I got it to work. Not sure what the exact thing was that worked for me, but here was the sequence of events:
1. Initially opened the box, hooked it up per instructions, logged into my wifi successfuly, and the unit downloaded an update. At that point, everything went to heck. Couldn't connect to my wifi after that. Here's what happened next:
2. Powered unit off and on. No help.
3. Powered router off an on. No help.
4. Went to the secret wifi screen, and disabled pings. No help.
5. Turned unit off and back on. No help.
6. Reset the Roku. No help.
7. Logged into my Actiontec router, saw that the router acknowledged that the Roku was there on the network, but it was listed as inactive.
8. On a whim (because I wanted to do it anyway, and I was signed into the router) I changed the wifi password.
9. Shut off TV, then Roku, then the router. Made breakfast and coffee.
10. Turned on the router. Checked to make sure I could log into wifi with my phone and laptops.
11. Turned on roku and TV. Went through the setup. Now it works.
I think it was the smell of bacon that did it.