Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Dairylander
Topic Author

Hard-wire a Roku TV with ethernet-dongle-USB port

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:59 am

I read the thread on buying a dongle and connecting the ethernet to the TV's USB via a Belkin dongle:
viewtopic.php?p=455800
The dongle that RokuShawn recommends has been discontinued for a new product here:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Ethern ... et+adapter
I bought this new dongle and hooked up to my Sharp 43 inch Roku TV.
I've done the system restart, the factory reset, and the reboot to no avail.
I called Sharp and they say this will not work, that there's no way to get drivers into the TV, but isn't the belkin dongle "driverless"?
Is there another dongle that doesn't require drivers?
Is there an ethernet to HDMI that would work?
Has anyone else had success with a Sharp Roku TV?

rkuser2128

Re: Hard-wire a Roku TV with ethernet-dongle-USB port

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi,

I just bought the 43" Sharp Roku TV from Best Buy today. The first USB dongle didn't work (a 3.0 USB to ethernet adapter), then I tried the one I had connected to out WII U. Success!!

The brand is "Plugable" and the Model is USB2-E100 (sold at Newegg and Amazon for $12).

Just hook up the adapter, go into Setting -> System settings -> Power -> System Restart

I knew it worked right away because the Home screen previously stated "Not Connected" in the top right of the screen and after the restart, it listed the current time. No need to go into Netflix and check the connection as others have written.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet ... B00484IEJS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2XB12C5920

captivater

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 pm

rkuser2128 wrote:
Hi,

I just bought the 43" Sharp Roku TV from Best Buy today. The first USB dongle didn't work (a 3.0 USB to ethernet adapter), then I tried the one I had connected to out WII U. Success!!

The brand is "Plugable" and the Model is USB2-E100 (sold at Newegg and Amazon for $12).

Just hook up the adapter, go into Setting -> System settings -> Power -> System Restart

I knew it worked right away because the Home screen previously stated "Not Connected" in the top right of the screen and after the restart, it listed the current time. No need to go into Netflix and check the connection as others have written.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet ... B00484IEJS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2XB12C5920

$12 for an adapter is a bit steep.

First, I'd try

$2
or
$3
EDIT: looks like the $3 one is USB 1.1. A definite no-no.
Last edited by captivater on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:07 pm

I just ordered the $2 one ($2.80 Canadian). I'll post whether it works or not when it gets here in a month. :(

-JT

captivater

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:25 pm

renojim wrote:
I just ordered the $2 one ($2.80 Canadian). I'll post whether it works or not when it gets here in a month. :(

-JT

Great! :D :D

I would have ordered it, but am in the process of moving/downsizing. In fact, I have to toss wads of cables (rca, rca components, serial cables). So yeah. No. I can't order any more "stuff".

rkuser2128

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks. Let us know how it goes. I turned on the TV tonight and it wasn't connected. I needed to restart again. Wondering of the adapter lost power or something so it may not be 100% compatible for the Roku TV.

jayman

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:12 pm

jayman wrote:
This one also works:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Ethern ... s=f4U047bt

Was able to verify it on the router via the roku ID #. Just followed the procedure previously mentioned and it worked.

I posted this in another similar thread. However, I would like to add that it seems to automatically goes back to wireless everytime the tv is powered off. We don't have netflix so can't check that way, but I can see the device on the router's connected devices list under wired connections. Worked as soon as I hooked it up and did the system restart. Then yesterday noticed the connection was dropping and when i checked the router it was listed as wireless. After restart it was once again back in the wired connections list

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:54 pm

renojim wrote:

Well, sadly, it doesn't work It took almost a month to get here, but no joy. :-( I'll keep playing with it, but it doesn't look good.

-JT

Dagwood

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:28 am

I use a Plugable USB2-E100. $12 on amazon. It works just fine and is small enough that I attached it to the back of the TV with a command strip. Everyonce in a while the TV will go back to Wifi, but I think that has to do with an unreliable powerline adapter bringing in the ethernet signal. I restart the TV from the power menu and it syncsback up.

twiceover

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:36 am

Dagwood wrote:
I use a Plugable USB2-E100. $12 on amazon. It works just fine and is small enough that I attached it to the back of the TV with a command strip. Everyonce in a while the TV will go back to Wifi, but I think that has to do with an unreliable powerline adapter bringing in the ethernet signal. I restart the TV from the power menu and it syncsback up.

What TV? Even though Roku said it shouldn't matter, it does seem to.

In one of the other threads I purchased an adapter that one person said worked perfectly on their TV. Did not work on mine. I've tried 3 now, none even worked once.

Dagwood

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 am

I have a Sharp LC-50LB371U, the 50in model from Bestbuy.

The Plugable USB2-E100 was the second adapter I tried/purchased and it worked. The first one I tried didn’t work.

It is worth noting that there is nothing intuitive about verifying that you are connected via Ethernet. The two best methods I have found are.

1.Upon turning the TV on, did it say or "connecting" in the upper right corner?
If so, then you are still on Wifi. The Wifi takes a minute to get connected, but the set will connect immediately when it is using the Ethernet port.

2. Open the network settings.
If the "connected" TV suddenly drops the signal and goes offline, even though it said you were on online and on Wifi, you were actually on Ethernet before you opened the network settings. If it doesnt drop the connection, then you are on Wifi.
This method forces you to go to the power settings and "restart" the TV again, as there is no reconnecting to the ethernet port after opening the menu, short of a system restart.

celiyah

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:36 am

"$12 for an adapter is a bit steep."

Are you serious? You're messing with a $300-$400 TV. Get the one that works.

Sigh.

twiceover

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:27 pm

celiyah wrote:
"$12 for an adapter is a bit steep."

Are you serious? You're messing with a $300-$400 TV. Get the one that works.

Sigh.

$12 isn't steep, but the issue seems to be that even though a dongle works for one TV it doesn't for another. I bought the one that multiple people said works... There goes $18.

celiyah

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Sorry didn't mean to be snarky. The Plugable brand worked for me. You *do* have to verify it in Netflix settings, not the TV settings (Netflix => Settings => Help => Network).

If you try to verify it in the TV Network settings, it will DISCONNECT the wired network and try to force you to set up wireless. Stupid design.

Here is the output from Netflix:

Wired
Name: eth0 (wireless was wlan0)
IP Address: 192.168.0.37 (wireless was .36 so I know it's grabbing a new address via DHCP)
Connected: yes
Default: yes

DNS servers
192.168.0.1 (this is incorrect, that's the gateway, not DNS)
205.171.2.25 (I believe these are CenturyLink's DNS servers but not sure)
8.8.8.8 (Google)

Bradleys

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Sharp 32" Roku TV
Plugable USB 2.0

It worked perfectly, thanks.

Exactly what I purchased...

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for MacBook, Chromebook, Windows, Linux, Wii, Wii U & Switch Game Console

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00484IEJS/re ... DzbTEGYSR8