Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JohnnyRolando
Topic Author

Roku Streaming stick 3500x: HDCP Unauthorized Content

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:27 am

Hello, I have the Roku streaming stick 3500x plugged into a Sharp Aquos LC-37D64u Flat screen TV with 2 HDMI ports. It has the frimware 7.0 (9021). It has been working fine for a year, but since Nov 28, I have been getting the purple screen HDCP unauthorized... message. I hear the sound but only see the purple screen. Support don't reply to my numerous emails I suppose because the stick is a low end product maybe? Maybe I have to pay for support, I know it's like that at other places. Anyways, My TV is not smart, so it couldn't have updated anything on it's end, and I have tried every reboot and unplug / replug etc combo I can think of. I am assuming an update to the Roku made this happen but I don't know.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I would really like to have some confirmed issue identified before I go out and buy whatever it is I have to get to replace the Roku, or maybe the TV. I'm hoping that by posting this, someone else with the problem may be able to offer any suggestions for me to try.

PS: I am aware of this being a "handshake" issue and have search the web and this forum at length and tried at least a dozen or more of the suggestions out there... flower this purple screen!

Johnny

RockYou

Re: Roku Streaming stick 3500x: HDCP Unauthorized Content

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:35 pm

I saw this for the first time [ever] today--on my 2XS (with Netflix). Frankly, it looks like yet another symptom of the broken 7.x update (the "gift" that keeps giving... problems). I rebooted and it went away.

I used to like Roku (before this latest update).

thetick

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:50 pm

It's a handshake issue.

Just cycle through other HDMI inputs until see a picture with the other inputs then back to Roku. This will force a new handshake between your Roku and TV. For example switch to a Blue Ray Player , cable box or Chromecast... any device that is using a different HDMI port as the Roku Streaming stick. The absolute worst case turn your TV off wait about 10 seconds then back on. If you still have issue then there is not much you can do other then get a new Roku stick or a new TV.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

JohnnyRolando
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Well I've tried the cycling through different ports and turning off the TV and all of that stuff... No luck. Before buying something to replace the Roku stick, I am hoping a new firmware upgrade will resolve the issue or that support will actually respond. Thanks for your reply. Still looking for help / ideas.

Chicagoburbs

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:00 am

We have been getting the unauthorized screen since we started using our Roku 3.
The only thing that seems to work (other than calling support to clear it) is to unplug the Roku and let to sit for approx. 30 min.
To prevent it from happening going forward, we keep the box unplugged after each use. If we forget to unplug it, most times we get the unauthorized screen with the next use.
As long as the box was unplugged, we have not gotten the error. This works for the box and is an easy solution,but with the stick, that would not be as easy.