Problem: Blank Screen after boot animation.
I did a Factory Reset (thru the menu) on my Roku 2 XS, and ended up with a device that displayed the dancing ROKU boot animation then went to blank screen.
I spent a couple hours reading forums and trying all sorts of possibilities. Verified cables, swapped power supplies, swapped monitor/TV, taped the reset button, held reset button 30 seconds, held reset button while unplugging power... Nothing worked.
Then as a last ditch effort, I tried a technique I've used to revive semi-bricked routers... and IT FIXED IT.
I didn't see this suggestion on any forums or help pages, so I offer it to you here.
(I started with a Roku 2xs powered up, ethernet cable plugged in, HDMI to a computer monitor)
1. UNPLUG HDMI, ETHERNET, AV OUT LEAVING ONLY POWER PLUGGED IN
2. DEPRESS RESET BUTTON (KEEP IT PRESSED DOWN)|WAIT 30 SECONDS
3. UNPLUG POWER|WAIT 30 SECONDS
4. PLUG POWER BACK IN|WAIT 30 SECONDS
5. RELEASE RESET BUTTON AND UNPLUG POWER
6. Cross your fingers... REATTACH HDMI & POWER
This just about takes 3 hands to keep the reset button pressed for over a minute and a half while unplugging and plugging back the power. Get help.
This would not work with the HDMI plugged in.
I had to re-pair the remote.
I wish you good luck and happy Roku-ing!