Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: I am a bit disappointed with the free content on my ROKU

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:54 am

CableBoy wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your helpful thoughts, information and ideas.

I have installed Crackle, Popcorn Flix, and Tubi. They are all free and have some movies that I have never seen.

I also plan on trying Sling TV on their free 14 day test plan. $20 a month might not be too bad. I will give it a try.

Being retired, I was trying to keep costs down. I did buy an antenna, DVD and Roku3 for my TV watching. These so far have been one-time-costs.
My Verizon internet connection is costing about $33 a month. Most people forget about that cost when talking about TV stuff. So right now that is my ONLY monthly cost. For $47 additional a month, Verizon will provide me with 200+ cable channels, but I have not signed up for that. Oh, I occasionally rent DVD's from Red Box. Mostly in the winter time. I think they are a pretty good deal.

That's a good price on Internet. At least, compared to many locations.

Sling brings me sports, but nothing else. I can find much of the other content I want cheaper elsewhere, outside of college football season.

I'm a fan of Hulu. While not free, it's a bargain as a replacement for cable. For what it would cost me to put up an antenna and tower (I'm far from stations) Hulu allows me to not deal with that one-time large expense.

I used to use the Red Box app on my phone to find a kiosk that had what I wanted and order it. I've now dropped DVDs entirely, but it was useful for a while.

I enjoy Pub-D-Hub for older movies, shorts, and TV shows and other old-time content. It usually brings a smile to my face, seeing Rice Krispies or Coke commercials from my childhood.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

FX4

Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:02 am

The cost of an internet connection is always an interesting point to me. From my perspective, Internet is a sunk cost. I am going to have that cost with or without streaming television. I suppose an argument can be made that I purchase higher bandwidth because of streaming television.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Basil

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:17 am

FX4 wrote:
The cost of an internet connection is always an interesting point to me. From my perspective, Internet is a sunk cost. I am going to have that cost with or without streaming television. I suppose an argument can be made that I purchase higher bandwidth because of streaming television.

Yes, if someone does move to a higher package, the difference is the cost of streaming. Others may disagree. They have in the past. Let's hope it doesn't go there. I'll have to break out the popcorn.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

T_J

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:42 am

Apps I mainly watch are Netflix, Bloomberg Live, YouTube, and WeatherNation Live (I live near tornado alley). OTA supplies news, sports, and some shows. WeatherNation Live streams great with my Sony 3D Blu-ray player WN-app; not the best with the Roku WN-app (due to my slow DSL).

While Bloomberg Live is mainly an investment channel, they have some live news coverage throughout the day. Bloomberg TV’s 5-6 pm (ET) live show ‘With All Due Respect’ will replay at 6 pm on MSNBC, weeknights starting in January. [great live non-biased political coverage] Bloomberg Live streams great with Nowhere TV BL-app; not the best with the Roku BL-app (due to my slow DSL).

YouTube – I’ve watched full episodes of ESPN NHRA, ESPN World Series of Poker (WSOP), World Poker Tour, Prospectors (Weather Channel), fishing videos/shows, and live streams of college sports. Currently I’m watching ‘ESPN WSOP – main event 2015’.

I pay $65/mo for 1.28 Mbps internet and required phone service (no long distance plan), I use my cell phone for long distance. I could get faster DSL but that would raise cost to $80/mo for DSL and required phone service. My neighbor recently said my Roku 2 (4210) / 40" Sony kdl40ex720 3D led picture (Netflix and Sling TV-free trail) looked about as good as his DirecTV / Mitsubishi 73" DLP 3D.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:06 am

Basil wrote:
FX4 wrote:

Yes, if someone does move to a higher package, the difference is the cost of streaming. Others may disagree. They have in the past. Let's hope it doesn't go there. I'll have to break out the popcorn.

I've always said half your internet cost is a good compromise. Most people if they did not stream would only use their phone plans for internet otherwise, so it's not a "sunk cost". If they did not stream, they could get by just fine without it.

The keywords there are "most" and "compromise".
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

mikebdoss

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:59 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Basil wrote:
FX4 wrote:

I've always said half your internet cost is a good compromise. Most people if they did not stream would only use their phone plans for internet otherwise, so it's not a "sunk cost". If they did not stream, they could get by just fine without it.

No one ever seems to include the cost of electricity or their rent/mortgage into their cord-cutting costs, though. Both of those things are just as important as your internet.

FX4

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:24 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Basil wrote:
FX4 wrote:

Hmm, don't know about that. Smart phones came around in what 2007? They just made me mobile but did not change any of my other habits. I have had a dedicated internet connection since 1997. Before that I used dial up.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Ace

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Why has no one here mentioned "Mirroring". It can be done on a Roku 3 if you have Windows 8. You can watch ANYTHING you can play on your computer doing that. So if you have Windows 8 then you can watch your Free Hulu!

Ace

gkl

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Each person has his or her own opinion, but I'm pretty happy with the free content available through my Roku. I have the follow free channels current loaded on my Roku, in no particular order, all of which I believe offer pretty good free content:

YouTube (tons of free content, including full episodes of a number of PBS programs, such as the News Hour, which can be watched on your own schedule)
Ebru (good reruns from the BBC, ITV, and the British Commonwealth countries)
BYU TV (some good, family-friendly shows -- my kids love Studio C)
Watch ESPN (through which I can watch free ESPN3 because my ISP is a participating partner)
MLB.TV (through which I can watch a Free Game of the Day for the entire regular season)
Pandora
TuneIn Radio
iHeart Radio
PBS
PBS Kids
CBS News (24/7 news)
Vevo (music videos)
Smithsonian Channel (includes full episodes of past programs)
TED (fantastic education program on a host of topics)
Watch ABC (a few of the most recent episodes of most programs for from 7 days after airing)
NBC (a few of the most recent episodes of most programs from 7 days after airing)
Pluto TV (curated web content presented in a linear format from around the internet)
WeatherNation
SkyNews

Of course, I also subscribe to some streaming services, but I consider all those list above as pretty good free content.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

gkl

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm

FX4 wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:
Basil wrote:
FX4 wrote:

Hmm, don't know about that. Smart phones came around in what 2007? They just made me mobile but did not change any of my other habits. I have had a dedicated internet connection since 1997. Before that I used dial up.

I agree. We are actually paying $5/month less for internet service now than we did before we "cut the cord". Far more Americans have broadband internet than households who are cord cutters.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

dfgsrzwer

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Ace wrote:
Why has no one here mentioned "Mirroring". It can be done on a Roku 3 if you have Windows 8. You can watch ANYTHING you can play on your computer doing that. So if you have Windows 8 then you can watch your Free Hulu!

It has been mentioned, but it isn't exactly convenient. Even easier would be to just hook up your TV as a monitor, but that isn't convenient either.

And not everyone has Windows 8. I'm still using Vista (it came installed on my laptop, and is good enough; Windows 7 did not justify the cost and the less said about the abomination that is Windows 8 the better).

And to you people above responding to my post about cost of internet:

I guess you just skipped over my last sentence...
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

gkl

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:10 pm

CableBoy wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:
Hulu Plus (now just Hulu) concept has been around for a while, so you made an assumption without research. That is on you the consumer. You have to pay for the Hulu Plus to get it on Roku, Mobile devices, etc. I think Hulu via website is going to be subscription only soon anyways.

If your grand plan was to get something for nothing, nope, not going to happen. Again, you could have researched this much better. You made a bad assumption. Mainstream media is going to cost you to get it on your TV. You can look into building an HTPC, which might get around some of the issues, but networks/mainstreams are limiting even websites to cable subscriptions now, so that won't work for long either.

Hello trekkeriii,

You got that right. I was spending too much time doing research on Roku 3 vs Apple TV vs etc.... That was the research I was doing. I should have been doing more research on content, like HULU. This is where I dropped the ball. It still does not make any sense that I can get HULU for free on my laptop hooked up to my TV but not on the ROKU. I never even gave that a thought. To me its like getting free gas for your car, unless you drive a red car. Red cars have to pay.

I think I am going to go with Sling TV for $20 and keep my laptop hooked up to my TV for free HULU movies. I just have to keep pulling HDMI cables.

Thanks for your comments.

I have a small, inexpensive PC attached to my living room TV, which also serves as a media server. I don't use it that much to watch content directly though services such as Hulu, but it works fine when I do. I primarily bought it as a media server, but it works fine to supplement my streaming boxes. Sure, having free Hulu on the Roku would be great, but it is only a minor nuisance to switch sources over the the PC when desired.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

vnazario

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Ace wrote:

Ace

Hello:

I just want to clarify something about your statement. Just because you have Windows 8 or newer PC/OS and a Roku 3, 4, HDMI stick does not mean that you can do screen mirroring. Your laptop or PC must support Intel WiDi technology for this to work. Also, you need a fast computer and fast network speed. Otherwise video being mirrored will not sync properly with the audio and you will get a lot of buffering and pausing. So, you need to have all the "optimum requirements" for you to have a pleasant experience with screen mirroring. With that said, the screen mirroring option is not really easily available for everyone.

Roku has many casting options but they are still quite buggy and have some limitations but some seem to work better than others. I personally use PlayTo and FireFox Android Beta. More recently I have been playing with RokuCast but the browser extension still needs work. It needs to be set in Developer mode and its video/checking scanning is not that great. Works 75% of the time with HTML5 sites and not at all with flash video. Chromecast is still the better option for casting from web Browser to device. I have a Nexus player (which has CC support included) and browser casting works a lot better than RokuCast with the browser extension on Roku.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

kbd48

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Free content on Roku has gotten much better over the past year. CBSN, Newsy, CWseed, ABC, NBC, History, TubiTV, Popcornflix, Pandora, etc.
Personally I see Internet as a utility like electricity. Luckily I have a local ISP without any drama, no price increases in the past two years, no calling, no fighting with my ISP. I would want Internet even without video streaming, so I don't add that to my cord cutting cost.
BTW average cable bill is $99 a month, just imagine how nice of a cord cutting package you can put together for less than that cost. Sling TV, Netflix, and Hulu for a fraction of that cost.

Ken N Tx

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:35 am

CableBoy wrote:
First of all, I do not have cable TV. Never had it, so I am not a cord cutter. I have been using over the air TV, Renting DVD's and watching the free movies on Hulu. I used to hook up my laptop to my TV and watch HULU all the time. I watched over 150 movies in the last year. All free.

Ditto to the above..

My question is...If I get Amazon Prime will it open "sign in to watch" Channels ??? :?: :?: