Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blackcows
Topic Author

How do the Channels Determine Cable Eligibility?

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:39 am

Set up a Roku for a friend, I have a cable subscription with ESPN and added the channel to their Roku. Went through the log in process and it worked at my house. My assumption was that it knew my location and that I was on my internet provided by the same provider as my cable and therefore it worked. I assumed once the device was in their home where they had no cable it would not work but it does. Is the eligibility provided purely by my log in information from my cable provider and nothing else?

I ask because I have a Roku that I will be using for travel, if I set up some Roku channels based on my cable providers log in info will they work where ever I go as long as I have wifi?

Mike

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Re: How do the Channels Determine Cable Eligibility?

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:45 am

yes Mike,purely by login however it may require you to log in more frequently if your Cable co notice it is being used by two different ISPs
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

twiceover

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 am

Mine seems to do it via modem. My parents tried to watch something with their account at my house :wink: and it came up saying "automatically authorized via your modem".

mike_ekim

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:04 am

twiceover wrote:
Mine seems to do it via modem. My parents tried to watch something with their account at my house :wink: and it came up saying "automatically authorized via your modem".

I wish mine did that. Who is your ISP? And which channels does that work with?

thetick

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:51 am

mike_ekim wrote:
twiceover wrote:

That would not be used for any third party authentication. It is very likely a service offered by the ISP.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

twiceover

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:55 am

thetick wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:
twiceover wrote:

That would not be used for any third party authentication. It is very likely a service offered by the ISP.

It was the History Channel, I chose "their" provider from the list (I use the same company for my internet) and instead of asking for any credentials it said something to the effect of "automatically authorized via your modem". and then didn't let me in because I don't have cable.

thetick

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:10 am

Seriously that would be very easy to spoof. No media company would allow a cable company to do this for authentication.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS