Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Ace

Re: Web for Roku: Worth $4.99 a month????

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:36 pm

I use the Proprism Web Browser on my Roku. It's free and it works fine.

Ace

gkl

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Ace wrote:

Ace

I don't find much use for a web browser on my TV anymore. But when I do, I still have my media server PC connected to the TV and just switch over to it. And it actually works great, not like some cobbled together Roku channel trying to do something a Roku isn't designed to do. At $5/month, you could pay for a perfectly good low-end computer in a couple of years that would do a LOT better job.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Does it actually deliver websites to the box or does it stream a video of a browser like Onlive use to do? That would justify its five bucks a month price.

Or I guess it sounds like it's turning web pages into images of the website for the box to render?

I'd still say to consider looking at a Chromebit for this purpose.... ;)

vnazario
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Ace wrote:

Ace

Hello Ace:

Do you really use the Poprism browser on Roku? (Respectfully) To do what? This is a text-only based browser that doesn't handle images nor hyperlinks. If you use it for something useful, please tell us. As of now, that browser is useless unless some have come up with a way to use it.

Web can handle images, but not flash, hyper-links, java, videos, etc. so although a lot better, still not good enough for a $4.99 per month subscription. In its current state I would maybe pay a one-time fee and maybe deal with some ads but it is not worth a monthly subscription IMO. Maybe a donation link on the channel or developer's website if he needs funds for further development but not yet ready for prime time to require a monthly sub.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:17 pm

This all sounds quite Poopy. :|

Way better things to spend $5 a Month on too. However if it satisfies your needs and makes you happy, whatever.

Guess I'm too use to using a Phone or Desktop for web content....

The Roku seems too archaic for web browsing.... Eh just better cheapo devices that do it better.

The Chromebit is a $85 HDMI dongle that has the Chrome OS built in. Just add a wireless Keyboard & Touchpad. Boom WebTV that matches the desktop experience way better than TVs or Consoles do. :mrgreen:

dfgsrzwer

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Crow550 wrote:
The Roku seems too archaic for web browsing.... Eh just better cheapo devices that do it better.

It's a curiosity, something to look at and say "gee whiz", and forget about later. Not something to spend money on or even use for free. I'd bet there are a lot of channels on the Roku like that...
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

mike_ekim

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:02 am

I have a PC hooked up to my TV for web based content, with a wifi keyboard/trackpad. It's a bit tedious to use at times but it's worth it. If I didn't have a PC I would consider casting, but I wouldn't be interested in a browser on the Roku even if it were free. Unfortunately more cable channels are requiring authentication before you can stream from their site i.e. we can't watch new episodes on MTV.com anymore because my cheap cable package doesn't have MTV. So we buy them on Amazon. (still cheaper than upgrading cable)

Web browsing with a roku-style remote seems like a fail. Years ago I used the web browser on the Wii a couple of times. It was also a fail. Sooooooo many links to navigate past if using the D pad (most analogous to how a roku would navigate). Scrolling up and down on a page was a PITA. The Wii was lousy at rendering HTML, but even if it worked well I would not have bothered browsing on the Wii because the interface sucked.

So, no I wouldn't pay for a browser on the Roku. I wouldn't bother installing a free browser on my Roku unless there were a compelling reason to do so. And there isn't.

dfgsrzwer wrote:
It's a curiosity, something to look at and say "gee whiz", and forget about later. Not something to spend money on or even use for free. I'd bet there are a lot of channels on the Roku like that...

Agreed 100%