Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Indiana Jones
Topic Author

Roku Audio

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:02 am

I want to hook up a Roku player to an older Epson projector, rather than using a tv. The projector does not have speakers or audio jacks. I currently use the projector with my DISH receiver and I use a Bluetooth stereo receiver for the tv sound from the DISH receiver.

Which Roku model would allow me to get audio when hooked up to the projector? Ideally, I would like to use the Bluetooth receiver, but I would also be okay with hooking up a Roku player to a soundbar if needed.

I own a Roku 2 (4210), but it doesn't seem to have an option for audio, other than the HDMI. I have to use that for video to the projector and the projector has no audio outlets.

Thanks.

dgrace

Re: Roku Audio

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:51 pm

I can't say that this is the exact same device you have, but mine is the 2XS. It has a proprietary cable (3.5mm plug on one end, video and audio RCA on the other). I use this to get analog audio out for my AVR. Maybe yours has this.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:09 pm

dgrace wrote:
I can't say that this is the exact same device you have, but mine is the 2XS. It has a proprietary cable (3.5mm plug on one end, video and audio RCA on the other). I use this to get analog audio out for my AVR. Maybe yours has this.

Roku2 doesn't have analog. You can possibly use Roku4 and run the optical to the stereo. Option 2 Roku1/SE has analog out, but the hardware does not allow for some advanced channel features, like Netflix's Profiles. Much slower, too. Option 3, a long HDMI cable between the Stereo and Projector (this IMO is your best bet for the long term, can plug in more devices this way to your projector easily).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

BradC

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:26 pm

I have a roku 4 in my theater, it hooks to my projector via hdmi, and to my sound system via toslink.

Seems to work fine.

I also have an old roku HD hooked to a monitor at my desk via HDMI converted to DVI, and the audio is fed through the RCA jacks on the back to the input on my PC. I was kind of surprised that worked, but it did. So at least for that model, you can use HDMI for video while using analog audio out.

Indiana Jones
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks for the responses.

The Roku 1 may be a possibility, but I hate to have to deal with the slow performance. Also, my projector only has one HDMI port, so I really can't use it for both Roku video and the audio hook-up to my receiver.

Any thoughts on going with the Roku Streaming Stick and connecting a soundbar to the audio jack that is built into the remote?

BradC

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:44 pm

can't you just get a soundbar or receiver with passthrough so you just hook it to the hdmi from the roku and send the hdmi out from the soundbar to the projector?
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

Indiana Jones
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks Brad C.

I really didn't want to invest in a new Roku player and a new soundbar or receiver. I already own each of those, but neither has the "pass through" feature. Sounds like an idea that would work though.

The Roku Streaming Stick has an earphone jack on the side of the remote. I am considering purchasing that model and using an external speaker/soundbar for audio, instead of headphones. Do you think that would work?

Basil

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:
...The Roku Streaming Stick has an earphone jack on the side of the remote. I am considering purchasing that model and using an external speaker/soundbar for audio, instead of headphones. Do you think that would work?

The Roku HDMI Streaming Stick remote is a WiFi remote, but it doesn't have a headphone jack. The Roku 3 and Roku 4 do. https://www.roku.com/products/compare
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Indiana Jones
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks for that info Basil.

Do you think that should work if I use the remote jack on the Roku 2 or 3 to connect to my sound bar or receiver?

Basil

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:
Thanks for that info Basil.

Do you think that should work if I use the remote jack on the Roku 2 or 3 to connect to my sound bar or receiver?

You could use the output of the headphones to drive other audio pieces, but keep in mind that as long as a plug is in the jack, the batteries on the remote are being used, regardless of whether or not anything is playing on the Roku. That means a lot of plugging and unplugging, which will wear heavy on the remote.

Will it work? Probably. Is it the best way to go? Maybe not.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

Indiana Jones
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Good point Basil.

I agree that it doesn't sound like the best approach, but it may be the only way to go without investing in a receiver/sound bar or Roku 4.

I appreciate your input. I just want to confirm that you think the Roku remote jack-to-speaker could be my sole source for audio. Again, my Roku would be hooked up to the HDMI on an Epson projector without any audio jacks.

T_J

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:10 am

I used a headphone jack splitter cable for a while from my Sony HDTV to an older Pioneer component stereo. I already had a 3-foot ‘Acoustic Research’ splitter cable (headphone to RCA plugs) which sounded great for the living room. I bought a cheaper splitter cable on eBay (less than $5), which sounded terrible.

I use the AR headphone splitter cable regularly between a Garmin Nuvi 780 (mp3s) and 1.5 din DEH-P77DH Pioneer stereo (no aux-in port) in my Tahoe, connect RCA plugs to Pioneer CD-RB20 Compact Disc Adaptor. Sounds great.

T_J

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:34 am

Would a 'new Roku 3 remote' supply sound thru the headphone jack for his Roku 2 ?? Cheaper than a new projector maybe, if you don't count the batteries.

Basil

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:49 am

T_J wrote:
Would a 'new Roku 3 remote' supply sound thru the headphone jack for his Roku 2 ?? Cheaper than a new projector maybe, if you don't count the batteries.

Though I haven't done it, others have stated that they have used a Roku 3 remote with a Roku 2 (model 4210).
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

dgrace

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:54 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
dgrace wrote:

Roku2 doesn't have analog. You can possibly use Roku4 and run the optical to the stereo. Option 2 Roku1/SE has analog out, but the hardware does not allow for some advanced channel features, like Netflix's Profiles. Much slower, too. Option 3, a long HDMI cable between the Stereo and Projector (this IMO is your best bet for the long term, can plug in more devices this way to your projector easily).

My avr will not send digital audio to second amp connected to outside speakers. I hooked it up as described and it works..
Just saying...
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ