Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bigjay71
Topic Author

USB power cable voltage concerns for Roku 2

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Hey guys,

I am a new Roku user, having wanted to ditch cable altogether, and this is my first post.

I want to replace the AC adapter with a USB cable such as the one's sold on Amazon like this one here. http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Powering-Roku-Eliminates-Adapter/dp/B014QC1RFE/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452021569&sr=1-4&keywords=roku+power I wanted to mount my ROKU 2 4210R to the top back of my Samsung 60 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV UN60JU6400F UHD TV, the TV itself is wall mounted, but the cord on the factory power adapter isn't long enough to reach surge protector on the floor.

My question is, does the math with the voltage workout, or am I just asking to fry my new Roku or the USB port on my tv? Several of the commenters on the USB cable I linked above for the product on Amazon have brought up the same issue, others have said that the ROKU simply won't work. I'm terrible about working out the voltage/amperage, and terrible at all things electronics in general. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: USB power cable voltage concerns for Roku 2

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:25 pm

bigjay71 wrote:
Hey guys,

I am a new Roku user, having wanted to ditch cable altogether, and this is my first post.

I want to replace the AC adapter with a USB cable such as the one's sold on Amazon like this one here. http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Powering-Roku-Eliminates-Adapter/dp/B014QC1RFE/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452021569&sr=1-4&keywords=roku+power I wanted to mount my ROKU 2 4210R to the top back of my Samsung 60 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV UN60JU6400F UHD TV, the TV itself is wall mounted, but the cord on the factory power adapter isn't long enough to reach surge protector on the floor.

My question is, does the math with the voltage workout, or am I just asking to fry my new Roku or the USB port on my tv? Several of the commenters on the USB cable I linked above for the product on Amazon have brought up the same issue, others have said that the ROKU simply won't work. I'm terrible about working out the voltage/amperage, and terrible at all things electronics in general. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I think it's doubtful that you're going to blow anything out or fry your electronics, but the most likely situation is that it just won't (adequately/consistently) power your Roku. If you're concerned, I'd suggest spending a little less and getting an extension cord.

Elijah_Baley

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:36 pm

I am very surprised that there are not more negative reviews as no one that has tried to power their Roku via USB. However that device appears to not connect to the Rok's USB port but rather uses the Roku's power input. This means that it is supplying 5v to a device expecting 12v.

That could work depending on how forgiving the Roku is about voltage anomalies but one of the problems ealry Rokus had was their power supplies would not provide enough power (voltage * current) and this would sometimes result in reboots or even the Roku failing to work at all.

An electronic device can be damaged by under power and I do not believe that the technology in this cheap device can really protect from under power situations like the blurb say it does. It also seems unlikely that Rokus running off unstable power will not themselves be unstable.

I would not trust the device to run my Roku. The slight inconvenience of needing extra power sources is outweighed by keeping my device safe from unpredictable damage.

Also, if you use the USB on the TV then the Roku will shutdown whenever the TV shuts down and that would preclude listening to audio without the TV being on and that would be a show stopper for many people.

Bottom line for me is that it "might" work but I would not use it.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:49 pm

I'd exchange the Roku2 for an HDMI Stick. It's designed for use on wall hung tvs and comes with a USB power cord and adapter.
It also costs less. https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R