Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Streams
Topic Author

Remote from Roku TV

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:49 am

I have 3 TVs in my house, all 3 have a Roku connected to them and nothing else, it's all we watch. No cable or DVDs anymore.

I like the small Roku remote, the only problem is that we still need to use the big TV remote for volume and to turn the TV On/Off.

The other day I saw the remote to a "Roku TV" and it was the same as mine Roku remotes except it had a power button and volume control as well. That looked perfect!

So my question is whether I can buy 3 of these Roku TV remotes and somehow get them to control the power and volume of my 3 televisions?

Elijah_Baley

Re: Remote from Roku TV

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:11 am

Very very doubtful. Those remotes are specific to the Roku TVs and I don't believe any Roku remotes have programmable buttons.

Your best bet would be to get three of the cheap universal remotes with Roku functionality and use those. However be aware that universal remotes use IR and all Rokus respond to exactly the same set of IR signals so any IR remote will control any Roku. That is only a problem if more than one Roku can see (Basically line of sight but IR can bounce off a wall or other surface.) the IR signals from a given remote.

I cannot really help you with the exact model of a remote as I use a Harmony with a hub and that does not fit in the category of cheap. Of course if price is not much of an issue I can highly recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3R ... detailpage
It is great and once set up very easy to use to control multiple devices. Also it has an Android app that controls everything as well.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Streams
Topic Author

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:32 am

Thank you for the reply.

That's truly sad to hear that it won't work, I was very excited when I saw the Roku TV remote with the power and volume buttons :(

The universal remote that you linked to is the exact polar opposite of what I want. I want simple and small, just like the existing Roku remote. The only added functionality I need is power and volume, which is why the Roku TV remote looked so perfect.

Maybe one day...

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi Streams,

E.B gave you sound advice

they are expensive and take away from the beauty of the roku remote but there are these http://www.sideclickremotes.com/
Plus a vast array of universals that will control your tv and roku ( some less than 8 dollars) but either way that fit in the palm of your hand goodness is lacking

That said my old cablebox remote( which is much older than Roku TVs) controls my roku TV including the roku functions ( minus the "*" key ) with the tv code but none of the buttons on my actual Roku remote controls the Roku so it would seem the Roku TVs do not use the standard roku remote codes
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

BradC

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:55 am

well you could get a 32 inch roku tv for less than the price of that remote linked earlier, or a 40 inch model for a few bucks more.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:10 am

BradC wrote:
well you could get a 32 inch roku tv for less than the price of that remote linked earlier, or a 40 inch model for a few bucks more.

Or, consider that money as the cost of the remote, and it includes a free TV!
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

T_J

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 am

I bought a GE universal remote at my local Walmart (11695, 4 devices, Walmart currently $9.96 online) for my Sony 3d TV and Sony 3d Blu-ray player. The remote manual states Roku codes are 4395 and 4355. I believe I used the 4395 code; which controls all my Rokus > Roku 2 (4210r), XDS, and N1000.
It has all features as the Roku 2 (4210R) remote plus control the TV volume and Roku without changing remotes TV input.
Asterisk = i
Instant replay = hit rewind key one time
Home = menu
Back arrow (next to home key) = exit (or could use left or right arrows)

socantra

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:00 am

BradC wrote:

I assume you mean the Harmony remote, which is a pricey series that some are fond of. The remote linked directly above your post is the Sidekick for $27.00. I'll take a dozen of those 32 inch Roku TV's for under that price. :D
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.