Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gliese876

Re: 7.0 firmware broke my Roku 2 XS

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:11 am

CW app same thing, 3/4 way through last night after a pause and slight rewind in a program.

Why are Roku devs ignoring this thread after all this time?

People filled their homes with these boxes and they obviously broke them with a firmware update. The silence in this thread from Roku makes me believe this was intentional.

B-rad

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 am

I'm currently having restart problems with my 2XS as well. Mostly on Comedy Central, CW and AMC. It usually occurs when transitioning to or out of a commercial, although it does happen on occasion with Amazon and Netflix. While trying to watch Better Cal Saul on AMC today the 2SX has restarted over 15 times, pretty ridiculous. 

I've had problems like this off and on since I bought it in February of 2013. I've never gotten a resolution directly from Roku and I've tried every suggested trick I could find on Reddit and this forum. The restarting issues typically would occur following a software update and then go away with another. It happens rarely with Amazon or Netflix, I assume because they don't have commercials. I've tried wired and wireless connections, bypassing the router, different cable modems, different sound settings, with and without an SD card, with a minimum of apps loaded, insured it's in a cool location, done factory resets, reloaded my apps from scratch, and many more things I can't recall off hand. To be fair in the past firmware upgrades have typically provided relief when a previous update created these issues, but I've never been notified of these releases as fixes to my problems and since the last update was in November 2016 it's unlikely they're working on a solution this time. There have been enough people calling out this particular model for these problems that it doesn't appear to be a unique hardware failure causing my problems. 

My Roku 2 and 3500 Streaming stick have not had the same problems. In fact I would say the Roku 2 is the most stable Roku I've got. I have 3 Apple TV's which have had their issues too but only rarely and the issues were acknowledged and resolved in a timely manner (not that that is always Apple's MO these days.) I'm tempted to upgrade, but not thrilled at the prospect of supporting a company that doesn't support it's products or acknowledge known problems.I think I'm going to try a Fire product this time, just to see if it's just me and my expectations are too high. 

Now it appears Roku doesn't support this product as there appears to be no way to interact with the Roku support team if I indicate I have a 2XS. I thought manufactures had to provide product support for 5 years from date of manufacture, but I guess they aren't being held to that. 

I'm open to ideas, but I'm getting tired of dedicating so much wasted time and effort trying to resolve this. given the number of people having the same issue I feel this is a product design issue and Roku has decided ignoring it is their best course of action. Not for me, but for them.

B-rad

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 am

twiceover wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:
twiceover wrote:
Sorry your 6 year old device is having problems?

Not sure what you are looking for here.  Competing company's boxes aren't even half that age yet.

Wow, where were you 15 months ago when this thread started? Had you stated then "Sorry, your FIVE year old device is having problems", that would have solved everything, and A YEAR SOONER.
Obviously, the point is not that the device is having problems. It IS about Roku's piss-poor support, forcing upgrades that crash equipment, inability to re-install the original working firmware (while the buggy version is fleshed out), but MOST IMPORTANTLY, how they strung us along (read the thread) about "fixes are coming".
But thanks for chiming in with your useless burp.

Both my 2xs units work fine.  I use them daily.  Sorry yours is having a problem.  Not sure what else you want.  Girl Scouts are selling cookies, that might help.

I think what he wants is a solution. Roku has dropped support for this product (even though many units are less than 4 years old, mine included.) The problems being described have been going on for the last couple of years, at least. The problem doesn't appear to affect every 2XS made, as you pointed out, but certainly appears to affect many of them. Further investigation seems warranted. This ingoing issue certainly reduces my product loyalty.

Just a couple of corrections: The 2XS was announced in July 2011, so it couldn't possibly be 6 years old. Also, the Apple TV was introduced January, 2007 so at least one competing company's product is older than Roku's oldest product. Chromecast and FireTV are considerably older than half the age of the 2SX. No idea what competitor you're referring to. 
p.s. The snarky comments weren't called for, but thanks for the shout out for the Girl Scouts!

twiceover

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 am

The original Apple TV you reference is no longer for sale, nor was it a very good product.  Basically nobody made apps for it because apple was being dicks.

The chromecast was announced in 2013 and the Amazon Fire TV stick after that.  So, I'm OK with my guestimates there.

I'm also under no illusion that my very much aging 2xs units might just bite the bullet at any time.  Nobody should think these things are just going to work forever.

mrjlturner

Tue May 02, 2017 5:08 am

1998gs wrote:
please rollback our firmware.

What firmware version are you on?  I know that there is still active development happening beyond 7.5.0.
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

vnazario

Tue May 02, 2017 8:04 am

mrjlturner wrote:
1998gs wrote:

What firmware version are you on?  I know that there is still active development happening beyond 7.5.0.

Hello:
   Yeah, still active development in the fact that the 2 XS will receive the newest firmware version but I am convinced Roku development teams are not bothering to work on solving bugs for the 2 XS model.  I got the latest update the other day and no improvements on the sudden reboot/stability issues that have been reported now for over 2 years.
   It seems that this latest firmware is Roku TV-centric and maybe address some fixes for their current lineup.  But they clearly don't give a crap for those of us running their 2nd gen boxes.  To be honest, I don't even think they are even bothering with the Roku 3 at this point.  But clearly, they seem to think that by ignoring us and giving us the silent treatment we will just give up and buy a newer product from them.  But even their new models are buggy/faulty so what real incentive do we have in wanting to buy newer products from them with their poor QA and CS practices?
  Frankly, I like Roku the best because of its ease of use, the "TV experience" and available content is a bit better than the competition but at least my Android based devices don't crash and suddenly reboot on me interrupting my TV/Movie enjoyment.  I want to endorse Roku (and I did at one point) but their product quality, support, beta testing, QA testing, etc. definitely need improvement.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

mrjlturner

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:55 pm

vnazario wrote:
mrjlturner wrote:
1998gs wrote:

Hello:
   Yeah, still active development in the fact that the 2 XS will receive the newest firmware version but I am convinced Roku development teams are not bothering to work on solving bugs for the 2 XS model.  I got the latest update the other day and no improvements on the sudden reboot/stability issues that have been reported now for over 2 years.
   It seems that this latest firmware is Roku TV-centric and maybe address some fixes for their current lineup.  But they clearly don't give a crap for those of us running their 2nd gen boxes.  To be honest, I don't even think they are even bothering with the Roku 3 at this point.  But clearly, they seem to think that by ignoring us and giving us the silent treatment we will just give up and buy a newer product from them.  But even their new models are buggy/faulty so what real incentive do we have in wanting to buy newer products from them with their poor QA and CS practices?
  Frankly, I like Roku the best because of its ease of use, the "TV experience" and available content is a bit better than the competition but at least my Android based devices don't crash and suddenly reboot on me interrupting my TV/Movie enjoyment.  I want to endorse Roku (and I did at one point) but their product quality, support, beta testing, QA testing, etc. definitely need improvement.

I have finally retired my 2XS units.  They served me well. Honestly, for what I paid for them, I probably got 10x life out of them. I have upgraded to Premier+ units, and am absolutely amazed at the speed difference all around.  The software updates that come w/ the newer models are quite welcome too! I recently took up Best Buy on their deal for the P+ units for $49 each! Couldn't beat that with a stick :)
My ROKU Info:
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

Dogmeat

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 am

I got sick of this & bought a Fire Stick, June of 2017. I WILL NEVER OWN, OR RECOMMEND, A ROKU DEVICE.

I'm extremely disappointed in Roku's support. Forced upgrades that crash equipment, the inability to re-install a previous working version, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how they strung us along about "fixes are coming".

I would have replaced it a long time ago if I knew they weren't at all sincere about their support.

twiceover

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 am

Dogmeat wrote:
I got sick of this & bought a Fire Stick, June of 2017. I WILL NEVER OWN, OR RECOMMEND, A ROKU DEVICE.

I'm extremely disappointed in Roku's support. Forced upgrades that crash equipment, the inability to re-install a previous working version, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how they strung us along about "fixes are coming".

I would have replaced it a long time ago if I knew they weren't at all sincere about their support.

I did the same, except with a Roku Stick.

Matt9876

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

I have read every post in this thread and agree with most of what has been said about the firmware upgrades, even the latest 8.0.1 firmware has negatively affected a hand full of channels on my newer Roku units.

But something wonderful just happened after getting the 8.0.1 firmware on my Roku premier plus ,my cheap 4K TV now works in 4K mode and it is far better than I ever expected, the words game changer come to mind !

If you have the means I suggest an upgrade from your (XS) or older Roku to a whole new world of streaming TV. If not I fully understand.
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV