Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bacon

Re: HBO Now on main menu

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:44 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
JordanHarris wrote:
My guess would be that they added it to people's devices that are eligible for the trial included with newer Rokus. That's just a guess though, but it makes sense.

Actually I "think" trekkeriii may have nailed it. I have a pin for ch additions and that "may" be what the difference is.

I don't have a pin set and haven't gotten them either, but I"m also a HBO GO and Showtime Anytime user.

shadoecat

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am

Bacon wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:
JordanHarris wrote:
My guess would be that they added it to people's devices that are eligible for the trial included with newer Rokus. That's just a guess though, but it makes sense.

Actually I "think" trekkeriii may have nailed it. I have a pin for ch additions and that "may" be what the difference is.

I don't have a pin set and haven't gotten them either, but I"m also a HBO GO and Showtime Anytime user.

I'm an HBO Go user, but I did receive HBO Now, but just deleted it.

mauiman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:17 am

Bacon wrote:
mauiman wrote:
Bacon wrote:
You actually probably did give Roku permission to add channels to your home screen when you agreed to their TOS.

I'm astounded people get so upset about this. Were you this mad about the preloaded channels when you first bought the device?

The TOS? Really?
Elijah Bailey ( a supposed retired lawyer here) told me over and over that TOS agreements don't mean a thing, they don't hold up in court etc.
I never gave Roku permission to alter, add, subtract, change the order of or make any other changes to my channel lineup without my expressed permission.
Period.

A TOS probably isn't legal binding, but I'm not sure on what grounds you think you have some sort of legal case against Roku for putting HBO Now on your home screen to begin with lol.

I never said I had a legal case against Roku. What I said was I never gave Roku permission to randomly add or delete channels on my Roku player. Learn to READ people.
Roku SOLD me the player, therefore it is MINE, not theirs. When Roku starts giving players for free, they can add or remove channels from MY Roku. Until then, STOP.
The channels, according to EVERYTHING I have EVER read here, are the property of the channel owner, not Roku. In fact, anytime there is an issue with ANY channel, advice is always given to "contact the channel, as Roku has nothing to do with them". Therefore, by default, if Roku has nothing to do with the channels, Roku has NO authority to add or delete channels from the player I OWN because I bought it from them.
Last edited by mauiman on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 am

People know what you said. They are making fun of you because you are making a mountain out of a molehill. All of your posts have been over-the-top.

Mellow...
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

mauiman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:28 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
People know what you said. They are making fun of you because you are making a mountain out of a molehill. All of your posts have been over-the-top.

Mellow...

Willful ignorance. You choose to attack me rather than seeing the very real issue. Millions just like you out there globally.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:33 am

mauiman wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:

Mellow...

Willful ignorance. You choose to attack me rather than seeing the very real issue. Millions just like you out there globally.

There are billions of us that can tell the difference between a real problem and a minor nuisance. Most of us also know what we really deserve and what is an imaginary entitlement.
1080p and 720p TVs

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 am

mauiman wrote:

Explain the real issue. Explain so I can be less ignorant.

Also, yes, you bought and own the hardware, but you are subscribed to the Channel Store and get Firmware updates. Roku OWNS the channel store and the servers hosting, you don't. You're the one that is not reading well, Roku is not responsible for the development and the delivery of the content within the channel (aside from a firmware level bug causing issues), but they are responsible for maintaining the Channel Store, which includes testing the channels before they hit the Public Channel Store (major updates to major channels typically go through the beta like the new firmware updates do) and removing channels that violate Roku's Developer Agreement (this includes Private Channels). Private channels are a whole other animal as well (the original idea was to be able to test channels before hitting the channel store). HBO and Showtime obviously gave Roku some revenue to advertise their channel, which put the responsibility on Roku to decide to do this or not.

The real issue here is honestly lack of communication from Roku. If they were upfront and told us the PIN number trick to start with, I think this would be a non-issue.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Basil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Bacon

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm

mauiman wrote:
Bacon wrote:
mauiman wrote:
Bacon wrote:
You actually probably did give Roku permission to add channels to your home screen when you agreed to their TOS.

I'm astounded people get so upset about this. Were you this mad about the preloaded channels when you first bought the device?

The TOS? Really?
Elijah Bailey ( a supposed retired lawyer here) told me over and over that TOS agreements don't mean a thing, they don't hold up in court etc.
I never gave Roku permission to alter, add, subtract, change the order of or make any other changes to my channel lineup without my expressed permission.
Period.

A TOS probably isn't legal binding, but I'm not sure on what grounds you think you have some sort of legal case against Roku for putting HBO Now on your home screen to begin with lol.

Roku has NO authority to add or delete channels from the player I OWN because I bought it from them.

Yeah they do.

mauiman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
mauiman wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:

Mellow...

There are billions of us that can tell the difference between a real problem and a minor nuisance. Most of us also know what we really deserve and what is an imaginary entitlement.

Imaginary entitlement, it is now huh?
I "imagined" buying the Roku hardware, did I?
I "imagined" adding both public and private channels to MY Roku, which I bought and paid for, therefore OWN. Roku has repeatedly told us they do not control channels nor do they have any control of any channels unless they violate TOS.
I should not therefore feel "entitled" to add or subtract channels on MY Roku that I paid for and own, right?
Who should be entitled to adding or removing channels? Roku I guess according to idiots here.
I'm not imagining an entitlement. I bought the box. It's MINE. I own it. I should be able to add or subtract channels at my leisure. Roku does not own the hardware nor do they own the channels. They should NOT have the right to add channels to my Roku. Period.

mauiman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:53 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
mauiman wrote:

Also, yes, you bought and own the hardware, but you are subscribed to the Channel Store and get Firmware updates. Roku OWNS the channel store and the servers hosting, you don't. You're the one that is not reading well, Roku is not responsible for the development and the delivery of the content within the channel (aside from a firmware level bug causing issues), but they are responsible for maintaining the Channel Store, which includes testing the channels before they hit the Public Channel Store (major updates to major channels typically go through the beta like the new firmware updates do) and removing channels that violate Roku's Developer Agreement (this includes Private Channels). Private channels are a whole other animal as well (the original idea was to be able to test channels before hitting the channel store). HBO and Showtime obviously gave Roku some revenue to advertise their channel, which put the responsibility on Roku to decide to do this or not.

The real issue here is honestly lack of communication from Roku. If they were upfront and told us the PIN number trick to start with, I think this would be a non-issue.

I've explained the real issue. No one here knows how to read, so explaining it again to you, when I already have on more than one occasion would be futile. Learn to read.
I've explained it already. Show me in black and white where I agreed to allow Roku to add or remove channels from my player, which I own? I'm not leasing or renting it. Roku does not and will not have any credit card information from me, so it's futile for them or HBO to add a channel to my Roku. Roku does NOT own my player. They do not have my permission to add or remove anything from MY player. What part of that do all you fan boys not understand?

Voldemort

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:26 pm

trekkeriii wrote:

I'm not sure this will help you, but...

People buy a box which promises 'thousands of channels'. Then they learn only 1% are even remotely entertaining. They figure out that 'The Fox News Channel' and all the other apps bearing names resembling cable channels are not what Comcast offers. They have problems related to the shaky state of the art of streaming -- buffering, loss of connection, and poor quality. If they are fortunate enough to find the Roku web site or these forums, they ask questions which are met with a snarky, unhelpful litany of 'you aren't doing it right', 'your network is broken', 'your ISP is at fault', 'the service is responsible', and 'Roku doesn't write the apps'. Then an update rolls out and your streamer doesn't work. At this point, the usual suspects jump on the thread to deny the problem exists. Then Roku* asks you for ticket numbers, serial numbers, and a whole bunch of stuff. When you come back with the witch's broom, nothing happens. Then Roku* disappears. Then the usual suspects start relaying rumors of an imminent fix. Then nothing happens for a long time. Then there is an update and other things break. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Are you less ignorant now? No? Click this link...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90003&start=225#p513040

Threads are closed, complainers are banned, and the usual suspects start leaking rumors.

The Roku 2 XS has been broken since the release of the Roku 3. It's been THREE YEARS and Roku has not even acknowledged a problem.

Are you less ignorant now?

Then the usual suspects assail the people looking for help without any kind of reaction from 'The Hammer'. Then someone posts something like this and the thread is locked, deleted, etc.

That creates a LOT of animosity towards the usual suspects, the 'support' team, the products, and the company. And THAT leads to lost sales...

I know this is much bigger than an unwanted app showing up on the home screen. That's the problem. If Roku was awesome and support was...supportive and everything else was fine, the unexpected arrival of an unwanted app would not be a big deal. When this unwanted app is the cherry on top of the poop sundae of a bad product with terrible support, then the people eating the poop sundae take the opportunity to vent a bit. Think of this thread as the block in Ferguson where the mayor let the masses burn and break at will. In Ferguson, the usual suspects backed off and let the mob tire themselves out. That is my advice to you and the others.

Are you less ignorant now?
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

kc8pql

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Here we go again... :roll:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mikebdoss

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm

Voldemort wrote:

Ignoring everything else you wrote for obvious reasons, your chart isn't a particularly effective means of displaying that Roku is losing sales, as it's comparing market share, specifically against three other companies (Amazon, Google and Apple) that are three of the largest tech companies in the world. There are no numbers in that chart - you can't compare sales that way. Given that all three of these huge companies with their huge marketing departments and huge business connections released/updated products in that time frame, and that Roku is STILL the largest market share, says FAR more about how well Roku is doing, not how poorly.

dfgsrzwer

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:53 pm

mauiman wrote:
No one here knows how to read, so explaining it again to you, when I already have on more than one occasion would be futile.

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Everyone that has replied to you before that post are thinking the same thing of you.

You own a piece of plastic and metal. The software on that piece of plastic and metal is not owned by you (you ARE renting it, for free, since it relies upon the internet to work...this isn't a stand-alone OS). Without that software (which is free by the way, did I mention that?), you have a paperwieght. You are free to stop using the software and use the paperweight if you wish. Anything more than that is imaginary entitlement.

You are also free to rant about it to strangers if you wish, and those strangers can be entertained by it...I do hope you come to your senses and stop though, so this thread can die. Nobody is ADDING *anything constructive.

Nobody, not one person, thinks this was a good idea or is happy about this. But only you are getting unreasonably bent out of shape over this.

*I, and others, have repeated themselves and since this is a written medium repetition is not necessary
Last edited by dfgsrzwer on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1080p and 720p TVs