Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario

Re: HBO Now on main menu

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:17 pm

kbd48 wrote:
So I guess this will be a regular thing
Hi everyone, from time to time, we auto-install channels to give fans and potential fans quick access to try out our partner’s free trials. You can remove or move channels with the * (options) button. - Roku

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... howing_up/

Because, you know, we are too stupid to decide whether we actually want a channel or not, so they need to stick it under our nose (and it has nothing to do with getting money from companies). Yes, I should have just cut my losses a few years ago.

Hello:

" (and it has nothing to do with getting money from companies). " Are you sure about this comment? Believe me, my friend. It is ALWAYS about the money. I'm sure Roku makes money on advertising on the main banner ad, Roku Recommends channel and from "partners" to be able to use advanced SDK's for the more sophisticated channels. I remember reading about Roku charging premiums for channel developers not too long ago. Roku can't sustain itself on just the sales of its streaming players and TV Manufacturer Roku OS software licenses. They also make money from M-Go (And maybe other pay-per-view) services.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

dfgsrzwer

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Remember guys, this is a free service. You don't get to dictate what will happen.

I mentioned first world problems up thread. Since this is free, it doesn't even deserve that distinction.
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Folks, it's just freakin' TV. Just delete it and get on with your life, assuming you actually have one...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Elijah_Baley

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Just wondering how Roku chooses devices to add these channels to as I have never seen them. The following are selections that "could" have an effect so I will list them and what my settings are just to see if there is any commonality in those of us that don't see the added channels or a common setting for those that do. These are listed in no particular order. The channels listed are the ones that I think might have an effect but there could be others:

Privacy - Limit ad tracking checked
Screen mirroring - disabled
Movie and TV Store - Hidden
News - Hidden
Enable featured themes - Disabled
Netflix - Not installed
Amazon - installed

Also I do not have any of the other premium channels installed like Hulu, Showtime, HBO Go or any sports channel except Watch ESPN and MLS.

I have had Rokus since they were introduced (I have a N1000 but it is not active) but I closed that original account and opened a new one a few years ago.

I have been a beta tester but I am no longer one.

Most of those settings/channel/conditions would really seem in no way to be able to relate to Roku shoving channels down peoples throats but they are some that I think could be in some way related. Also no one I know has had the rogue channels show up and in that limited set I see no pattern.

Whatever I am doing or have done to avoid the intrusion I would like to continue. In fact I would like it to continue even if it is just dumb luck.

I really doubt the "luck" idea as I do not seem to be blessed with the "luck" gene and I see no reason that should have changed just for Roku.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Bacon

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:44 pm

mauiman wrote:
Bacon wrote:
You actually probably did give Roku permission to add channels to your home screen when you agreed to their TOS.

I'm astounded people get so upset about this. Were you this mad about the preloaded channels when you first bought the device?

The TOS? Really?
Elijah Bailey ( a supposed retired lawyer here) told me over and over that TOS agreements don't mean a thing, they don't hold up in court etc.
I never gave Roku permission to alter, add, subtract, change the order of or make any other changes to my channel lineup without my expressed permission.
Period.

A TOS probably isn't legal binding, but I'm not sure on what grounds you think you have some sort of legal case against Roku for putting HBO Now on your home screen to begin with lol.

kbd48

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:59 pm

vnazario wrote:
kbd48 wrote:
So I guess this will be a regular thing
Hi everyone, from time to time, we auto-install channels to give fans and potential fans quick access to try out our partner’s free trials. You can remove or move channels with the * (options) button. - Roku

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... howing_up/

Because, you know, we are too stupid to decide whether we actually want a channel or not, so they need to stick it under our nose (and it has nothing to do with getting money from companies). Yes, I should have just cut my losses a few years ago.

Hello:

" (and it has nothing to do with getting money from companies). " Are you sure about this comment? Believe me, my friend. It is ALWAYS about the money. I'm sure Roku makes money on advertising on the main banner ad, Roku Recommends channel and from "partners" to be able to use advanced SDK's for the more sophisticated channels. I remember reading about Roku charging premiums for channel developers not too long ago. Roku can't sustain itself on just the sales of its streaming players and TV Manufacturer Roku OS software licenses. They also make money from M-Go (And maybe other pay-per-view) services.

should have added: /s but I thought it was evident :)

JordanHarris

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Wow, you guys would really stop using Roku just because they added a channel to your device? I agree that they probably shouldn't do that, but it's such a small problem that it shouldn't really affect you. I just pressed a few buttons to delete it and got on with my life. I like Roku so I really don't mind pressing a few buttons to make them some money. Same thing with the ads. They don't bother me at all (and can actually be useful at times). If that helps them by being the best device with the most content (having ads attracts services to their platform), then I'm cool with it. It's quite shocking to see how stressed people can get over such a small thing. I'm sure any product or service will do something that you don't like every once in a while.

DBDukes

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Basil wrote:
Just woke up the Roku 3, and lo! and behold! there is an HBO Now app right there on the main menu.

The app has been out a few months (October?) and I never added it to my Roku because, well, I don't want it. But, kinda like what happened with Showtime a few months back, it showed up. Position 6 for me.

An ad for it, fine. It'll get exposure, and if I want it, I'll look at it. But just up and putting on there for me? Not cool, Roku. Not cool at all.

See what you started?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

mikebdoss

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm

JordanHarris wrote:
Wow, you guys would really stop using Roku just because they added a channel to your device? I agree that they probably shouldn't do that, but it's such a small problem that it shouldn't really affect you. I just pressed a few buttons to delete it and got on with my life. I like Roku so I really don't mind pressing a few buttons to make them some money. Same thing with the ads. They don't bother me at all (and can actually be useful at times). If that helps them by being the best device with the most content (having ads attracts services to their platform), then I'm cool with it. It's quite shocking to see how stressed people can get over such a small thing. I'm sure any product or service will do something that you don't like every once in a while.

Exactly. I don't like it, but it's not even close to a big deal. The gnashing of teeth and threats here are laughable.

trekkeriii

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Add a PIN number to authorize Channel adds. Apparently that will prevent the auto-installs. This apparently is the method to opt-out of this. Comes from the reddit link posted earlier.

Reminder, Roku needs revenue for maintaining the servers giving your the Channel Store and Firmware updates, especially with the older models. Would you rather Roku have a more limited support of the older devices? or make you pay for extended support? Have even worse CS representatives than they have now?

One thing I do wish Roku would do is communicate better. I know from an IT perspective it's difficult, but something like this should be better communicated.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

kbd48

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:01 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Add a PIN number to authorize Channel adds. Apparently that will prevent the auto-installs. This apparently is the method to opt-out of this. Comes from the reddit link posted earlier.

Reminder, Roku needs revenue for maintaining the servers giving your the Channel Store and Firmware updates, especially with the older models. Would you rather Roku have a more limited support of the older devices? or make you pay for extended support? Have even worse CS representatives than they have now?

One thing I do wish Roku would do is communicate better. I know from an IT perspective it's difficult, but something like this should be better communicated.

Agree. Roku could have communicated both its server problems and the opt-out option better and up front, would have saved some frustration. Also they should keep in mind the less tech savvy who are confused by having channels foisted upon them.
As for money, most of us here want to see Roku succeed despite our frustrations with them. I would suggest a better, long term way to raise funds is to offer to collect money from subscription services like Netflix, Sling TV, and other services. Would be useful to the consumer to pay once in one place and could help fund Roku. They have apparently started doing that with Hulu. Just be up front about it and don't antagonize the people you are going to need as customers going forward :)

JordanHarris

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Just wondering how Roku chooses devices to add these channels to as I have never seen them. The following are selections that "could" have an effect so I will list them and what my settings are just to see if there is any commonality in those of us that don't see the added channels or a common setting for those that do. These are listed in no particular order. The channels listed are the ones that I think might have an effect but there could be others:

Privacy - Limit ad tracking checked
Screen mirroring - disabled
Movie and TV Store - Hidden
News - Hidden
Enable featured themes - Disabled
Netflix - Not installed
Amazon - installed

Also I do not have any of the other premium channels installed like Hulu, Showtime, HBO Go or any sports channel except Watch ESPN and MLS.

I have had Rokus since they were introduced (I have a N1000 but it is not active) but I closed that original account and opened a new one a few years ago.

I have been a beta tester but I am no longer one.

Most of those settings/channel/conditions would really seem in no way to be able to relate to Roku shoving channels down peoples throats but they are some that I think could be in some way related. Also no one I know has had the rogue channels show up and in that limited set I see no pattern.

Whatever I am doing or have done to avoid the intrusion I would like to continue. In fact I would like it to continue even if it is just dumb luck.

I really doubt the "luck" idea as I do not seem to be blessed with the "luck" gene and I see no reason that should have changed just for Roku.

My guess would be that they added it to people's devices that are eligible for the trial included with newer Rokus. That's just a guess though, but it makes sense.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:45 pm

JordanHarris wrote:
My guess would be that they added it to people's devices that are eligible for the trial included with newer Rokus. That's just a guess though, but it makes sense.

Actually I "think" trekkeriii may have nailed it. I have a pin for ch additions and that "may" be what the difference is.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

dgrace

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:01 am

At least it isn't secretly downloading Windows 10 and installing Chrome.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Arwen

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:22 am

kc8pql wrote:
Folks, it's just freakin' TV. Just delete it and get on with your life, assuming you actually have one...

Yes, this is more or less what I did. (Other than read this thread to be sure I did not do anything to get it...)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth