.0 created. But I adamantly object to crediting Roku for anything like heroic efforts to keep "our older players" working. Our older players were working just fine with firmware version 6, until Roku broke them with version 7.

davidchance

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:03 pm

mc510 wrote:
davidchance wrote:

Definitely good news if Roku's tinkering is fixing the problems that firmware 7.0 created. But I adamantly object to crediting Roku for anything like heroic efforts to keep "our older players" working. Our older players were working just fine with firmware version 6, until Roku broke them with version 7.

I gotta admit I see both sides of the coin here. While it's true that our players were working fine with Ver 6, the truth is with anything digital nowadays if your not keeping current your inevitably falling behind. By keeping our players current with the FW it allows us to be up to date on channels, which makes it much easier for content providers to make our viewing experience top rate.

Oh and I was a bit premature, my player had it's first lockup since I got 9044 yesterday. Looks like more tinkering is needed.

jeffreyabr

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:37 pm

mrjlturner wrote:
From the MODs, give this a try to further their troubleshooting / info gathering efforts:

"When this happens, hopefully the remote is still active. Assuming it is, can you force a crash and reboot? To do this, press the following remote control button sequence:

Force Manual Crash: [HOME] 5x [UP] [REW] 2x [FF] 2x

The crash will occur about 10-15 seconds after you key in the buttons presses and you'll see the Roku logo screen boot up. If the unit crashes, either with the button sequence or on its own, we get a crash log uploaded to our system. If you can force the crash, please note the time of the day you triggered it so we can find the event in the logs."

Once done, then post to the forum w/ your serial# of the affected unit so that the MODs can pull the debug DUMP info from the unit and provide the data to the DEVs for analysis.

I enjoy the new Netflix F is For Family, but it's better when there's a picture on screen. This happened tonight when I got home tonight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URQ27EIw_Cc)

I just forced a restart and got my Roku back up. I checked for an update and it went from 9037 to 9044. If a Dev wants to check my debug dump, my serial number is 13A17N039235

Hoping build 9044 is a bit smoother from here on out.

jrku2user

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 pm

I just upgraded to 9044 from 9037...I hope it works a bit better. It locked up again today with 9037 so I figure it can't be any worse?

wingrider

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 pm

My 2XS is working normal again at least for now hopefully it remains so

mc510
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:51 pm

davidchance wrote:
While it's true that our players were working fine with Ver 6, the truth is with anything digital nowadays if your not keeping current your inevitably falling behind. By keeping our players current with the FW it allows us to be up to date on channels, which makes it much easier for content providers to make our viewing experience top rate.
This is certainly true, but given a choice between a Roku that is becoming slowly obsolete, and one that has been broken by a poorly designed software update, I would take the former!

eavega2020

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:47 pm

eavega2020 wrote:
Just got the 9044 update installed on my XS (3100X). Last night the system became totally unusable. It kept trying to scroll the menus and randomly select a video. After a reboot it stabilized long enough to launch a video, but within a minute started with the random remote commands to ffd and reverse the video being played. Tried rebooting again, pulled the remote batteries, but still the random commands to scroll up and down, eventually selecting the same video over and over even after hard reboots, which would tell me that the navigation commands must be on some kind of loop. I was not even able to control the system with the app remote.

This was with the navigation sounds off, but the screensaver still on.

I've now turned the screensaver off, navigation sounds are still off, remote is still off (batteries removed), and I am controlling the unit with the app remote for now. For the last 10 min the unit has behaved as expected. I'll update if this changes.

-E

With one additional step, I can report no freezes since I last posted. The last additional step was to re-pair my remote control. After doing that along with the update and turning off screen saver and navigation sounds, I have not had a freeze up in three days.

E

Patobranco

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:51 am

My roku XD (3050X) has started to freeze too. It started in the last few weeks. A power recycle is required to get it working again. It works fine until I access it next time, usually next day or a few days later. It happens more often if device left on the Netflix screen. I assume device is on sleep mode until awaken by the HDMI connection activation.

Voldemort

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 am

Patobranco wrote:
My roku XD (3050X) has started to freeze too. It started in the last few weeks. A power recycle is required to get it working again. It works fine until I access it next time, usually next day or a few days later. It happens more often if device left on the Netflix screen. I assume device is on sleep mode until awaken by the HDMI connection activation.

It would be interesting to know if your Roku was updated about the time the freezes began and what release of the firmware you now have.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Dogmeat

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:48 pm

My second posting regarding this matter. My XD (3050X) is now hanging in the middle of streaming content (Netflix). Unit LED flickers in response to remote control, but will not exit hangup.

Roku - Why can't you reload the previous software version (prior to 9037) into our units, until you get this straightened out? This lack of response from ROKU is unacceptable.

jeffreyabr

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:15 pm

jeffreyabr wrote:
mrjlturner wrote:
From the MODs, give this a try to further their troubleshooting / info gathering efforts:

"When this happens, hopefully the remote is still active. Assuming it is, can you force a crash and reboot? To do this, press the following remote control button sequence:

Force Manual Crash: [HOME] 5x [UP] [REW] 2x [FF] 2x

The crash will occur about 10-15 seconds after you key in the buttons presses and you'll see the Roku logo screen boot up. If the unit crashes, either with the button sequence or on its own, we get a crash log uploaded to our system. If you can force the crash, please note the time of the day you triggered it so we can find the event in the logs."

Once done, then post to the forum w/ your serial# of the affected unit so that the MODs can pull the debug DUMP info from the unit and provide the data to the DEVs for analysis.

I enjoy the new Netflix F is For Family, but it's better when there's a picture on screen. This happened tonight when I got home tonight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URQ27EIw_Cc)

I just forced a restart and got my Roku back up. I checked for an update and it went from 9037 to 9044. If a Dev wants to check my debug dump, my serial number is 13A17N039235

Hoping build 9044 is a bit smoother from here on out.

Got another crash tonight as I took the Roku out of the screensaver. I was on the main menu this time, not in any app. I'm on 9044 now and experiencing similar behavior to 9037.

Just forced a crash so a log gets sent. If a Dev wants to check my debug dump, my serial number is 13A17N039235