Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

babydouggie
Topic Author

Roku's Failure to Address User's Problems-OS 7 Screw-up

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:32 am

I really cannot understand why it is taking so long to FIX the self-inflicted ( by Roku) problem of the OS7 software update. Many users have complained about the freezing and re-booting problems introduced by this update with no remedies offered by Roku. When one user mentioned wanting to do a rollback to 6.0 .....he was told abruptly ......We don't do rollbacks!!!. Well, maybe you should, since you seem to be unable to correct the problem. When I called customer service,
They were completely unaware of the problem.When I told him it was all over the forum, he looked it up, found where numerous users were complaining and supposedly alerted his supervisors to the problem. From what is posted here, the problem(s) are not confined to a particular model, so the software is at fault. The improvements(?) Introduced by OS7 do not seem to be that useful to most users.... So it seems to be a case of the majority of users experiencing problems to benefit(?) a few. So my suggestion is....pay some attention to the user's complaints, get on the ball and fix this problem now.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku's Failure to Address User's Problems-OS 7 Screw-up

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:52 am

My Roku 3 works just fine. My Roku HDMI Streaming Stick works just fine. There were some issues with WatchESPN, but the latest update resolved it.

The problems are different for older devices. The issues that Roku 2 XS users experience, for example, don't exist for me. So, it's not quite as you're stating.

You haven't posted on the forums in 22 months. I suspect that's because you haven't had a major issue since March 2014. That means it's worked really well (as you indicated). But, they are having some issues with older devices. They have been issuing fixes, just not fast enough to suit most users. So, it's not a failure to address the problems but a failure to address them as quickly as you would like.

Heck, I'd be frustrated, too, except my 34-month old Roku 3 works great.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

raqball

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 am

Well......

Against my better judgement I picked up another Roku 4 yesterday. (my 1st one died a few days after release and was returned) and this one is going back as well..

This Roku 4 is quiet and cool so I was originally happy I got a good unit but....

My issue is that Sling TV finally works well on my Roku 3. Almost dare I say, flawless streaming. On the Roku 4 it has horrible video quality and buffers quite often. Please O please do not blame my internet connection........

I watch Sling TV quite a bit. I don't know where the issue lies. Is it a OS 7 problem only seen on the Roku 4 because of the different hardware or is it a code issue that only effects the Roku 4 that Sling TV needs to fix?
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

babydouggie
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 am

Basil, I have the Roku 2XS 3100x with (now build 9044). So it is not a stick or Roku 3. My point was I was not experiencing "any" problems until this update. It does not seem that it is any kind of priority to Roku to correct the problems that they caused. My Roku unit is not defective nor is it damaged. The problems that I have were introduced by the software that Roku has basically forced the users to implement, remember....We don't do rollbacks! I would guess that there are more older generation Rokus in service than sticks or Roku 3s or 4s, so getting the older units to work ( as they did before the OS 7 "update"), should be a priority. (Unless they are trying to force users to buy new units). I did a search on this forum...Os7 freezing...and there were 1420 posts concerning this. I would appreciate Roku responding and informing me exactly what they are doing to correct the problems that "they " caused.

JordanHarris

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34 am

My Roku 3 and to be running a lot better now than it did when I first got it around Black Friday. I was too experiencing some freezes and restarts, but for the past couple of weeks out hasn't had any problems whatsoever. It even runs a lot cooler now. My Roku used to get very hot and it was really worrying me, but it's doing fine now. They must have rolled out an update because my experience has been awesome lately. I hate to see that other people are experiencing problems when mine is doing so great.

Basil

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:10 pm

babydouggie wrote:
Basil, I have the Roku 2XS 3100x with (now build 9044). So it is not a stick or Roku 3. My point was I was not experiencing "any" problems until this update. It does not seem that it is any kind of priority to Roku to correct the problems that they caused. My Roku unit is not defective nor is it damaged. The problems that I have were introduced by the software that Roku has basically forced the users to implement, remember....We don't do rollbacks! I would guess that there are more older generation Rokus in service than sticks or Roku 3s or 4s, so getting the older units to work ( as they did before the OS 7 "update"), should be a priority. (Unless they are trying to force users to buy new units). I did a search on this forum...Os7 freezing...and there were 1420 posts concerning this. I would appreciate Roku responding and informing me exactly what they are doing to correct the problems that "they " caused.

I got your point. You missed mine: they're working it. One fix did wonders for the Roku 3. It'll take a different fix for the Roku 2 XS. And they don't want a Roku 2 XS fix to break my Roku 3. Me, either, for that matter.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

dfgsrzwer

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:17 pm

I have an older device as well, and was not pleased with the update. But to tell the truth, if the worst thing that is happening to you is that you need to reboot more often than before...

(The ellipsis is there for a reason. And at the risk of being even more snarky, I have to wonder if all these people being "inconvenienced" by rebooting more often were all born after 1982.)
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

trekkeriii

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 pm

To the OP, did you disable the Menu Sounds as Roku themselves have suggested until they find the permanent solution? Yes, they are working on the issues. Likely to see the fixes in 7.1.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Geordie

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Just received my 7.0 build 9044 form Roku stick and it does not correct the problem introduced with 7.0 6021 which I reported. I did not have any problems with 6.0 on my LG LG50PN6500. The Stick does however work on my older Sony Bravia with 6021 or 6044.

Have several streaming devices from other manufacturers and bought the Roku for access to AcornTV. Started using my Windows 10 laptop to access AcornTC until the problem introduced by 7.0 was corrected. Wondering if a new stick or Roku 3 or 4 would work instead of waiting again.

My early experience as a programmer was updating an operating system and the easiest error to correct was one you introduced yourself when trying to correct another problem. Much harder to correct someone else’s coding so not sure what the problem is at Roku correcting 7.0 back to 6.0.

hackztor

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:58 pm

The 9044 update fixed some of my issues but introduced other ones too mostly with using plex. They really did not add much into version 7 that this much stuff should be been broke. I see a battery level setting and not much else. Losing faith quickly in Roku and will probably be jumping ship to Nvidia Shield now that you can reorganize apps. Roku was always known as the most stable of all the streamers but now I am not so sure. This is a MEDIA PLAYER it should play media perfectly / faster fixes for those issues and new features should be last.

Basil

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:05 am

Geordie wrote:
Just received my 7.0 build 9044 form Roku stick and it does not correct the problem introduced with 7.0 6021 which I reported. I did not have any problems with 6.0 on my LG LG50PN6500. The Stick does however work on my older Sony Bravia with 6021 or 6044.

Have several streaming devices from other manufacturers and bought the Roku for access to AcornTV. Started using my Windows 10 laptop to access AcornTC until the problem introduced by 7.0 was corrected. Wondering if a new stick or Roku 3 or 4 would work instead of waiting again.

My early experience as a programmer was updating an operating system and the easiest error to correct was one you introduced yourself when trying to correct another problem. Much harder to correct someone else’s coding so not sure what the problem is at Roku correcting 7.0 back to 6.0.

Are you saying that disabling sounds as a temporary fix didn't work for you? Or are you saying that you haven't done that oft-reference workaround?

As a programmer, I'm certain you've been in situations where you've had to give people a workaround until the fix is rolled out. And, if not, others between you and the consumer have. Welcome to the other side of the fence.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

froggythe

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:37 am

I'm having serious issues as well . Mine is dropping the network . Then when I unplug it to reboot . The screen logo flashes over and over and never comes back . Then I have to to the paperclip and then it comes back . I watch Netflix a lot .

Ive updated to the latest and still have the problem .My rokus are unusable like this .

Basil

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:02 am

froggythe wrote:
I'm having serious issues as well . Mine is dropping the network . Then when I unplug it to reboot . The screen logo flashes over and over and never comes back . Then I have to to the paperclip and then it comes back . I watch Netflix a lot .

Ive updated to the latest and still have the problem .My rokus are unusable like this .

Are you running v7.0 b9044? And on the Roku 2 XS devices, have you turned off menu sounds? That has been suggested in multiple threads. Try it and see if that temporary solution works until Roku rolls out a fix.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

froggythe

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:10 am

Yes I'm running that . I notice when I goto wired it started working again .I dong know how long . And I turned off the menu sounds

babydouggie
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:44 am

Hi,
I'm the OP on this thread and I appreciate all the well-meaning suggestions that have been offered. On the plus side, I really am not having any major problems (as yet !), other than the occasional and seemingly random freezes or lock-ups. I really don't use the Roku for much other than to facilitate streaming from my android device and watch Netflix. It is frustrating, though, to realize the lack of support Roku offers. I have been told that there is a fix in the works ( but not by any "official" Roku representative, such as RokuShawn, James, or Dale.....who's presence on this thread has been conspicuously absent... ) Roku should make an announcement addressing this problem with their product(s)... which they won't.... if there is, in fact, a real effort to correct this problem. It really does not help for someone with no connection to the Roku company to tell everyone who complains about this "update" that "they (Roku) are working on it"