Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bontster

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2016

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:45 am

+1 on avi support via DLNA. Using my WD EX4 for media storage, so I can't transcode via Plex (leaving a computer on 24x7 kinda ruins the whole thing). Thanks for such a great product!

bn1221

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:47 am

What you are asking in those two options is actually HDMI-CEC. To clarify the alphabet soup,
Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is an optional HDMI feature
Manufacturers tend to market CEC under different trade names, like Anynet+ (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony), VIERA Link (Panasonic)
MHL builds on top of HDMI, providing (better) power for external device and requiring CEC
So while all MHL devices can do CEC, not all CECs are MHLs. RokuTV in particular does (1/2-ass?) CEC but has no MHL ports. Can Roku 3/4 do CEC if they wanted to? Probably

No, I don't think so. MHL is actually a standard so MHL devices have to obey the remote commands and from what I read its passing USB commands over the power wires inside the HDMI connection. the CEC spec ONLY works with the same manufacturer on each end. My Samsung TV can control my Samsung Blue Ray. it cannot control my Roku 4. It works fine with the Roku MHL stick but the MHL stick is old and slow.

Roku 3 does not CEC at all. All the CEC on Roku 4 does its let me TV turn off when I power off the Roku (kinda useless to me).

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:04 pm

bn1221 wrote:
... the CEC spec ONLY works with the same manufacturer on each end. ...

Not true but whatever - this is not the thread to argue it. Start new thread and PM me about it (i am unsubscribing this one) if you want us to fine comb it. The main point of your request i think is clear and i +1 it:
What I really want is the ability to use my TV remote to control my Roku.

fraz123

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:32 am

Elwood42 wrote:
I would, as well, love to see DD+ to DD conversion out over the optical connector. Please don't make us all buy new receivers. Just think that will be money that could be used to buy ad f itional Roku products!

I agree - please resolve this. This is a deal breaker for many users with older (but still perfectly functional) recievers! The rest of the Roku 4 is great, just this one little achilles heel... I do not want to put it back in its fancy box. :cry:

Cheers,
F

Idl3fl0w

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 pm

**Remote Feature Request**

*Remote Button Lock"

Ever laying in bed with your remote nearby and reach over for something Only to hear the "droop" sound and the tv switch from your movie or show back to the home screen? I do it all the time. The WiFi direct remote is great concept except when you don't intend to push buttons on it. I would like a physical slide-switch on the side or mechanism that disabled the buttons and will help prevent the remote from transmitting unintended actions if used.

bigdog660

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:01 am

Here are the important feature requests I think all of us would like:

1. AAC - LC-AAC, HE-AAC and HE-AAC v2 in 2.0 stereo to 11.2 surround (DTS-X and Dolby Atmos) capable. I understand that AAC 5.1 has been added, but only in LC, or are there support for HE and HEv2 formats as well? Also, has 6.1 and 7.1 surround been added?

2. Opus - Full 2.0 stereo to 11.2 surround (DTS-X and Dolby Atmos) capable.

3. Pass through support for Dolby Pro-logic variants, Dolby Digital, DTS variants, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio.

4. Subtitle support with the subtitle file either muxed in the container or as its own file and can read the following types: SRT, IDX/SUB, and PGS

5. In the AVI and DIVX container, the most common A/V codec will be DivX/MP3, and DivX/AC3; however there are others such as H.264/AC3, H.264/AAC and DivX/DTS.

6. VC-1 and MPEG-2 video decoding.

7. Since we're going to hopefully add Opus decoding, we might as well add VP8 and VP9 decoding.

8. 24p playback.

9. We can play any combination of video, audio, containers, and subtitles through a jump drive or external hard drive, especially through the Plex channel. I have backed-up my movies on to a NAS, and over the years have used various codecs.

10. There some Opus radio stations out there, and several broadcast in HE-AAC, so those audio codecs are important. Opus sound quality is insanely good and can be streamed/played in an .opus container, or muxed in to MKV format (there are HVEC/Opus codecs in a MKV containers). The DivX codec and AVI container is for the many of us who have a library of back-ups and who does not want to re-encode his video and who does like transcoding on the fly (video quality is lost).

11. A remote with a keyboard on the back.

12. The ability to actually turn off/on the Roku via IR remote as well as the RF remote that comes with the Roku.

If anyone knows about whether the playing HEVC MKV can be done, or if any of my requests have already been acted upon; please let me know.

I hope you and your team will consider these requests.

Thank you,
Ron
1 x Roku Ultra, 3 x Roku 3

pcazzola

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:00 pm

I'd like to see an improvement in the channel authentication process.

The issue:
- If you have a cable/satellite subscription you can authenticate channels, but you have to authenticate each channel on each Roku individually. For me this is 1 to 2 dozen channels x 2 Rokus.
- Authentication takes a separate computer, or at least a mobile device (depending on how well the channel's website works with mobile devices)
- The authentication expire over time and you have to redo them
- One of my Rokus is in the bedroom and I often don't have a computer handy.

It seems like this could be streamlined to improve the user experience. Ideally I would only have to enter my account details once and credentials could be passed to each channel provider as needed. I should be able to supply multiple accounts for cable/Netflix/Amazon/etc.

Some ideas:
- Enter my cable/satellite provide account details into a Roku setting and let the device send the username/password. At most I might have to pick which account to use.
- Enter the account details on the Roku website under my account and let a Roku server pass the credentials. The website already knows which devices I own and have linked to my account.

The technical aspects of this change shouldn't be hard to implement. The harder part may be to get all the channel providers to support a direct method to pass credentials instead of just a website method.

bagelstream

Delayed playback option to force quality

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I've seen a lot of discussions about playback quality and experience varying quality myself. To help alleviate all of this, Roku and especially its Netflix app should offer an option to delay playback for something like 5 or 10 minutes with a preferred resolution/quality running up in the background. This would allow a larger buffer to fill and easily allow for stable HD experiences save for very large network issues. As it is currently, customers only have the choice of near instant starts at wildly varying resolutions, always on the cusp of quality drops during their programs because of slight network variables, peak time variables, etc. How about giving quality-conscious customers the OPTION to receive a preferred quality stream with a delayed start?

Cincydad

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Streams wrote:
I would really like a power button and volume buttons on the normal Roku remote that can control a television.

It could look the same as the remotes for the Roku TV's. Nice and simple.

AMEN!

Cincydad

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:05 pm

bigdog660 wrote:
Here are the important feature requests I think all of us would like:

11. A remote with a keyboard on the back.

I hope you and your team will consider these requests.

Thank you,
Ron

YES, YES, YES

faisal

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:52 am

I think some of the requests have been mentioned but here is my list of wants: ;)

* CEC support to use the remote from other devices in the HDMI Chain
* OTA (ATSC) Receiver (see https://www.tablotv.com/)
* DVR based on OTA (ATSC) and allow some IPTV live channels to hook into the DVR capability
* DLNA support for Media that may be located on a DLNA server on the network

Thanks!

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:56 pm

faisal wrote:
I think some of the requests have been mentioned but here is my list of wants: ;)
* DLNA support for Media that may be located on a DLNA server on the network
Thanks!

Roku Media Player has DLNA support, just FYI.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Haywood

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:30 pm

There are really only two feature requests I care about at all and they are both very important to me.

1. DD+ to DD conversion, so I can get surround over optical for all sources
2. HDR 10 support

carsokk

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:10 pm

I would like a roku "universal remote" that allows at least the control of my TV's volume. Yes, I realize I can get a third party universal remote. But, I don't want to lose the voice features of the roku remote. Plus, I like the small, simple style. So, really all I wan is a roku remote that can (1) turn my TV on and off, (2) control my tv's volume, and (3) control my roku. Turning my receiver on and off would be a nice plus, but not necessary. But, please don't try to do too much. If I want to use my DVD player, I'll just pull out the DVD player's remote.

Haywood

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:53 pm

carsokk wrote:
I would like a roku "universal remote" that allows at least the control of my TV's volume. Yes, I realize I can get a third party universal remote. But, I don't want to lose the voice features of the roku remote. Plus, I like the small, simple style. So, really all I wan is a roku remote that can (1) turn my TV on and off, (2) control my tv's volume, and (3) control my roku. Turning my receiver on and off would be a nice plus, but not necessary. But, please don't try to do too much. If I want to use my DVD player, I'll just pull out the DVD player's remote.

Have you seen this?

http://www.sideclickremotes.com/