Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SonOfJacob

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2016

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:08 pm

There are really only two items that should be your top priorities:

1) Being able to play MKV files over an ethernet cable through a wired network.
--> You can play them if connected via USB, but NOT ethernet (what year is this?)

2) Being able to decode and playback VC1 and MP1/MP2/MP4 encoded video
--> Apparently Roku with 3.1 firmware with play VC-1 video
------> Source: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/13935 ... -on-roku-3

I can't imagine not implementing these unless they are over licensing issues.

Even then, you could make an option for users to pay the licensing fees IF they want to access that feature (should be locked in some way until payment is made).

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 pm

In the player home screen, the menu item that links to the Channel Store is now confusingly mis-named as "Streaming Channels". Either rename it back to "Channel Store" or use a better, clearer name that conveys what's behind that menu. E.g. as simple as "More channels"

Reasoning:
EnTerr wrote:
... Renaming "Channel Store" to "Streaming Channels" was most unwise (if i mince my words). A single word "Store" well conveyed it is a place you find and get things you need. And the smartphones and other streamers already trained consumers about "stores" - "AppStore", "Play Store". So i personally feel "Channel Store" is still the best.

I can guess someone wanted customers to avoid thinking of having to "purchase" things, when most items are free-with-asterisk. However again, the choice of new name does more harm than good - now it's not even clear WTF that menu item is! And the redundancy. "Streaming" channels... to distinguish them from what, "Dry" channels (arroyos / dry creeks)?!

They absolutely wanted a non-"store" name? I am reluctant to suggest one, since under the N.I.H. directive that virtually guarantees it will never be used - but how about "More Channels"? It's not hard to come with a better name - because "Streaming Channels" is so mediocre.

lion7718

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:01 pm

It might not be really a feature, but I'd like to see a "Horror" section added under Streaming Channels/Genres...
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

EnTerr

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:11 pm

lion7718 wrote:
It might not be really a feature, but I'd like to see a "Horror" section added under Streaming Channels/Genres...

Not worth it as a separate category.
However! You can do that already, open https://channelstore.roku.com/search/horror
(alternatively type "horror" in the search box)

lion7718

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 pm

EnTerr wrote:
lion7718 wrote:

Not worth it as a separate category.
However! You can do that already, open https://channelstore.roku.com/search/horror
(alternatively type "horror" in the search box)

Really...so comedy, fitness, food, travel, lifestyle, sports & religious...are all so important to get their own, but horror isn't worth it..??
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

EnTerr

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:45 am

lion7718 wrote:
Really...so comedy, fitness, food, travel, lifestyle, sports & religious...are all so important to get their own, but horror isn't worth it..??

Interesting question but we shouldn't discuss it here, can we spin in separate thread?

I would think the ones you enumerated are connected with real life activities, i.e. "food" teaches you to cook (or where to eat), "travel" to decide where to go, "lifestyle"... how to live, "fitness" on better exercising and so on. Whereas "horror" does not teach you or give you ideas what to do, right? I mean it's just a sub-genre of "movies", unlike the others.

barneypoo69

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Has anyone ask for support of UHD with HDR ? If not, sure need HDR output with the Roku 4.
Roku 4, Time Warner Cable 200/20 & Asus RT-N66U
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer

urville

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Roku devices need to allow connection to local networks wired or wireless that do not have an active internet connection. Not having this functionality renders a multitude of the third party apps sold for Roku unusable that otherwise have the functionality to work on local networks without an internet connection, unusable. Embry, Subsonic, Plex, etc

In fact many of those same apps have specific offline functionality built in tot he apps specifically made for Roku. There is no valid reason to disallow this.

Valid uses: take roku to hotel/friends house/work/etc and connect to local tv, create local ad hoc or portable router network with no internet, between roku and laptop with plex server: entire home catalog is now portable anywhere on any tv. Storm knocks out fixed wireless internet, catalog still accessible. Etc

bjd223

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 am

Voldemort wrote:
1. Opt out of updates
2. Inactivity timer shuts down hdmi out
3. Parental Controls

#2 is nice for display that can be configured to turn off after a certain time of no signal. My GF sometimes forgets to turn off the TV and when I come home from work the next day the TV is still on..ouch.

bjd223

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:53 am

trekkeriii wrote:
tacticalcity wrote:
A free and fully functional web browser that can run flash would be great. Browsing the web would be great, and it would be nice to be able to access the Full Episodes of networks that do not offer a Roku channel yet...without having to mirror a computer screen.

Roku is not powerful enough. Adobe has ceased development of Flash players on additional platforms as well. Android doesn't even Support Flash anymore. Plus official network websites would block the Roku browser, similar to how they block PS4 browser for example.

A POS smartphone from 5 years ago can run a browser fine w/ flash. I doubt it is a performance issue. Obviously it may not be as fast as a PC but it is better than nothing. I don't even want the flash part, as I am not a fan but just a browser would be nice.

The blocking is an easy fix also, just use the agent string of say, an iPhone. Windows phone does thins, so if they blocked that it would block every iPhone (lots of users) from accessing the site. You could also use a regular desktop agent, so it would think it was a regular PC.

scwebb12

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Request: Add miracast screen mirroring functionality to Roku's Android app.

Since Google has removed miracast screen mirroring functionality from its "cast" app it is no long possible to mirror Android phone screens to Roku devices.

hhdbennett

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Just upgraded to roku 4. Love the new player but SUPER BUMMED that standard dolby digital is no longer supported!!! Why elimate a standard format in favor of a very lightly used format (try searching anazom for a dd+ receiver). I understand the logic behind the upgrade and all, with the 4k tv's a'coming, but the signal should be backwards compatible with the old standard. Please do not force me to replace the core of my home theater just to be in compliance with the latest standard!

Thank you for considering!!!!!

brienj

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:35 am

I am requesting the ability to install older versions of channels. Since the update to the Plex Channel this week, it no longer works properly and is horrible. If you guys would finally give us the option to install older versions of software on our Rokus, I wouldn't have to worry about this.

JordanHarris

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:51 pm

urville wrote:
Roku devices need to allow connection to local networks wired or wireless that do not have an active internet connection. Not having this functionality renders a multitude of the third party apps sold for Roku unusable that otherwise have the functionality to work on local networks without an internet connection, unusable. Embry, Subsonic, Plex, etc

In fact many of those same apps have specific offline functionality built in tot he apps specifically made for Roku. There is no valid reason to disallow this.

Valid uses: take roku to hotel/friends house/work/etc and connect to local tv, create local ad hoc or portable router network with no internet, between roku and laptop with plex server: entire home catalog is now portable anywhere on any tv. Storm knocks out fixed wireless internet, catalog still accessible. Etc

This functionality is needed. If you do want to watch content from your Plex server without an Internet connection, you can use Roku Media Player and use Plex over DLNA. Plex will even still keep track of what you watch and you can access second like On Deck. Of course the interface isn't nice, but it's a good temporary workaround for watching local media. That's what I do if I'm unfortunate enough to have the Internet go out.

BradOlsonBemidji

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:59 pm

scwebb12 wrote:
Request: Add miracast screen mirroring functionality to Roku's Android app.

Since Google has removed miracast screen mirroring functionality from its "cast" app it is no long possible to mirror Android phone screens to Roku devices.

Download a Miracast Shortcut app and you can mirror any Android to a Roku.