Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Patobranco

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 pm

I found a solution for my rokus freezes ... Ditch roku and stream via chromecast. It works very well, only issue: no 5.1 Dolby though. :D

wingrider

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:01 pm

My 2XS crashed last night and is stuck on the bouncing Roku tried unplugging it and a hard reset no go. Its been sluggish for the last week or so don't know if it's the update that killed it or if it gave up the ghost but I'm bummed.

MYU

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:35 am

wingrider wrote:
My 2XS crashed last night and is stuck on the bouncing Roku tried unplugging it and a hard reset no go. Its been sluggish for the last week or so don't know if it's the update that killed it or if it gave up the ghost but I'm bummed.

Try leaving it unplugged for an hour, also if you have a memory card at the back take it out. When I put one in, it don't work.

wingrider

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:20 pm

MYU wrote:
wingrider wrote:

Try leaving it unplugged for an hour, also if you have a memory card at the back take it out. When I put one in, it don't work.

Thank you it was the memory card causing the problem tried it several times with and without the card with the card no go without it booted thanks again.

jackman

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:59 pm

I'm using a workaround for the lock ups. I put a timer on the Roku to automatically power cycle it at 5AM everyday. It's been more than a month now without a lockup during viewing.

MYU

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:48 am

wingrider wrote:
MYU wrote:
wingrider wrote:

Thank you it was the memory card causing the problem tried it several times with and without the card with the card no go without it booted thanks again.

Glad I could be of help.

dfgsrzwer

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:00 am

jackman wrote:
I'm using a workaround for the lock ups. I put a timer on the Roku to automatically power cycle it at 5AM everyday. It's been more than a month now without a lockup during viewing.

That can be done manually as well of course. I've always said that turning it off each day is not unreasonable.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

CanMan14

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:07 am

Glad I found this thread.... my Roku 2 XS has also been freezing frequently over the last few weeks. To the point that the kids are complaining and want rid of it!

Come on Roku.... let's have a fix for this - it worked fine before this!

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:38 am

CanMan14 wrote:
Glad I found this thread.... my Roku 2 XS has also been freezing frequently over the last few weeks. To the point that the kids are complaining and want rid of it!

Come on Roku.... let's have a fix for this - it worked fine before this!

Have you done the workarounds that were suggested until Roku releases a fix?

Verify you are running v7.0 b9044
Turn off menu sounds

If you have not tried that, go back and read the whole thread. There are other suggestions that may work, but this one was suggested by Roku.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

CanMan14

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Yes that's my version but no I haven't turned off the menu sounds. Will do that though my kids like them.

Point here being that I shouldn't need to do that. It worked fine before with it configured the way my kids liked it. I shouldn't have to research through 159 previous posts - Roku introduced bugs and Roku should be fixing them.

Dogmeat

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:35 pm

CanMan14 wrote:
Yes that's my version but no I haven't turned off the menu sounds. Will do that though my kids like them.

Point here being that I shouldn't need to do that. It worked fine before with it configured the way my kids liked it. I shouldn't have to research through 159 previous posts - Roku introduced bugs and Roku should be fixing them.

I fully agree. This has gone on far too long. At minimum, Roku should provide a link so that we can downgrade back to the previous version. That way the boxes/services which require the new version can stay there, but we can get running again. It won't be long before I take Patobranco's suggestion & change devices, ie. Chromecast.

I'm tired of a specific few on the forum saying "be patient", or that the new version needs to be fully tested. Roku - What about supporting the existing customers who've already purchased your device???

User181

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
CanMan14 wrote:

I fully agree. This has gone on far too long. At minimum, Roku should provide a link so that we can downgrade back to the previous version. That way the boxes/services which require the new version can stay there, but we can get running again. It won't be long before I take Patobranco's suggestion & change devices, ie. Chromecast.

I'm tired of a specific few on the forum saying "be patient", or that the new version needs to be fully tested. Roku - What about supporting the existing customers who've already purchased your device???

I agree as well. This has been going on since late November 2015 -- THREE MONTHS! I think many of us understand that any endeavor with software will have bugs, some more catastrophic than others, and sometimes it is very difficult to troubleshoot them.

However, Roku is not doing themselves any PR favors in their handling of this incident. I feel completely in the dark as to when/if this problem will be resolved, even though some on this forum have claimed a fix is forthcoming. It sure would be nice to have formal, periodic communication from the Company to give us updates on the status of the efforts to fix this, whether it be a page on their website, or an email list we could sign up to, rather than just a forum where the most we get is venting from others who are just as frustrated, speculation, and suggestions for hokey workarounds that make no difference.

I would be FAR MORE sympathetic and at-ease if the Company simply did a better job at keeping us in the loop.

We have Roku players on every TV in the house, and I've done a lot of cheerleading for, and gift-giving of the product over the years. I've made it clear to everyone I talk to that my opinion is that Roku is the best set-top media player device currently on the market, but I'm beginning to feel disappointed by the Company's PR and goodwill.

CanMan14

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:46 pm

And I am sympathetic to a company that doesn't want to support very old versions of their product. But in that case why not just leave it "as-is" - "no new fixes, no new enhancements". So they could have left the Roku2 XS on the old version indefinitely. That would be better than pushing out and forcing us to take a deprovement that reduces stability.

dfgsrzwer

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:04 pm

dogmeat wrote:
At minimum, Roku should provide a link so that we can downgrade back to the previous version. That way the boxes/services which require the new version can stay there, but we can get running again.

I'm quoting you, but this is just as much directed to the post above this (canman14; I can't multiquote easily on a tablet):

They can't rollback now. That will break apps that updated their software to work with the new firmware. Should they have updated Gen2 devices to begin with? It doesn't matter; what's done is done and they can't go back again. I'd rather have a small amount of inconvenience than it not work at all. And unplugging an electronic device (and ALL electronic devices need to be unplugged once in awhile) IS a small inconvenience. Turning off menu sounds is so slight is doesn't even deserve the title of inconvenience.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Dogmeat

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:28 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
dogmeat wrote:
At minimum, Roku should provide a link so that we can downgrade back to the previous version. That way the boxes/services which require the new version can stay there, but we can get running again.

I'm quoting you, but this is just as much directed to the post above this (canman14; I can't multiquote easily on a tablet):

They can't rollback now. That will break apps that updated their software to work with the new firmware. Should they have updated Gen2 devices to begin with? It doesn't matter; what's done is done and they can't go back again. I'd rather have a small amount of inconvenience than it not work at all. And unplugging an electronic device (and ALL electronic devices need to be unplugged once in awhile) IS a small inconvenience. Turning off menu sounds is so slight is doesn't even deserve the title of inconvenience.

You're obviously missing the point. I didn't say roll everybody back. I said provide a link so that those of us that need to roll back, can. Let those that need the new version stay on it. And User181 is 100% correct in that communication from Roku has been POOR TERRIBLE. I also would be more sympathetic if they only kept us in the loop about the future fix & its timing.