Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blackcows
Topic Author

Roku Would't Connect in Hotel Room...Redirect?

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:03 am

Yesterday was my first attempt at using my Roku 2 for travel. I connect the Roku to the hotel TV, ran through the WiFi set up and kept getting an error in regards to internet connection. I had thought I would get a prompt that said "are you in a dorm or hotel" or something similar to that but instead I kept getting an error message telling me to contact my internet service provider. The internet in the hotel did not require any log in information but when I would access it via iPhone or Tablet a splash screen would come up letting you know you were being redirected. It required no use input.

Any ideas how I can connect? This is a hotel I stay out on a regular basis.

Mike

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku Would't Connect in Hotel Room...Redirect?

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:33 am

blackcows wrote:
Yesterday was my first attempt at using my Roku 2 for travel. I connect the Roku to the hotel TV, ran through the WiFi set up and kept getting an error in regards to internet connection. I had thought I would get a prompt that said "are you in a dorm or hotel" or something similar to that but instead I kept getting an error message telling me to contact my internet service provider. The internet in the hotel did not require any log in information but when I would access it via iPhone or Tablet a splash screen would come up letting you know you were being redirected. It required no use input.

Any ideas how I can connect? This is a hotel I stay out on a regular basis.

Mike

Settings > System >Advanced system settings > Device connect : Enable Device connect
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

blackcows
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:51 pm

It was set that way.

trekkeriii

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Which Roku 2 model do you have? I think only the Roku 2 (4210X) model released in 2015 has the Dorm/Hotel connect ability. You have to have Wi-Fi direct on the Roku, Tablet or Phone then connects to the Roku and authenticates via the browser on the Phone/Tablet.

https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -or-hotel-
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

blackcows
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

I have the newest model.

Instead of this....
Step 4: After you see the red “X”, the Hotel & Dorm Connect dialog box will appear.
Select “I am at a hotel or college dorm”.

I got an error code 009 and it told me to contact the service provider

trekkeriii

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:01 pm

blackcows wrote:
I have the newest model.

Instead of this....
Step 4: After you see the red “X”, the Hotel & Dorm Connect dialog box will appear.
Select “I am at a hotel or college dorm”.

I got an error code 009 and it told me to contact the service provider

Looks like the hotel is using a method that is not Roku compatible then. It's a DNS lookup error. Somehow the Roku is not connecting to a DNS server.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

blackcows
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just bought a HooToo Travel Router....http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-e ... outer.html

This is a hotel I stay at on a regular basis, should this allow me to connect?

BackInTime

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:23 pm

This has worked for me with a Roku 2 HD at a Hilton brand hotel. I happen to be web app developer so this solution jumped out at me as soon as i figured out that my Roku wouldn't work since it doesn't have a web browser.

1. Connect to the hhonors wifi through the Roku to write down the IP Address that gets assigned to it.
2. Write down the MAC address of the Roku
3. Connect your laptop to the wifi. NOTE: You will need to copy the url of the 1st page of the hhonors authentication. THIS IS CRUCIAL

It will look something like this:

http://somehiltonproperty.wayport.net/i ... &VlanId=20

here is what you need to change
CC%3a6D%3aA0%3a4D%3a58%3a4C - This is the MAC address of your laptop. If you disregard the %3a in the section, it translates to CC:6D:A0:4D:58:4C.

192%2e168%2e2%2e11 - This is the IP Address the hotel gave your laptop. Disregard the %2e in the section. it translates to 192.168.2.11

if you replace the MAC address and IP address in the URL and paste it into your browser, you will get the page rendered as if your laptop is your roku.

Sign in and enjoy!

-Marty

CanMan14

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:15 pm

I've found that generally the "Hotel/Dorm room redirect" feature works quite well. Though sometimes I'm at hotels where it simply fails to work. Something related to how the hotel implements the pop-up.

For example if (when connecting directly to the hotel's wifi and not using the Roku), in hotels where the authentication box on computers is usually not a typical webpage but a window that can't be moved into the background, has no other controls etc. On Android, it similarly doesn't come up as a webpage but as an Android generated sign-in page. In those cases after connecting to the Roku wifi, the logon page is never displayed. And hence I need to revert to the old technique of MAC address cloning.

Anyone experience something similar and can put a more descriptive name to the type of captive portal that's not compatible with this (otherwise great) Roku hotel/dorm feature?