Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
vnazario
Topic Author
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 am

Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello:

Would you pay $4.99 a month for a graphical web browser for Roku? Does it play web video? Flash support? Granted, this is better than the free text based browser released that is useless IMO, but is it worth a monthly subscription of $4.99 per month? What do you guys think?

I would pay a one-time fee and maybe put up with some ads, but for me, $4.99 a month is a bit too much. I don't think this browser allows for flash web video so it is not ready for that kind of use. I have GoogleTV and Android TV streamers with flash-enabled Chrome browsers so a working browser for Roku that can play content from websites would be great but this is not ready for a monthly subscription IMHO.
Last edited by vnazario on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
 
Markp
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 am

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:57 pm

If it was truly unlimited, yes. Otherwise no.
 
User avatar
overtimeman
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Clemson South Carolina

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Oh Yeah!
I used to have a life before Roku!
 
beq
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:08 pm

You mean this:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/56529/web

https://www.webbrowser.us/

Has anyone tried it? Is it a local browser, or does it just fetch content from that company's gateway server?

The site has a list of the currently supported websites, and the v1.0 release notes (no Flash, hyperlinks, media, deep pages).
 
dfgsrzwer
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:46 pm

I'm not going to pay $5 to try it out, since using a tablet is easier anyway, but from the screenshots it doesn't look like it is worth it.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:33 am

If you really want a Web Browser on the TV look at the $85 Chromebit by Asus.
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:04 am

No. I haven't found the need for a browser on my TV.
 
User avatar
vnazario
Topic Author
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 am

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:15 am

twiceover wrote:
No. I haven't found the need for a browser on my TV.


Hello:

I disagree. Having a "half-baked" browser not worth the sticker price. However, a fully functioning browser can be a good thing. For example:

Although considered an "obsolete" and unsupported streaming device, I still use A LOT my old Logitech Revue with Google TV to watch video content from flash supported websites. It is great to find websites that stream video and be able to add bookmarks/favorites to the launcher so you have an "instant google TV app" instead of having to wait for a developer to create an official app.

So...Roku having a full-blown web browser would be a good thing but this "half-baked" browser for $4.99 PER MONTH is not worth it.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 am

vnazario wrote:
twiceover wrote:
No. I haven't found the need for a browser on my TV.


Hello:

I disagree. Having a "half-baked" browser not worth the sticker price. However, a fully functioning browser can be a good thing. For example:

Although considered an "obsolete" and unsupported streaming device, I still use A LOT my old Logitech Revue with Google TV to watch video content from flash supported websites. It is great to find websites that stream video and be able to add bookmarks/favorites to the launcher so you have an "instant google TV app" instead of having to wait for a developer to create an official app.

So...Roku having a full-blown web browser would be a good thing but this "half-baked" browser for $4.99 PER MONTH is not worth it.


I was answering the question at hand.

Would you pay $4.99 a month for a graphical web browser for Roku?


You posed a question, I answered it with my personal opinion which is what was asked for. Instead of "I disagree" you should have said "I understand, thank you for your opinion".

And since we are completely going on a tangent, I don't think the Roku is capable of doing anything you mention no matter how good the app developer is. There would have to be some device on the other end doing the translation and sending the final product to the Roku, basically what Plex does.
 
User avatar
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4689
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Florida,USA

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:23 am

Having worked for some time to bring the Opera browser to Roku all I can say is I hope they had/have more success than I did
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
 
User avatar
vnazario
Topic Author
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 am

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 am

twiceover wrote:
vnazario wrote:
twiceover wrote:
No. I haven't found the need for a browser on my TV.


Hello:

I disagree. Having a "half-baked" browser not worth the sticker price. However, a fully functioning browser can be a good thing. For example:

Although considered an "obsolete" and unsupported streaming device, I still use A LOT my old Logitech Revue with Google TV to watch video content from flash supported websites. It is great to find websites that stream video and be able to add bookmarks/favorites to the launcher so you have an "instant google TV app" instead of having to wait for a developer to create an official app.

So...Roku having a full-blown web browser would be a good thing but this "half-baked" browser for $4.99 PER MONTH is not worth it.


I was answering the question at hand.

Would you pay $4.99 a month for a graphical web browser for Roku?


You posed a question, I answered it with my personal opinion which is what was asked for. Instead of "I disagree" you should have said "I understand, thank you for your opinion".

And since we are completely going on a tangent, I don't think the Roku is capable of doing anything you mention no matter how good the app developer is. There would have to be some device on the other end doing the translation and sending the final product to the Roku, basically what Plex does.


Hello twiceover:

Sorry I hurt your feelings by disagreeing with your point on the importance or usefulness of having a full-blown working browser on Roku. Maybe pickup a GoogleTV or Android streamer with a flash-supporting browser and you'll appreciate more what I said. No different than having a PC connected to your TV and using the browser to watch content from websites.

Mind you, I disagreed with you on the one point, not your whole statement so don't need to take things so personally.

My point is that this browser does not work fully and will not play reliably, if at all, video content from websites so the $4.99 PER MONTH fee is a bit over the top. I'm not even sure it can handle hyperlinks and java so not even useful to check your e-mails or other non-video stuff.

Again...Sorry!!! :?
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
 
socantra
Posts: 1443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:23 am

also find very little use for a TV web browser and even if I did, I would definitely Not pay five bucks a month for it. Everyone else is perfectly free to do as they wish. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:45 am

vnazario wrote:
twiceover wrote:
vnazario wrote:
twiceover wrote:
No. I haven't found the need for a browser on my TV.


Hello:

I disagree. Having a "half-baked" browser not worth the sticker price. However, a fully functioning browser can be a good thing. For example:

Although considered an "obsolete" and unsupported streaming device, I still use A LOT my old Logitech Revue with Google TV to watch video content from flash supported websites. It is great to find websites that stream video and be able to add bookmarks/favorites to the launcher so you have an "instant google TV app" instead of having to wait for a developer to create an official app.

So...Roku having a full-blown web browser would be a good thing but this "half-baked" browser for $4.99 PER MONTH is not worth it.


I was answering the question at hand.

Would you pay $4.99 a month for a graphical web browser for Roku?


You posed a question, I answered it with my personal opinion which is what was asked for. Instead of "I disagree" you should have said "I understand, thank you for your opinion".

And since we are completely going on a tangent, I don't think the Roku is capable of doing anything you mention no matter how good the app developer is. There would have to be some device on the other end doing the translation and sending the final product to the Roku, basically what Plex does.


Hello twiceover:

Sorry I hurt your feelings by disagreeing with your point on the importance or usefulness of having a full-blown working browser on Roku. Maybe pickup a GoogleTV or Android streamer with a flash-supporting browser and you'll appreciate more what I said. No different than having a PC connected to your TV and using the browser to watch content from websites.

Mind you, I disagreed with you on the one point, not your whole statement so don't need to take things so personally.

My point is that this browser does not work fully and will not play reliably, if at all, video content from websites so the $4.99 PER MONTH fee is a bit over the top. I'm not even sure it can handle hyperlinks and java so not even useful to check your e-mails or other non-video stuff.

Again...Sorry!!! :?


Oh I'm not "hurt" in any way. I'm just trying to point out that you can't ask for an opinion and then disagree with them.
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:39 am

twiceover wrote:
I don't think the Roku is capable of doing anything you mention no matter how good the app developer is. There would have to be some device on the other end doing the translation and sending the final product to the Roku, basically what Plex does.


^ This. People have been asking for, and trying to make a web browser since May 2008, when the first Roku was released.
If a workable freestanding browser was possible it would have happened a long time ago, and it would
still be limited by the files Roku is able to decode.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
trothatl
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:28 pm

beq wrote:
You mean this:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/56529/web

https://www.webbrowser.us/

Has anyone tried it? Is it a local browser, or does it just fetch content from that company's gateway server?

The site has a list of the currently supported websites, and the v1.0 release notes (no Flash, hyperlinks, media, deep pages).


I tried it. It's a stretch to call it a web browser - it just gives you a screenshot of a single page from each of several websites. You can scroll down the page, but there's only one page per website. You can see the latest headlines from the news sites, read some comics, look at some photos, and see the US weather maps, but as I said you can't go beyond the single page for each site. I'm assuming that in the background a screenshot of each page is grabbed and cached at regular intervals. I tried out several sites and the contents matched the current live website in a regular browser, so at least it's not showing out-of-date screenshots.

I don't know who this would appeal to at $5/month.

More info: http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/web

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests