Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

oxzide
Topic Author

Roku 4 Question

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:42 pm

I recently purchased a Roku 4 and have experienced some of the issues that many other users have. The main issues I've experienced are: lip sync off, SlingTV crashes or degrades in quality after a short while, difficulty waking up after screen savers have run for awhile (automatic shutoff is disabled). In my house we have a few game systems, Apple TV 3rd gen, and FireTV Stick that do not suffer from these issues. I have a high performance router with plenty of broadband speed to feed this machine so I'm confident these aren't factors.

I have a few days left before I can no longer return this unit. I've already returned one that would not sync to the remote or see any routers (bad wifi module is my guess). My question is, should I hold on to this unit and wait for software fixes or take this unit back and get the Roku 3?

This is my first Roku purchase and I specifically chose it over the 4th gen Apple TV. My household has plenty of Apple products, but I wanted something that is neutral in the streaming hardware market, has SlingTV, and is future proof. I really like the Roku interface and the amount of channels that are offered so I will continue to use a Roku streaming device, just not sure which one - 3 or 4?

Frankp999

Re: Roku 4 Question

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm

I have the lip sync issue with the Roku 4 also. I am about to return mine also.i had Roku 3 that didn't have the lip sync issues. If there were recognition from Roku itself of the issue, I would keep the 4. But, since no solution seems forthcoming I'm gonna put the Roku3 back in service and ship the 4 back. It's frustrating when new and improved isn't.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Honestly, if you don't need the Optical Port or the 4k, get a Roku 3 (or even a 2, same device, but with a Infrared remote). You'll be happy and less money spent. Wait for Roku 4 to get the bugs out and you are ready for 4k.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 pm

^ This.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Squatting Hen

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:03 am

If you are fine dealing with the current issues, then I would keep the Roku 4. I would assume they would be fixed soon, but I am surprised they haven't been already....

If you want the "best" Roku available "today", then return the 4 and get the 3. I have had numerous Roku's over the years and the Roku 3 has been the most trouble free player thus far. This is very important for the family as the Roku is our primary (99.9%) used device. I had two Roku 3's recently. I gave away one of my 3's to purchase the 4. I am having issues with my 4 as well, and last week, I found a deal on a new 3 so I did purchase that. If my issues continue I will unbox the 3, replace the 4 and bring it back out once the issues have been resolved.

FX4

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 am

That is the thing right? You would expect their flagship model to get top priority on bug fixes and features and it is not. Kind of disturbing.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)