Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

VUDU videos will not play at all

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Even when I set them to SD, the lowers quality, it just loads and loads forever without playing. A 3 minute preview video failed to load after 15 minutes! Vudu itself takes forever to load. From the time I click the icon on the Home screen to the time the spinning ball stops is usually over 5 full minutes.

The closest I got to actually watching a video on VUDU was the error message "Unable to stream this movie at the moment due to a network error. Please try again a little later."

There is no network error! If I don't have an internet connection then how am I posting this message now? I wonder if VUDU is what's been making my Roku box crash nearly every day this past month? In several years it only ever crashed about 4 times until recently now it's nearly every day!!!

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: VUDU videos will not play at all

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:33 pm

While I don't use VUDU often, I'm trying it out now. It's playing just fine. No lag in launching either the app or a movie, whether SD or HDX.

Try removing the app, rebooting the Roku, reinstalling the app. Yes, you'll have to reconnect the app to your VUDU account to fully use it, but, if memory serves, you can preview some content prior to connecting it. That would let you know if the removal-reboot-reinstall works.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

bvd1022

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Fake Ghost Pirate wrote:
Even when I set them to SD, the lowers quality, it just loads and loads forever without playing. A 3 minute preview video failed to load after 15 minutes! Vudu itself takes forever to load. From the time I click the icon on the Home screen to the time the spinning ball stops is usually over 5 full minutes.

The closest I got to actually watching a video on VUDU was the error message "Unable to stream this movie at the moment due to a network error. Please try again a little later."

There is no network error! If I don't have an internet connection then how am I posting this message now? I wonder if VUDU is what's been making my Roku box crash nearly every day this past month? In several years it only ever crashed about 4 times until recently now it's nearly every day!!!

I have a reasonably deep digital collection totaling close to 460 films currently, the vast majority of my digital collection comes from Vudu. I use Vudu regularly and I rarely have any issue with playback. Often the few times I have had an issue it was tied to a connection problem with my internet provider. I had an issue with a couple of films playing back a few weeks ago that would buffer in the middle of the movie and then add the film into my continue watching tab even though I finished the film to completion. I recently upgraded my internet connection and modem from what was described to me from my internet provider as “Obsolete equipment” and it solved the slight issue I was having with Vudu a few weeks ago.

Although as I told my internet provider I believe they should tell customers when they change equipment that what a customer might be using is outdated, I have been impressed with the new connection. It miraculously also solved the longstanding issue I have had with playback and auto play errors on Roku’s YouTube channel meaning I don’t have to switch devices as often now to access some services without issue.

As for the issue you’re experiencing with Vudu, I suggest doing an un-install re-install of the channel/app and if that doesn’t clear up the problem, contact Vudu directly. They have great customer service so I’m sure you will get a response quickly from them. Best of luck to you.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Note: if you do try the uninstall-reinstall, be sure to reboot the Roku between the removal of the app and the reinstallation of the app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

bvd1022

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Basil wrote:
Note: if you do try the uninstall-reinstall, be sure to reboot the Roku between the removal of the app and the reinstallation of the app.

Thank you for saying that, it was one thing I forgot to put in my post. I appreciate it because I actually said to myself I should have said to reboot your Roku after I replied. Thanks again.

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 am

I may not re-install it for a few days. My Roku box has been crashing every single day since I installed Vudu. In the several years I've had the Roku box it only ever crashed about 4 times before the past month- now it crashes once per day!

bvd1022

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Fake Ghost Pirate wrote:
I may not re-install it for a few days. My Roku box has been crashing every single day since I installed Vudu. In the several years I've had the Roku box it only ever crashed about 4 times before the past month- now it crashes once per day!

The only time Roku has been crashing for me recently is when I play more than two games on the new chess app/channel. I’ve been using it in an effort to teach myself how to play, isn’t really working out well, but I have noticed that the channel crashes periodically when used for more than a few games at a time.

david0406

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:14 am

I was having buffering issues with VUDU when watching their 2 minute previews in HDX. I couldn't understand why this was happening. I'm using an R3 connected with an ethernet cable using a FiOS ISP 75/75 connection. Decided to try the uninstall the channel, reboot the box and re-install the channel solution. It worked. Not sure why this issue occurred. I haven't used VUDU in a while. These electronic gadgets just get quirky sometimes I guess.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express

bvd1022

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 pm

david0406 wrote:
I was having buffering issues with VUDU when watching their 2 minute previews in HDX. I couldn't understand why this was happening. I'm using an R3 connected with an ethernet cable using a FiOS ISP 75/75 connection. Decided to try the uninstall the channel, reboot the box and re-install the channel solution. It worked. Not sure why this issue occurred. I haven't used VUDU in a while. These electronic gadgets just get quirky sometimes I guess.

I find over the top devices like Roku to be in some ways simpler to use as compared to other electronic devices. Much like anything else, the more you use it, the more familiar and easier it becomes to work. I have had similar issues with my Amazon Fire TV device with certain apps, usually an un-install/re-install of apps solves most problems. The recent upgrade to my internet connection and equipment has solved some issues I was having. Like I said before it miraculously solved the long standing problems I was having with Roku’s YouTube channel and has thus made it easier for me because I don’t have to switch devices as often to get channels/services that may have had problems running on Roku to run without issue on other devices.

I have been considering upgrading my connection speed again sometime during the new year, but I was told that the speed will automatically be upgraded by my internet provider once the new year starts. Rather than spending more money, I will wait and see what the auto-upgrade their going to do does. So far I am very impressed with the new equipment, but I think I will have to find a way to stay on top of whenever they (internet provider) change equipment as best as I can so I can know when whatever equipment I use is considered “Obsolete” by the provider. I won’t lie, for as much money as I pay for internet service to be told that I would have to pay for an upgrade just to get current equipment doesn’t sit well with me.

It’s a small price to pay though considering that the cable/satellite providers are increasing rates again for their TV services. One of the few things that keeps me from cutting the cord is as a Boxing writer a good majority of the cards I cover are cable/satellite centric. If there was a way that would change where I could get the access I get now and record material when necessary I would be all for it seeing as I spend a good portion of my time using my streaming devices. As far as digital stores like Vudu, I find that buying movies from the digital stores to be considerably more affordable than buying physical discs. The only drawback is not every studio is part of the ultraviolet digital storage program, hopefully that will change in the new year. Hopefully, Vudu will release a software update that will solve the glitches some are experiencing.