Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Linkedit
Topic Author

Roku with My Cloud

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:21 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I currently have a WD Live box streaming movies from a My Cloud drive, what I like about this is I can access the movies without having to turn my computer on. The issue is the WD box really isn't that great and has a horrible interface. And it's also starting to malfunction and intermittently not work. I'm thinking about getting a Roku three but I'm having trouble finding a definite answer if I can stream from the NAS drive without a computer. And if the Roku will be able to handle all the different movie file formats that I have.

So, the question is can the Roku box access my movie files directly from the My Cloud drive like my WD box does?

Thanks in advance.

JordanHarris

Re: Roku with My Cloud

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:32 pm

I don't know about the cloud thing, but it might be possible to run a Plex sever on your NAS drive. Roku only supports certain formats and if the Roku doesn't support a particular format you're using, Plex can help by transcoding them. Try reading Is Plex Media Server on a NAS right for me?. I find that to be the easiest way to watch your media content on the Roku. Perhaps someone else can chime in about the other things.

Buzzard1999

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Yes you can. I have that exact setup. I have a MyCloud holding all of my movies with access from all my Rokus. I use Roku Media Player which works great. I'm not really happy with the interface but I know it's a work in progress. I don't remember the setup being a pain at all. I think my Rokus just recognized the MyCloud as soon as I launched Roku Media Player. Let me know if you have any questions.

Linkedit
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Buzzard1999 wrote:
Yes you can. I have that exact setup. I have a MyCloud holding all of my movies with access from all my Rokus. I use Roku Media Player which works great. I'm not really happy with the interface but I know it's a work in progress. I don't remember the setup being a pain at all. I think my Rokus just recognized the MyCloud as soon as I launched Roku Media Player. Let me know if you have any questions.

Roku Media Player is an app that runs on the Roku box?

Buzzard1999

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Roku Media Player is an app that runs on the Roku box?

Yes it's a ROKU channel. You should find it in the Channel Store.

blackcows

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:47 am

I recently helped a friend setup a MyCloud with a Roku, all of the video files are MP4 so I can only speak to that. The files do play using Roku Media Player and it works well. I use a Synology Server (212J) and we are in the process of returning the MyCloud and replacing their server with a Synology 212J. The difference in cost between the two is not much and the Synology offers so much more. First and foremost you can run Plex on the Synology and use the Plex app on the Roku which, in my opinion, offer a MUCH better experience.

Linkedit
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:46 am

blackcows wrote:
I recently helped a friend setup a MyCloud with a Roku, all of the video files are MP4 so I can only speak to that. The files do play using Roku Media Player and it works well. I use a Synology Server (212J) and we are in the process of returning the MyCloud and replacing their server with a Synology 212J. The difference in cost between the two is not much and the Synology offers so much more. First and foremost you can run Plex on the Synology and use the Plex app on the Roku which, in my opinion, offer a MUCH better experience.

I had considered a Synology drive but went with the My Cloud to save a few dollars. I regret that now. I still may add one though.

bennor3814

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:52 am

Been using a My Cloud single drive unit with a Roku (Roku 2 XS) for a while now. No problems. The Roku Media Player channel (installed from the Roku Channel Store) will play any Roku supported media that the Twonky DLNA Media Server within the My Cloud catalogs and serves up. SRT subtitles files play fine too.

The multi drive My Cloud units (My Cloud Mirror, EX2, EX4 and other models) DO support a Plex module add-on along with other third party add-on modules. The downside is apparently one cannot do transcoding on the My Cloud units to the DLNA clients. See the Plex supported NAS compatibility list document (https://docs.google.com/a/plexapp.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/) for a listing of which My Cloud units are currently supported. There is a 2nd Generation of the single bay My Cloud drive that is coming (some have reportedly already gotten their hands on one) that will support certain 3rd party add-on modules but its not clear if Plex will be one of the supported modules for that unit.

When it comes to the My Cloud it is strongly recommended one read the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) if they haven't already done so. It contains the general information on how to use the device and the various features. It is also recommended not to use the WD software if it isn't needed, rather use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to copy files to the drive. Note however there are problems with Mac El Capitan and the My Cloud. See the big Support os x el capitan thread over on the WD user forums (https://community.wd.com/t/support-os-x-el-capitan/96744). There is also some issues with Windows 10 and the My Cloud. See the Compilation of Windows 10 Methods, Steps and Solutions thread (https://community.wd.com/t/compilation-of-windows-10-methods-steps-and-solutions/142576) in the WD user forums for more information on possible solutions to Windows 10 / My Cloud issues.

it is also strongly recommended one see the [FAQ] Twonky DLNA Media Server Setup & Use thread (https://community.wd.com/t/faq-twonky-dlna-media-server-setup-use/95373) over on the WD user forum as it has much information on how to effectively use Twonky.

On a side note, if possible connect the Roku to the local network via Ethernet to avoid any possible potential WiFi problems when streaming media or if one has an older WiFi router.

Linkedit
Topic Author

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 am

So I received my Roku 3 yesterday. There are a few issues. Setup was easy and the device instantly saw all of my movie files from the My Cloud. The problem is they all play with no sound. I have .MKV's .mp4's, you name it. None had sound. When I tried to use the volume button on the side of the remote I get an icon of a speaker with an exclamation point on the screen. I tried a few different audio settings on the Roku, none worked. I do get sound on the other Roku channels though.

Also when I set the box to 1080p I get white specks all over the screen (I have an older Sony KDL-52XBR4). The Roku was connected to the TV via the same HDMI cable that I use for the WD box which has never had video issues.

Is there a FAQ or something online that addresses issues with streaming from a drive, playing various video files etc?

Thanks

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:28 am

If you copy any files to a thumb drive and plug that into the USB drive, do they play?

If not, they probably aren't in the correct format: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264). Until that's resolved, nothing else will fix it.

If they do play, there is another issue.

When you create the videos, if your software has an iTunes/Apple TV preset, use that. That always seems to work. Vary from that at your own peril.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Linkedit
Topic Author

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 am

Basil wrote:
they probably aren't in the correct format: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264). Until that's resolved, nothing else will fix it.

If they do play, there is another issue.

I think that's the issue. My WD box plays everything so I never paid attention to the file types.

JordanHarris

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:48 pm

You can see the supported media formats listed here. The audio might not be in a supported format, so that might be your problem. You could use software such as Handbrake, which is recommended by Roku, to convert the media.

blackcows

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 am

JordanHarris wrote:
You can see the supported media formats listed here. The audio might not be in a supported format, so that might be your problem. You could use software such as Handbrake, which is recommended by Roku, to convert the media.

Around my house it seems like content is more important that quality. I used to rip all of my DVDs as TS_Video folders, while this gave me the highest quality it was difficult to find many players that could play this content. A few weeks ago I took the plunge and used Handbrake to convert about 450 DVDs to MP4. It took a lot of time but in the end I have a format that will play on any device. Going forward its going to be exclusively MP4s for me so I know what every path I take in the future in regards to digital media players it's highly unlikely my file type wont be compatible.