Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Exrace
Topic Author

Roku 4 and Toslink to RCA Converters

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:54 am

The Roku 4 has a toslink output and for legacy setups many use a digital to analog converter to connector to legacy amplifiers.
I have read some audio/video converters can introduce audio lag which makes the video and audio out of sync.
My old Yamaha receiver has no provision to add delay.

Can anyone suggest a good toslink to RCA converter that works properly with the Roku 4?
I don't want to throw away money on a converter that unsyncs the audio and video.

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 4 and Toslink to RCA Converters

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Exrace wrote:
I have read some audio/video converters can introduce audio lag which makes the video and audio out of sync.

That sounds very, very unlikely. Where did you read that?
I know certain fancy equipment (say Sonos networked speakers) introduced delays that have to be dealt with but that's outside the scope of what you asked.

I believe DAC on SPDIF is a very fast conversion. Some numbers from here http://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/Latenc ... F_DACs.pdf ("UE5" is separate software of that company so ignore that part) - decoding 5.1 SPDIF had 145ms latency and stereo was ~0ms. And here is on audio delay re gaming http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/74975

Exrace
Topic Author

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks for the details.

PerrenApte

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:38 am

Can you please share all of your hardware details here?
Also what are the specifications of the Roku?
I also want to know the specifications and the applications of the RCA converters.

pcb quote
Last edited by PerrenApte on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BradC

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:12 pm

I ordered a 6 dollar converter a week ago from china that seems to be the same model monoprice is selling for around 20. I went for the free shipping, so it should be here sometime this century.

got it since the roku tv in my bedroom doesn't have any other audio out option and the old surround receiver in here doesn't support toslink.

I hope it works, we like watching movies in bed but it's not the same without good sound. I don't want to dump this tv yet, and watching movies on roku is so easy compared to using an HTPC. I'll let you know how it goes if I remember to come back here whenever it arrives.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

EnTerr

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:03 pm

BradC wrote:
I ordered a 6 dollar converter [...] since the roku tv in my bedroom doesn't have any other audio out option and the old surround receiver in here doesn't support toslink.

RokuTV has an audio-out jack right next to the TOShibaLINK. Seems to me a plain jack-to-RCA cable would do the same job

BradC

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:23 pm

EnTerr wrote:
BradC wrote:
I ordered a 6 dollar converter [...] since the roku tv in my bedroom doesn't have any other audio out option and the old surround receiver in here doesn't support toslink.

RokuTV has an audio-out jack right next to the TOShibaLINK. Seems to me a plain jack-to-RCA cable would do the same job

First thing I tried when I got it.

It shuts off audio output completely except through the "headphones" if anything is plugged in. Not acceptable to me to have no audio unless the receiver is running.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

EnTerr

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:39 pm

BradC wrote:
EnTerr wrote:

First thing I tried when I got it. It shuts off audio output completely except through the "headphones" if anything is plugged in. Not acceptable to me to have no audio unless the receiver is running.

Hm, that's a weird situation you'll be putting yourself into. I was going to suggest trying to "hack" the jack so the mechanical switch contact does not engage - but then i remembered there is an issue with both TV and amp speakers working at the same time - there is likely to be reverberation, because of the delay going into the amp. The issue is perceivable for me when i have ON both TV speakers and optical-connected-soundbar. Your experience may vary but i found the result of sounding-like-in-a-cave annoying and have to change the volumes so one overpowers by far the other

T_J

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:31 pm

I bought a ‘Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA L/R Audio Adapter Converter’ on eBay in 2013 ($16.63 total). It’s between my Sony HDTV toslink out and an older Pioneer component stereo. I just checked audio with Judge Judy show and I didn’t hear any delay, I listened to TV speakers, stereo speakers, and both at same time. I plugged the converter electrical plug into the back of my stereo, so that the converter is only powered when I plug in the stereo. Usually only use stereo for Netflix movies or Pandora or 3D Blu-ray player. Several of the converters on eBay all look the same with no brand name, mine doesn't have a brand name on it. I'd stay away from Amazon or eBay items shipped from China, still waiting (over a month) on some headphone ear pad covers from Amazon/China seller. May have to contact Amazon about this China seller.

I previously used the TV headphone out jack and a splitter cable to connect to my Pioneer stereo; but had to switch to the TV Toslink out because I connected a HTPC to my Sony TV, and the PC video plug and headphone plug were to close together (both plugs would not fit at same time). With the Toslink can listen with TV speakers or stereo speakers, and sometimes I've used both at same time.
This way can use Pioneer Stereo with HTPC, OTA, Blu-ray, or Roku 2 (2015).

BradC

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:03 pm

I got my toslink converter today.

There was a little delay, but I switched to a shorter cable so the sound had less distance to travel, and after that it was ok.

just kidding, there's no delay problem. I can run with the receiver and the TV audio both on without any issues. Usually I'll turn off the tv audio and run just the receiver when playing a movie. So far seems to work just fine but I haven't messed with it too much yet.

EnTerr

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:02 pm

BradC wrote:
There was a little delay, but I switched to a shorter cable so the sound had less distance to travel, and after that it was ok.

Image you got me with this one. i Image at first but luckily read the next line before reaching Image