Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jxwalter10
Topic Author

Repetitive Ads on News Stream = Counterproductive (ARGH!!!)

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:37 am

Watching news channels on Roku becomes unbearable because for some reason only one ad is shown every few stories. The forum already has a post from 2014 (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=67159) about a Downy Commercial coming up over and over again, today its a Red Lobster commercial. I cant tell you how unappealing it is to watch the same shrimp and bacon commercial 20 times in a 1 hour of TV, and its been the same commercial three days in a row.

Aside from being completely counter productive (i hate you now Red Lobster), it makes no sense at all. how is it that on commercial TV or online streaming like Youtube, there are hundreds and hundreds of ads (even cheesy local ones) vying for your attention, yet on this highly visible Roku news channel off the home screen, only one ad makes the cut?

I don't like ads in general, but will suffer thru them as the price of admission. Fine. But the same one over and over makes me cringe! I think about a year ago the single ad was for some kind of feminine product, a double whammy of non-value for me (sorry ladies).

Whats up with that Roku???

Some stories on over-advetising:
http://www.psmag.com/business-economics ... sing-92572
http://www.inc.com/erik-sherman/are-you ... rload.html
http://blog.hulu.com/2011/10/03/the-pow ... vertising/
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87926

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Repetitive Ads on News Stream = Counterproductive (ARGH!

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:28 am

Are you under the mistaken impression that Roku is inserting commercials? Do you also think that RCA is inserting ads on your television? Or that Ford is putting up billboards for Red Lobster that you see on your drive to work? Or on the radio during same drive? No. You know the different between those devices (the physical TV, radio, or automobile) and the ads you encounter while using it. You somehow seem to have lost that perspective with your streaming device.

Your complaint about the number and repetition of ads is valid, until you ask "What's up Roku?" It's not Roku. It's the channel (app) owner and service that is running ad-supported content.

Put so many that's it's too much of a distraction and, yes, I'll stop watching it. I'm defending the use of ads to keep costs down (free, because nothing really is, despite what some campaigning for office will tell you). I won't defend the over-bombardment of ads. But I'm not blaming Roku. Just like I don't blame RCA (or Vizio) and I'm not blaming Ford (or Chevrolet).

Keep a proper perspective.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

trekkeriii

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 am

Ironically the company we are talking about is the same one that sent me many free coasters (CDs) back in the late 90s, lol. Talking about repetitive advertising.

It's a FREE service. Keep that in mind. Don't like it, don't use it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

kc8pql

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:16 am

From the Forum Rules at the top of the page:
Do NOT cross-post to multiple topics the exact same issue.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

vnazario

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:19 am

Hello:

I personally understand the need of ad-placements so the content owners can generate revenue and offer it to us for free. But the issue is the repetitious same one commercial over and over and over. Watching the same commercial after every 90 second clip is a bit over-kill and a major turn-off. If they want to generate money and make us watch ads....no problem. Just give us more variety and shuffling of ads (Like traditional TV) OR give us a "Skip Ad" function after a few seconds (They will get paid anyways). Sometimes the same commercial is played more than once (typically two times consecutively) so it makes it more of a "down your throat" experience.

We should tie the developers to a chair and make them watch their channels non-stop for 48 hours continuously so they can feel the pain and improve on this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

dfgsrzwer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Ads are supposed to be "down your throat"... no one would watch them otherwise.

Oh, and I have mentioned this in the past: the "traditional tv" local stations here often do the same thing with their local ads.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

trekkeriii

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Early days of Hulu Plus, I got the same ads all the time. I remember that Wine commercial with the ice sculpture contest back in the day.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

Basil

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

dfgsrzwer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:15 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Early days of Hulu Plus, I got the same ads all the time. I remember that Wine commercial with the ice sculpture contest back in the day.

Or Crackle. The same Skittles commercial, 3 times per break, every break.

Some channels HAVE to do it; they don't have enough sponsers.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Mrs Madrigal

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 pm

It's not just News Stream where one finds NUMEROUS, and yes repetitive ads. Adswarming is happening all over the "free" Roku channel universe.

Although most ads run at about 15 seconds in duration, the vast majority of these intrusive and remarkably annoying ads invade my personal viewing pleasure anywhere from 3 minutes to 7 minutes into the programming. Every now and then the ads will begin before the opening credits have ended! No less than four commercial breaks in a 30 minute time period is ridiculous. Roku's ad play is worse than broadcast television.

I can fully appreciate capitalism; however, when one is FORCED to lose the continuity of the program being viewed, it is disturbing. When one is forced to lose continuity with the same ad over and over and over and ov...you get the idea, it's nothing less than being abundantly disrespectful to the customer!

Basil made an effort to defend the Gods of Roku by indicating that it is not Roku that's responsible for the ubiquitous and insidious ads, but the channel/app owners themselves. Hogwash! It is Roku that vetts and subsequently inserts these annoying ads into programming -- but only after collecting their fees. The only decision channel/app owners make is whether or not to take on advertisers.

So, I join you is asking, WHAT'S UP, ROKU?!

Adswarm much, Roku?

trekkeriii

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Mrs Madrigal wrote:
It's not just News Stream where one finds NUMEROUS, and yes repetitive ads. Adswarming is happening all over the "free" Roku channel universe.

Although most ads run at about 15 seconds in duration, the vast majority of these intrusive and remarkably annoying ads invade my personal viewing pleasure anywhere from 3 minutes to 7 minutes into the programming. Every now and then the ads will begin before the opening credits have ended! No less than four commercial breaks in a 30 minute time period is ridiculous. Roku's ad play is worse than broadcast television.

I can fully appreciate capitalism; however, when one is FORCED to lose the continuity of the program being viewed, it is disturbing. When one is forced to lose continuity with the same ad over and over and over and ov...you get the idea, it's nothing less than being abundantly disrespectful to the customer!

Basil made an effort to defend the Gods of Roku by indicating that it is not Roku that's responsible for the ubiquitous and insidious ads, but the channel/app owners themselves. Hogwash! It is Roku that vetts and subsequently inserts these annoying ads into programming -- but only after collecting their fees. The only decision channel/app owners make is whether or not to take on advertisers.

So, I join you is asking, WHAT'S UP, ROKU?!

Adswarm much, Roku?

Your statement that Roku is inserting the ads is incorrect, and I would like the know the "source" of your statement and how you came to that conclusion before you make another argument. Roku does not produce the ads or insert the ads. Also, Roku does not make money from this, either. Now if the channel provider decides to use Roku's Billing for their Channel, Roku does get a cut. If the Channel wants to have space in the side Poster on the Channel Screen, Roku gets paid for that. No time does an ad play on Hulu or any asRise channel (likely the developer you are talking about) pay Roku for the ads. The content providers do play the ads and get paid. Yes, Roku has it in their SDK for the channel developers to insert these ads, but that's as much as Roku does. You have a problem with a specific channel? Report it to the Channel Developer or just remove the channel and don't use it.

And I don't understand how repeating an ad is disrespectful or offensive. I guess I don't let such minor things bother me.

Oh, and my source? Knowledge from reading the Roku SDK and making a Private Roku Channel. Also, I am Network+ Certified and have a Computer Science Degree.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

renojim

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:15 am

trekkeriii, you're partially right, and partially wrong. Developers can rely solely on Roku to fill their ad slots. I don't know how many channels do, but I have a few channels that are entirely dependent on Roku to fill the ad slots. I have no control over the ads. Believe me, I hate that the same ads seem to play over and over again, but there's pretty much nothing I can do about it. They (Roku) keep telling me that things will improve, but I've been hearing that for several months. I'm sure Roku would blame it on the service they use to fill the ad slots, but they have to have more control over it than I do.

-JT

trekkeriii

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:28 am

renojim wrote:
trekkeriii, you're partially right, and partially wrong. Developers can rely solely on Roku to fill their ad slots. I don't know how many channels do, but I have a few channels that are entirely dependent on Roku to fill the ad slots. I have no control over the ads. Believe me, I hate that the same ads seem to play over and over again, but there's pretty much nothing I can do about it. They (Roku) keep telling me that things will improve, but I've been hearing that for several months. I'm sure Roku would blame it on the service they use to fill the ad slots, but they have to have more control over it than I do.

-JT

Gotcha, they probably use a provider for the ads. I guess the only thing Roku can do then is change providers assuming there's no contract, but then are there ad providers that don't do the same thing? I am seeing the H&R block commercial a lot. Again, I guess I look at it as who cares, there's more important things to worry about. I see ads diversifying as the concept gets more popular. I mean Hulu used to play the same ads all the time. Again, I remember back when Hulu Plus started, that darn Stella Artois Ice Sculpture commercial played all the time.

At least the puppy, monkey, baby commercial isn't the one repeating. The horror! lol

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=86593 <-- Info about the Roku Ad Framework.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

renojim

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:34 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
At least the puppy, monkey, baby commercial isn't the one repeating. The horror! lol

Right with you on that one! :lol:

-JT

Mrs Madrigal

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:21 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Your statement that Roku is inserting the ads is incorrect, and I would like the know the "source" of your statement and how you came to that conclusion before you make another argument. Roku does not produce the ads or insert the ads. Also, Roku does not make money from this, either. Now if the channel provider decides to use Roku's Billing for their Channel, Roku does get a cut. If the Channel wants to have space in the side Poster on the Channel Screen, Roku gets paid for that. No time does an ad play on Hulu or any asRise channel (likely the developer you are talking about) pay Roku for the ads. The content providers do play the ads and get paid. Yes, Roku has it in their SDK for the channel developers to insert these ads, but that's as much as Roku does. You have a problem with a specific channel? Report it to the Channel Developer or just remove the channel and don't use it.

And I don't understand how repeating an ad is disrespectful or offensive. I guess I don't let such minor things bother me.

Oh, and my source? Knowledge from reading the Roku SDK and making a Private Roku Channel. Also, I am Network+ Certified and have a Computer Science Degree.

Defensive much?

I find it interesting that you would appear to take my comment personally. I will, however, tell you that providing a "source" for my opinion won't be forthcoming, dear. It is based entirely on empirical evidence. You may be treated and yes, titillated, to future arguments by me regardless of your adorable caveat to the contrary.

A boy possessing such a robust intellectual acumen certainly doesn't require a reminder that says a SDK and marketing policy, procedure and protocol are almost always mutually exclusive.

Dear boy, if you can't, or refuse to, understand why the frequent, intrusive interruptions of ads can be considered offensive and disrespectful to the end user ... the customer ... then you clearly lack a customer-centric focus. If you are a tekhead then your position is probably irrelevant; however, I hasten to suggest you avoid sales or human resource professions as they will most likely offer end results amounting to nothing less than severe disappointment and deep frustration.

I am happy that you built a Roku channel. Did you make it by yourself? I'm sure it brings you hours of joy, dear.