Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dfgsrzwer

Re: I am a bit disappointed with the free content on my ROKU

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:59 pm

CableBoy wrote:

I also found some lists of free channels, but about half of them are only free if you have cable TV. I wish they would stop calling them free.

They are free in that Roku does not charge you to install them. Every single one of them in the channel description will say "may require additional fees".
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

thetick

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:17 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Just so you're aware, this has nothing to do with Roku specifically - this is true for all set-top boxes, from all manufacturers. It's because of the licensing rights set forth by the networks and content owners, not a choice by Roku (or Amazon, or Apple) to show less content. This is true for Hulu as well as the network offerings.

Get a Chromecast and do tab browsing. The Hulu servers detect a PC and you can watch all the free Hulu content on big TV.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

CableBoy
Topic Author

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am going to be trying most of them.

I decided to keep my ROKU3 as I have been finding more free content. I found there is definitely a learning curve to this streaming stuff. But between my free over the air channels (about 45), renting DVD from RedBox and some free channels (movies) on the Roku3, I have enough TV viewing to keep me out of trouble. And I will continue to watch free movies using my laptop from hulu.

One interesting thing I just saw today at a home show was a device called EZ Streaming TV. I don't know much about it, but the salesman could find every movie I asked for on his system. Its a bit pricey at $350 (one time cost). It sure did get a lot of movies. And you get everything at one site. It looked pretty good. I don't know if anyone here knows anything about this or not. But If I didn't already have my Roku3, I would have given that box a try. They had a good story to tell.

TBDave

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:03 am

CableBoy wrote:
I am also considering SlingTV for $20 a month.

If you're going to spend $20 a month, I'd recommend Netflix and Hulu (No Commercials). That combo should be around $20.

JordanHarris

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:27 am

TBDave wrote:
CableBoy wrote:
I am also considering SlingTV for $20 a month.

If you're going to spend $20 a month, I'd recommend Netflix and Hulu (No Commercials). That combo should be around $20.

I would too. They definitely give you the most value for your money (especially Netflix), but they're also the best services when it comes to content (again, especially Netflix). I think Amazon Prime is well worth the money too, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you don't buy from Amazon a lot. It pretty much has what the other two don't, with a lot of past HBO series.

He did say that he likes "live" content, so maybe Sling is a better choice for him. The Roku does at least include nice trials of these services. I'm still using my free trial of Hulu.

vnazario

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:59 am

CableBoy wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am going to be trying most of them.

I decided to keep my ROKU3 as I have been finding more free content. I found there is definitely a learning curve to this streaming stuff. But between my free over the air channels (about 45), renting DVD from RedBox and some free channels (movies) on the Roku3, I have enough TV viewing to keep me out of trouble. And I will continue to watch free movies using my laptop from hulu.

One interesting thing I just saw today at a home show was a device called EZ Streaming TV. I don't know much about it, but the salesman could find every movie I asked for on his system. Its a bit pricey at $350 (one time cost). It sure did get a lot of movies. And you get everything at one site. It looked pretty good. I don't know if anyone here knows anything about this or not. But If I didn't already have my Roku3, I would have given that box a try. They had a good story to tell.

Hello again:

Devices like EZ Streaming TV are not worth the price tag. Instead, I suggest you buy a Google Nexus player or Fire TV console and learn to side load Kodi to get access to free movies and TV shows. IMO the Nexus player is the better of the 2 because you have all the same access and functionality of the Chromecast plus Android TV apps. It also has a new "Live TV" feature that meshes up Pluto.TV and other apps into a single app with guide for additional Live TV content than what you get OTA with your antenna. The Nexus player is also the best front-end device to use if you use an HDHomerun Network TV Tuner/DVR as the new "Live TV" app is designed primarily for the HDHR but will mesh Pluto.TV and other apps if you don't have an HDHR.

The Fire TV has more native apps in its app store than the Nexus player and is more user-friendly but it is really designed into favoring Amazon content so if you don't have (or plan to) having an Amazon Prime account, I suggest you choose the Nexus. The Fire TV is also more popular than Nexus so it will have better support and more native apps.

Both are great choices but in order to use those devices to its max potential you will need to learn how to side load apps and attach pointer/air mouse device so you can use apps not "designed for TV". You will also need to know what are the best apps to side load for free TV, movies, etc. I also suggest you side load a 3rd party app store like Aptoid or Black Market and Chrome web browser plus Flash player to use sites like Ororo.tv . But, at a minimum, side load Kodi with Fusion repositories and you are golden.

Youtube has video tutorials on how to do this.

Hope these tips help.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:54 am

CableBoy wrote:

Oh, gosh, you can find all kinds of illegal, pirated content all over the Internet. You don't need to spend $350 for a device to let you steal content. Because, think about it, the people that own that content you can get "for free" aren't getting the money that is legally due them for the streaming of content. They aren't going to sign a contract with some company that will then let you stream "every movie you could ask for" for free. Basic economics. Nothing is free. Anyone that tells you can get everything for free is either lying to you or is taking it from someone else.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

CableBoy
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 am

Basil wrote:
Oh, gosh, you can find all kinds of illegal, pirated content all over the Internet. You don't need to spend $350 for a device to let you steal content. Because, think about it, the people that own that content you can get "for free" aren't getting the money that is legally due them for the streaming of content. They aren't going to sign a contract with some company that will then let you stream "every movie you could ask for" for free. Basic economics. Nothing is free. Anyone that tells you can get everything for free is either lying to you or is taking it from someone else.

Oh my.. I am glad I didn't buy it. But a lot of people were buying it. They had a big booth at our local home show with lots of TV's and demos. I don't mind getting free stuff, but I am not into pirating.

kc8pql

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:30 pm

But a lot of people were buying it.

...and a lot of people will be very unhappy when the pirate gets shut down leaving them with nothing for their $350...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

MWDXER

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:38 am

Depending on what you want. I bought the Roku LT, not to cut the cord. but to add more variety that I could not get with Dish, even though they do have a lot of variety. with Dish.I have 994 channels on my Roku. I know that is shocking to some, but the vast variety of regular and private channels is amazing and 95% of what I have is totally free. I am a news junkie and I love watching English language news worldwide. Only streaming offers that and most of it is totally free. BBC World, CNN Int, Russia Today, Press TV, DWTV, France 24, NHK Japan, Arrirang from Korea, to name a few. For me I like Nowhere as there is a ton of variety there. I am also a big fan of old TV shows and Nowhere has many of them. For me, the Roku fills a nitch not available elsewhere. I feel the Roku is one of best things ever built in today's world. I am subscribing to Warner Archive and I am enjoying many old shows I have not seen since I was a kid like Hawaiian Eye & 77 Sunset Strip. I am always checking to see what new services they have added.To be the Roku rocks! For $50 I spent for the Roku, it was well worst the investment.

knuckle

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:36 am

Having been with Roku since the first generation product I sub to netflix and hulu and have a prime membership for the shipping discount so I have the big 3 I also have Plex set up with a large number of plugins and it is a HUGE amount of programming and my family members love it but I find that 90% of the time I watch TV it is either on music ( pandora or Iheart ) or I am watching you tube
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Foolish Hulu Fanboy

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:18 pm

If you mainly watch movies you may be better off subscribing to HBO Now than Netflix, Hulu, or Sling. I have Netflix/Hulu myself because I watch a mix of TV and movies, but HBO has the best selection of movies of all the subscription services. Sling is best if you want Sports and/or live content in addition to movies and TV shows.

Much of the content on free Hulu is available on Roku, but not through the Hulu channel. The channels for ABC, NBC, Fox and Comedy Central require a cable login to watch a large portion of their content, but they usually also offer a handful of recent episodes for free (with commercials) for people who don't have cable. Usually these episodes are the same episodes available on free Hulu. And free Hulu has a pretty limited selection of movies; if you install Crackle, Popcorn Flix, and Tubi TV you'll have at least as good a movie selection as free Hulu.

FX4

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:07 pm

I subscribe to most of the premium services and I am still cheaper than my DirecTV bill was five years ago with just HBO. I'm currently spending 80.00 a month for: SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, & Show Time. Although Netflix and Amazon Prime would exist with or without cord cutting.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

CableBoy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks to all of you for your helpful thoughts, information and ideas.

I have installed Crackle, Popcorn Flix, and Tubi. They are all free and have some movies that I have never seen.

I also plan on trying Sling TV on their free 14 day test plan. $20 a month might not be too bad. I will give it a try.

Being retired, I was trying to keep costs down. I did buy an antenna, DVD and Roku3 for my TV watching. These so far have been one-time-costs.
My Verizon internet connection is costing about $33 a month. Most people forget about that cost when talking about TV stuff. So right now that is my ONLY monthly cost. For $47 additional a month, Verizon will provide me with 200+ cable channels, but I have not signed up for that. Oh, I occasionally rent DVD's from Red Box. Mostly in the winter time. I think they are a pretty good deal.

FX4

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 am

Really on a just keep costs down perspective. OTA, Netflix, Hulu, a basic Sling TV package (News, sports, AMC) and call it done. ~37.00 a month for those packages and you will have a ton of entertainment. If budget is really tight Netflix and Hulu alone offer an awful lot of bang for the buck. 16.00 a month for those two.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)