Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Elijah_Baley
Topic Author

Dish claims Charter is trying to sabotage Sling TV

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:09 am

Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

dfgsrzwer

Re: Dish claims Charter is trying to sabotage Sling TV

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:01 am

I've got no proof, but it would not surprise me. I have in the past suspected Charter was even throttling my speeds on certain servers.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

FX4

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:50 am

I know a lot of content that was supposed to make it to Sling TV has not. I always kind of wondered why. This article seems to make it pretty clear that cable providers are the impediment.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

dfgsrzwer

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:37 pm

FX4 wrote:
I know a lot of content that was supposed to make it to Sling TV has not. I always kind of wondered why. This article seems to make it pretty clear that cable providers are the impediment.

Part of the "problem", yes. But not the whole story. There are networks that said from the start they were against this (eg, Discovery). Whether this was an independent decision or they were coerced really doesn't matter in the end: money talks.
1080p and 720p TVs

FX4

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:13 pm

I think you are missing the point, some networks have signed contracts with Sling for OTT service and for some reason those networks do not come to the service. It seems pretty clear that some other contractual obligations are being leveraged to keep them off of Sling TV.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

dfgsrzwer

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:31 pm

My point was my last two words...basicly the same thing you said but more blunt.

As far as the supposed contracts that were "signed", I think that was Sling anticipating things to happen rather than anything written in stone. They announced things prematurely, and when they did not pan out they quietly* forgot about it and hoped everyone else would too.

*for the most part, excluding articles like the one above
1080p and 720p TVs

Voldemort

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Channel Master is having the same problems with their DVR+. It's tough to monetize stuff people don't want to pay for.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

beq

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:41 pm

From past industry consolidation plays, does it seem both Charter and Dish (headed by Ergen) are aggressive players? Not afraid to attempt takeovers of larger entities.

Anyways if Charter does acquire Time Warner Cable, would that give them more sway over the networks?

But should we be even more leery of a behemoth like Comcast who already owns a significant portion of the TV content (in NBCUniversal)? Many people still cry foul over the passing of that deal...

P.S. Not related, but is this true:
Charter responded with a statement of its own, saying that there is “no more friendly broadband provider” to streaming services. “Charter’s slowest speed is 60 Mbps, we have no data caps, no usage based billing, no contracts and no modem fees,” the company says.

No plans for data caps or metered access? No modem/emta rental fee? Best Internet deals are not hidden behind 1-2 year contracts?

Wow makes my Comcast (and TWC) broadband service look even worse!

Skolvikings

Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:42 am

That's what I have with Midcontinet. No contract. No bandwidth caps. Connection is 60 Mbps down unlimited. Plus they're one of the fastest ISPs on Netflix's speed rankings, consistently beating all the "big" ISPs.

Elijah_Baley
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:05 am

beq wrote:
P.S. Not related, but is this true:
Charter responded with a statement of its own, saying that there is “no more friendly broadband provider” to streaming services. “Charter’s slowest speed is 60 Mbps, we have no data caps, no usage based billing, no contracts and no modem fees,” the company says.

No plans for data caps or metered access? No modem/emta rental fee? Best Internet deals are not hidden behind 1-2 year contracts?

Wow makes my Comcast (and TWC) broadband service look even worse!

Yes, that is true. Charter is a good internet provider. Unfortunately in many areas there is no real competition (AT&T at a maximum speed of 6 Mbps does not really count) so Charter gets pricey. But the do work well and provide mostly solid service.

The lack of competition means that they do not really respect any threats to go to another provider.

But I guess $60.00/month for 60 Mbps with unlimited data is not too bad. It just irks me that in so many areas there is no competition and therefore no real way to keep prices under control.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

dfgsrzwer

Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:53 pm

As I said, no proof of throttling just suspicion (I often go well above 500GB a month on my Xbox alone). But other than that, they do provide good service (call them up and the problem is often taken care of almost immediately), and their fees are reasonable (though some packages do have "hidden" costs that new (or old) customers may not be aware of, such as their "$12" local only TV package that is $20 after surcharges) for the speed and no data caps*.

*though again, I still suspect if you go through a lot of data they throttle you...
1080p and 720p TVs

Steven467

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 am

I have dish and i am testing out sling tv at the moment via roku 4. I personally feel dish is sabotaging their own product to some extent. I can maintain a 15mb/s connection download, watch 4k netflix flawlessly but 720p espn struggles via sling? The connection bar remains stuck at 3/4 bars 3.7mb/s, never going higher. I feel dish purposely makes the quality at or below their dish service. I'm connecting the roku 4 via powerline to my router so the connection is no problem. It just seems to me blu ray or even 4k quality could easily be achieved through sling tv, dish just chooses not to in order to offer the service but not kill themselves. We need a sling tv like service that is unaffiliated.

dfgsrzwer

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:12 am

As I said in a different thread, resolution ≠ bit rate. Sling does HD at 3.7mbps (except ESPN and occasional on demand at 4.7) regardless of your download speed. All streamers do this (+/- 1 or 2 mbps). If you want 4K streaming of live TV, you're going to pay more than $20 a month. I don't think any of their channels even has 4K source content anyway (most have only 720p, and there are a few SD only channels on Sling as well). All they would be doing is upscaling, and your TV can do that on its own.

Also, if your download speed is only 15mbps, I'm skeptical as to your claim to "flawless" Netflix 4K. I have 60mbps, and their SHD isn't "flawless".
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1080p and 720p TVs

Steven467

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:31 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
As I said in a different thread, resolution ≠ bit rate. Sling does HD at 3.7mbps (except ESPN and occasional on demand at 4.7) regardless of your download speed. All streamers do this (+/- 1 or 2 mbps). If you want 4K streaming of live TV, you're going to pay more than $20 a month. I don't think any of their channels even has 4K source content anyway (most have only 720p, and there are a few SD only channels on Sling as well). All they would be doing is upscaling, and your TV can do that on its own.

Do you hoesntly believe a higher resolution does not require a greater bit rate? The point is, dish could offer a 1080p or higher stream, they just choose not to or conveniently don't have the servers capable of it. I understand why dish's satellite service is restricted to 720p, but in the age of gigabyte internet, telling me 720p other the Internet is the best they can do is BS.

150 meg ie 15mb/s

dfgsrzwer

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:35 am

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91812

Read this thread. It pertains to your post. Your post above in reply to me pretty much ignored most of what I said as well.
1080p and 720p TVs