Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Darnell
Topic Author

8K TVs are coming. I will stick with good old HD 1080p

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:37 pm

LG's 2016 TVs include its first production 8K set

This push to upgrade TVs is only coming faster. Analog to HD, then HD to 4K and now 4K to 8K. Since I have yet to move beyond HD. I am sticking with HD. I am not so much of a Video-phile, to really need more pixels.

BradC

Re: 8K TVs are coming. I will stick with good old HD 1080p

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:09 pm

at the same time more and more of the big internet companies are pushing data caps, this will be interesting for streaming.

I'm perfectly happy at 720p myself.

4d3fect

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:42 pm

BradC wrote:
at the same time more and more of the big internet companies are pushing data caps, this will be interesting for streaming.

I'm perfectly happy at 720p myself.

Likewise, I'm sure. Last TV bought I was only budgeting for a 32", but the wife pulled down a 37" onto the cart at costco. I don't think I'll ever notice a price-justifiable difference in future resolution upgrades. YMMV (almost goes without saying) I'm reasonably comfortable with technology passing me by.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take

thetick

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Darnell wrote:
This push to upgrade TVs is only coming faster. Analog to HD, then HD to 4K and now 4K to 8K. Since I have yet to move beyond HD. I am sticking with HD. I am not so much of a Video-phile, to really need more pixels.

Almost no one will even care about 8K or even 4K if it was not for the TV manufacturer's propaganda engine. It's just the TV manufactures pushing the next BIG must have feature to sell more TVs. Remember Picture-in-Picture , then HD (well that was a legit improvement), 3D, OLED, curved screen, 4K and now 8K. Who knows what barely noticeable improvement for huge $$$$ the TV manufacturers will promote as the next MUST HAVE.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

Darnell
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Staying a little behind at this rate comes with great savings for a new TV, while still getting decent quality from HD. I had budgeted almost $2K for a new 4K TV. But once I saw 8K is coming, I said I give up. I'm not going to continue this game of paying out the nose for this obsolescence by design with TVs.

Darnell
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:21 pm

thetick wrote:
Darnell wrote:

Almost no one will even care about 8K or even 4K if it was not for the TV manufacturer's propaganda engine. It's just the TV manufactures pushing the next BIG must have feature to sell more TVs. Remember Picture-in-Picture , then HD (well that was a legit improvement), 3D, OLED, curved screen, 4K and now 8K. Who knows what barely noticeable improvement for huge $$$$ the TV manufacturers will promote as the next MUST HAVE.

CNET Top 5 - Reasons not to buy a curved TV

Once I saw that, I gave up on the whole curved TV thing. And it also helped me see the game was on with these newer model TVs.

I was going to move up to 4K on at least 1 TV set, because I thought it really would be around a long time. (It was going to be a curved 4K till I gave up on the curve.) But seeing 8K is already coming. I can stick behind this TV curve and reap the benefits that come with not chasing the newest shiny thing.