Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

howie43
Topic Author

Connecting To TV Without HDMI

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:25 am

I would be very interested to know if anyone can help me with the following:

I have a new Roku 2 4205EU, with HDMI but no RCA connectors. I want to be able to stream to an oldish but top quality B&O television, which has no HDMI. The TV is currently connected to a Humax PVR, which does have an HDMI socket, currently unused as the TV is connected to it by scart. I also have an HDMI to Composite/S-video converter with HDMI input and RCA Composite & S-video and R/L Audio outputs.

My question is, does anyone know of a way that I can stream films from the Roku to the TV using any combination of the above items. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Connecting To TV Without HDMI

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:32 am

if the PVR is HDCP compliant I would hook roku to pvr to tv but my guess is that the HDMI on the PVR is out rather than in ( which wont help)

the converter ... is it powered or just a cable?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

blackcows

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:33 am

Not sure how you can do it with the Roku 2 but I know the Roku 1 has an RCA connection.

Basil

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:44 am

howie43 wrote:
I have a new Roku 2 4205EU, with HDMI but no RCA connectors. I want to be able to stream to an oldish but top quality B&O television, which has no HDMI. The TV is currently connected to a Humax PVR, which does have an HDMI socket, currently unused as the TV is connected to it by scart. I also have an HDMI to Composite/S-video converter with HDMI input and RCA Composite & S-video and R/L Audio outputs.

My question is, does anyone know of a way that I can stream films from the Roku to the TV using any combination of the above items. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer.

You should be able to connect the HDMI output on the Roku 2 to the input on the Converter, then go from the composite out there to the TV.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

howie43
Topic Author

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:53 am

Thank you for the very fast responses!

@knuckle - You are right about the HDMI on the PVR being out only . I just found the user manual.

The converter is actually mains powered with its own 5v. DC transformer.

@Basil - I have tried that to the RCA inputs on the TV but I think they may be just for using the TV as a monitor.

@blackcows - that's what the converter is meant to be for.

Basil

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:07 am

howie43 wrote:
@Basil - I have tried that to the RCA inputs on the TV but I think they may be just for using the TV as a monitor.

The yellow video input would be for that (monitor). Are you saying the TV has no RCA-type audio inputs (red and white)?

What's the model number on the TV? Do you have a manual?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

howie43
Topic Author

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:46 am

@Basil

The television is a Bang & Olufsen 6-26. It does have red, white and yellow RCA inputs but according to the manual these are for temporary connections, such as a video camera.

Basil

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:12 am

howie43 wrote:
@Basil

The television is a Bang & Olufsen 6-26. It does have red, white and yellow RCA inputs but according to the manual these are for temporary connections, such as a video camera.

Well, leaving an item plugged in shouldn't hurt. A composite signal from a video camera is the same as a composite signal from a DVD player, a VCR, a Roku 1, an HDMI converter, or any other composite output device.

But, on the back, you have a component input (AV3?). It's designed as component, with Red, Green, and Blue jacks. Here's the thing... some manufacturers make it as hybrid composite/component input. When that's the case (and I don't know if it is for that model TV) the component Green functions as composite Yellow. You could try connecting a composite device that way (yellow to green, video red and blue empty) and see what happens.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

T_J

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:01 pm

I used to have a Roku XDS connected to both a HDTV (with HDMI) and a RF Modulator (with S-video). The RF Modulator sent video and audio over 75-foot coax to an old TV in another room. (coax had been used for DirecTV)
Roku >> your HDMI to composite/s-video converter >> RF Modulator >> coax >> old TV
And keep your Humax PVR connected as it was. RF modulators are like $10 on Amazon.
I'd personally go from your converter to the TV red, white, and yellow ports, and not buy any new adapters/converters.
RF modulator suggestion VOID if OTA antenna coax is already connected to this TV.